Quantcast
2013 Golf Thread - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Golf Thread

My Ride
    Mom-van

As anyone who came out to Blue Devil to play knows, I basically ran everything at that course that wasn't Pro Shop, or Turf Care. My title was Sales & Marketing Manager/Admin Assistant. It should have been Sales & Marketing Manager/Admin Assistant/Membership Director/F&B Manager/Accountant/Payroll/Cart Girl/Marshall/Kiosk Girl/Mail Clerk/Controller/Office Manager/Office Bitch/Inventory/Scheduling.

We negotiated a fair salary with a bonus, and in return I was willing to work 60-80 hour weeks doing everything listed above and more. I understood the first year would be a shit show so I was enthusiastic about taking on different tasks. I went to Miami last week of October to play in that National Championship for the Golf Town tour and the Monday morning I returned, as I was getting ready to go to work, an error pops up on my phone. "Username or Password for Blue Devil Golf is incorrect"... I think HOLY SHIT. I was literally just joking in Miami about how weird my bosses were being towards me and that I wouldn't have a job to go back to. I figured, hey, I committed a crap load of time, energy, and dedication to the successful opening of this place... they wouldn't screw me like that, especially with me being a single mother. There were weeks on end where I would run to Okotoks to pick up my son from daycare and rush back out to the course for a few more hours. I was dedicated. So I go on the website to the contact page because my name was on there as part of the management team. Nope. Wasn't there. So, I knew what I was going into that morning.

The excuse Slade used was that I didn't go to the bank enough (I went 4 times per week which was hard to do in itself), and let things fall through the cracks. Hmmmm.... I WONDER WHY? For the amount of stuff I was responsible for at Blue Devil -- get this -- there are FIVE people who do that at Priddis. And not five because it's Priddis and they can afford it. Five because they need it: 1) Sales & Marketing Manager soon to be Membership Director (me); 2) Accountant; 3) A/P, A/R, Payroll; 4) Food & Beverage Manager; 5) Assistant Food & Beverage Manager; and, if you want to get technical, 6) Cart/Kiosk Girls. So yeah, a few things are definitely going to fall through the cracks. It's all bullshit excuses in order to hire someone in my place who I assume will get paid a fair amount less than me because for them, it's all about where they can cut costs and cut corners, and they don't give a flying shit about who they fuck over in the process.

In talking with many Golf Pros and even Turf Care workers who have been employed/have friends who have been employed at GlenEagles... same story from them. They will screw over whoever they can if it means saving them a couple hundred dollars here or there.

I considered filing a suit against them but didn't have the money to fight it obviously. I needed to get job searching. But, I won't hesitate to spread the word about what kind of 'shitty, stab your loyal friends in the back, screw over anyone you can', type of operation they run, and I will never again give them a cent of my money. I'm lucky others in the industry know this about the owners, because their "yeah she was good, but she can't add 2 plus 2" asshole reference they gave me (I was asked by my current boss, warned him, and obliged) was taken for what it was worth (nothing). Slade even had the balls to send me one of those automated "Congratulations on your new position!" emails on LinkedIn when I got hired and updated my profile.

So that's the story. I was bitter for quite some time and when I get talking about it, I still am. The crazy amount of time I invested is what pisses me off the most. The deal was work 60 hour weeks in the summer, then 30 hour weeks in the winter... no overtime ever paid since I was salary. They sure got me!

I can't be bitter because I ended up in a way better place with a boss who actually respects me, my education and experience, and lets me make decisions and have responsibility. Priddis is the best workplace I have ever worked. The team there is absolutely amazing and I consider myself extremely lucky. I've been there 3 months now and I believe now more than ever that everything happens for a reason. I am so lucky and grateful that Slade and Scott and the HeatherGlenEagles group screwed me over. LIFE IS GOOOOOOD!!!
    ~*Leah*~

My Ride
    Mom-van

Originally posted by vtec4life
    I like this tourny thing it sounds pretty cool!

FYI if you google alberta golf tour your website is not even on the front page!

Google optimize that sh*t.

How many players do you expect to have in each flight? Any registered players yet?
    Yes I need to get on that!! Good point... I only finished the website a month ago and it's getting re-done by a good friend of mine thank god cuz it looks like crap haha.

Usually Champ/A/B flights have the most players. Registrations are rolling in already and I haven't even put up posters at courses yet, so that's great! I would guess approx 20-25 in Mens flights and 10-20 in the others.
    ~*Leah*~

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Played there last Friday and I won't be going back there anytime soon but this type of shit seals their fate for me. Course isn't really ready to be open but they are just looking to make a buck. It was overpriced for the spring rates but the regular fees are just insane. There is no range, permanent club house, temporary tee boxes, casual water everywhere, etc.

Sorry that happened to you Leah, as you seemed really happy when I met you at BD last year. Hopefully I'll get a round out at Priddis this year and I'll be sure to say hi.

My Ride
    BMW X5

That's terrible to hear Leah! Glad your new job is going great!

Anyone know if the majority of courses will be open next week? Trying to pick a place to play on Wednesday afternoon and want to find somewhere that has decent conditions.

Thanks!

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

@Leah Glad you let us know what goes on behind the scenes. My best friend is organizing a tournament there this summer and I will be sure to let him know about how they treated you. I'm fairly certain I will need to help him find a new host course soon.

I'm happy you have moved on and ended up at Priddis. I know a few members and even more past staff and both sides praise the place. 36 awesome holes too... enough said

@Anton most courses should be open by next weds in the city. I'm playing hamptons on Saturday so let you know what kind of shape it's in. Darcy, Heritage Pointe, River Spirit, Elbow springs usually have nice early season conditions from my past experiences.

My Ride
    Mom-van

Originally posted by npham

Sorry that happened to you Leah, as you seemed really happy when I met you at BD last year. Hopefully I'll get a round out at Priddis this year and I'll be sure to say hi.
    I was super happy! As much as I had to do and put up with, I genuinely LOVED my job.

Originally posted by Anton
    That's terrible to hear Leah! Glad your new job is going great!

Anyone know if the majority of courses will be open next week? Trying to pick a place to play on Wednesday afternoon and want to find somewhere that has decent conditions.

Thanks!
    We are planning on getting our first 9 holes open on Tuesday, so I would imagine if we are opening -- pretty much every other close would be super close if not ready by Wednesday!

Originally posted by 20incheyes
    @Leah Glad you let us know what goes on behind the scenes. My best friend is organizing a tournament there this summer and I will be sure to let him know about how they treated you. I'm fairly certain I will need to help him find a new host course soon.

I'm happy you have moved on and ended up at Priddis. I know a few members and even more past staff and both sides praise the place. 36 awesome holes too... enough said
    Thanks! Priddis is definitely an amazing place to work and play!
    ~*Leah*~

I knew Blue Devil was a shit show... and it will fail, don't you worry. You will end out coming out ahead on that one. Priddis is a far better course and run much more efficiently.

Sometimes crap happens for a reason, you will be fine.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

Played yesterday at Valley Ridge in the ridiculous wind...one tee shot with the wind behind me was 362.

It was not enjoyable.

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

I've updated my top 25 list in the Calgary/Banff area.

I finally played Hamptons and even in the strong winds on Saturday it impressed me. The course is awesome, the new best public 18 to play in Calgary.

Well this thread died....

Got about 12 rounds in thus far. Got the new Nike Covert driver and irons, love them both.

My Ride
    Mom-van

I have been playing like shiiiiiit. I played 4 rounds on Mother's Day weekend and shot 83, 99, 91, 89. However, shortly thereafter, I started having very bad back pain thinking I strained my back from 72 holes in 48 hours. Turns out I had/have a serious kidney infection which I am still in and out of the hospital dealing with so I am hoping my shitty play was because of the pain I was in. (Probably not but it's my excuse for now, and my handicap is going up which is kind of nice... less pressure) I suppose a treatable infection is better than a season ending back injury in the long run!
    ~*Leah*~

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
    Well this thread died....

Got about 12 rounds in thus far. Got the new Nike Covert driver and irons, love them both.
    I've yet to hit it, but I've heard nothing but good things. I already bought a 913, and have two shafts for it so I'm trying to avoid buying another driver and more shafts.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Haven't had time to get back into the swing of things (har har). Weather sucks right now.

Went back to the range a while back and I kept hooking! Time to fix the rustiness.

My Ride
    Lexus IS-F

If you haven't heard, The Hamptons Golf Club is now open to the general public for the very first time.

It's one of the nicest and best ranked golf courses in the city. I highly recommend the course if you have never played it before.

http://www.calgarygolfblog.com/2013/...al-public.html
    Calgary Deals Blog - All of Calgary's Best Deals in One Place.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by GDCivicSi
    If you haven't heard, The Hamptons Golf Club is now open to the general public for the very first time.

It's one of the nicest and best ranked golf courses in the city. I highly recommend the course if you have never played it before.

http://www.calgarygolfblog.com/2013/...al-public.html
    Expanding their clientele? Nice.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Played Mount Kidd on the weekend. Pretty nice condition. They've been replacing the greens, so they are fresh sod, but overall, course is in nice shape, and it's early season rates for a while now. For me, one of the best values in Alberta.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1998 BMW 328i

Originally posted by flipstah

They had too. I a guy I work with worked their part time in the summer for free rounds. They just didnt have the income to continue operating anymore. It was sell and open up to Semi Private or close completely apparently.
    Koenigsegg, what started as a dream just blew your doors off.

My Ride
    Lexus IS-F

I'm assuming they didn't have enough members to keep the course private.

I played there a couple years ago with a member and was shocked by how empty the course was on a beautiful sunny day on the weekend. There wasn't anyone in at least 3 holes in front or behind us. We took our time and played 2 balls each.
    Calgary Deals Blog - All of Calgary's Best Deals in One Place.

My Ride
    Mom-van

Not sure if anyone saw this or not but just a little plug for my tour. Registration closes on Monday for my Thursday Speargrass event. But very nice of the Calgary Herald and Brody Mark to write up this article about the AGT!

http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald...4-737acfe88f24
    ~*Leah*~

My Ride
    BMW

Not sure if thats a good thing, the condition of the course is like crap now. Played there twice this year.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast