Quantcast
What do you miss about when you were young? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you miss about when you were young?

Default What do you miss about when you were young?

Was sort of thinking about the "old days" (I'm only 29... almost 30...) when I was reading about the pussification thread in the society section of our forum and how different things were when I was growing up and I just started thinking:

-I miss hanging out with friends on the weekend. I mean, I go for beers now, but I miss renting a video game and movies and going over to their house for a full weekend playing the video game friday night, next day going bike riding and having water gun fights, then coming home to pizza or an awesome home cooked meal, then watching the movie. After that, usually building a fort and then playing the video game until we crashed asleep in the fort, only to take up the next morning and go biking all over again.

-Speaking of renting stuff, I miss Blockbuster & Rogers , or when I lived in Stettler from grades 1-5, I miss the small mom & pop rental store. I miss loading into the truck and driving down there and looking for a movie or game to rent with family and friends. Or I miss when a new video game was released and taunting each other in school about who's mom would make it to the video store first to rent it for us

-I miss playgrounds and having unlimited energy. Seriously, think about it. When you were a kid, you were a friggen superhero. Monkey bars? no problem, I used to be able to swing on these and pull myself up all day. Playing soccor in the afternoon then hockey in the evening? Sure, no problem!

-I miss celebrating things. I miss the freedom and lack of fear of having to offend people by doing things that made me have fun. Why should I feel guilty for celebrating Christmas or Halloween ? Those holidays are awesome! Even if you don't follow the beliefs - you get butt loads of candy and you get time off work/school. Not to mention, it's a great time to have family/friends together.

-I miss saturday morning cartoons. I tried to LOOK for cartoons to watch a few months back on a saturday and there was hardly anything , and anything I could find was seriously mind fuck stuff that would Ren & Stimpy to shame. Not to mention, that appears to be very little, or no plot at all in the shows now... least Ninja Turtles had some form of a story/consistancy ... even if it was just made to sell toys

That's just a few, curious to see what you guys will drum up.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    This and that.

I just miss the relatively stress free life you have as a kid. At the time it feels stressful because of school, exams etc and you can't wait to be done with it all and start working. But when that happens you miss the old times and actually want to return to them as it is even more stressful in 'real' life.

I always looked forward to being done with studies and never having to do them again after finishing university, getting called to the bar etc. But I am realizing now that the field I picked, I will be 'studying' one way or the other all my life haha. That being said, I wouldn't change it for anything in the world and I thank God for bringing me this far and hopefully taking me farther.

I also miss not knowing anything about love/romance/relationships as a kid. Be absolutely free to do whatever and not think about anyone, miss anyone or suffer any heartache and pain.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 01-24-2013 at 10:43 AM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

I was just talking about this same thing yesterday.

I blame the Internet on the pussification.

Street Hockey is probably my favorite thing I miss as a kid.

Do Kids still play street hockey? Or is there some sort of Social media App for it?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    '19 GTI

When I was in wpg - got lost on a side street and saw the whole "car"! Thing.. Haha. Brought me back for sure, it was also then that I realized you don't really see kids playing street hockey much!

... So probably an app for that, besides - kids playing on the street is pretty dangerous!!! You know a car could run them over..
    Would somebody think of the children!!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

summer holidays... 2 full months of no responsibility. no need to make an income. just two month to do whatever you want...

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: What do you miss about when you were young?

Originally posted by 403Gemini

That's just a few, curious to see what you guys will drum up.
    You pretty much nailed everything on the head, lol.

I also miss old school comic strips, like Calvin & Hobbes, and The Far Side.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Skateboard

I miss taking a full roll of quarters to the arcade in Beddington Town Square and going nuts on R-Type all afternoon.

My Ride
    K20A2

Originally posted by ercchry
    summer holidays... 2 full months of no responsibility. no need to make an income. just two month to do whatever you want...

Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    93 integra

I miss playing in the woods with friends.

I miss building snow forts and having snowball fights.

Building our own dirtbike trails.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by G
    I miss taking a full roll of quarters to the arcade in Beddington Town Square and going nuts on R-Type all afternoon.
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge RACCCCCCCCCCCCCERRR!

Easy street in Chinook. Best ever.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by ercchry
    +1.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Big wheels with hand brake.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    DC4 turbo

GYM CLASS!!!! my only good subject!

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I miss having a body that a) didn't jiggle at all, and b) didn't hurt constantly.

Seriously... now I have bouts of gout in my feet, gallstones, and a chronic sore back. To get my ass out of bed and out the door feels like I'm walking around in a 60 pound lead suit most of the time. Carting around my 16 pound baby in my arms makes my back feel like it's on fire after 15 minutes.

I'm 37 and not even probably halfway through my life. I can't even imagine how I'm going to feel come retirement.

On the flip side, I started getting very serious migraines starting around grade 2-3 and subsiding around grade 9 or 10. I'd gladly deal with the shit I'm dealing with now if it means I don't have to deal with those headaches. (And the accompanying nausea)

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Touching minors without legal ramifications! Ammiright guys?!

Originally posted by Darkane

Street Hockey is probably my favorite thing I miss as a kid.

Do Kids still play street hockey? Or is there some sort of Social media App for it?

They fucking made a bylaw against it.

I miss things like GT Snowracers with teh giant metal brake, riding my bike on the sidewalk, no helmet.

Wizards Castle for sure!

Renting nintendo games, and leaving the damn NES on all weekend so you can finish Megaman 5, or Bubble Bobble with your buddies.

Tree houses

Bigwheels, Fanny packs.. (lol).. etc.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Alterac
    They fucking made a bylaw against it.
    Are you fucking serious? Please tell me you are making this up or someone tell me he has it wrong.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Are you fucking serious? Please tell me you are making this up or someone tell me he has it wrong.
    http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages...c/Streets.aspx

Basketball nets, skateboard ramps and hockey nets are not permitted on City streets, even temporarily

Skateboards or in-line skates are permitted on most City sidewalks or boulevards unless otherwise posted. They are not permitted within the Central Traffic Zone.

Children younger than 14-years-old may ride bicycles on the sidewalk.

In cases where a wheeled vehicle is permitted to be ridden on a City sidewalk or boulevard, it must be done in a safe manner that does not interfere with pedestrians.
    So, you can't use a hockey net, doesn't say anything about using makeshift ones though, (ie orange pylons, or whatever). Rather dumb bylaw, considering a net would STOP a puck or ball, rather than have it smash someones car window, lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    NC1

I miss nothing about it. Will go as far as saying I hated it.

No money=No fun

No vacations, no sports, no going out, it sucked.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Although I am still younger than almost all of you, I miss stress free life, skiing with my dad on weekends and playing endless games with friends, capture the flag, when I was 16-18 spending every penny on my car (which was a terrible idea).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast