Quantcast
Cost of installing tankless water heater - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cost of installing tankless water heater

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default Cost of installing tankless water heater

I dont mind buying it from the US if needed.

But what should I know before looking for an installer. people in the phone book are asking for over 4000.

Does they all need to be mounted to an exterior concrete wall? (gas of course)

My homes power is about 30 percent green energy from Solar, and considering i paid about 1$/watt Im not looking to spend too much

My Ride
    Lease

If u ask richardchan2002 first, every contractor you quote after would seem like a great deal.

Why are you looking to install a tankless water heater? Hope it's not for economics. The cost differential will take you over 20 years to recoup. And by that time you'll likely need a new system. Not to mention yearly maintenance costs to descale a tankless system.
    $4000 is average for Calgary. Supplied and Installed.

My Ride
    BMW, should buy Toyota

Default hmm

Don't do it. Complete waste of $. You will also now have to worry about balancing(where you locate the unit) in your house if you don't want to wait 1-2 minutes for hot water at certain tap/faucet locations. To do them properly you really need one unit per floor. A hot water tank is a way better idea and a heck of a lot cheaper.

If you want to be really fancy and don't have a finished basement you can even do a recirc line and pump off of a hot water tank and have almost instantly hot water and still be thousands under the price of one of these units.

You are looking around 4K installed for what you asked.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    Why are you looking to install a tankless water heater? Hope it's not for economics. The cost differential will take you over 20 years to recoup. And by that time you'll likely need a new system. Not to mention yearly maintenance costs to descale a tankless system.
    $4000 is average for Calgary. Supplied and Installed.
    that was with me supplying the heater.

-old tank leaking due not maintaining drain hole from what members tell me
    -old tank is not as efficient as newer stuff
    -from what I see cost of a tankless from US is about 800-1500
    -good for a household of 5 maybe a pending kid in the future.
    -i dont mind paying 1500-1800 for the system plus install but really should be straight forward.

-basement not developed

My Ride
    BMW, should buy Toyota

Default hmm

If you want efficiency you could look to an Electric hot water tank too. Just an option. The gas ones seem to be a bit more expensive to run at least where I live.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Tankless heaters are junk.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Originally posted by thetransporter

that was with me supplying the heater.

-old tank leaking due not maintaining drain hole from what members tell me
    -old tank is not as efficient as newer stuff
    -from what I see cost of a tankless from US is about 800-1500
    -good for a household of 5 maybe a pending kid in the future.
    -i dont mind paying 1500-1800 for the system plus install but really should be straight forward.

-basement not developed
    The reason they quote such a high install rate for labour only, is because first of all, they're losing markup on the product. Secondly, they have no idea what unit you're going to supply. Plumbers HATE having customers supply product. You won't save any money, as there's usually twice as much work involved. Plumbers use and know what products work well, and are familiar with their install. I see this all the time. New manufacturers, missing parts, local wholesalers don't have the parts required, plumbers not familiar with the particular model....all adds to more time and labour. The best way is to get a reputable plumber and say "put a system in my house, please". He'll give you the best one for your budget. As I said...most tankless are going in for around the $4k mark.

A good 50 gallon traditional gas powered tank will give you all the hot water you'll need for a family of 5. It will cost you around a grand, installed. Simple.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by C_Dave45

The reason they quote such a high install rate for labour only, is because first of all, they're losing markup on the product. Secondly, they have no idea what unit you're going to supply. Plumbers HATE having customers supply product. You won't save any money, as there's usually twice as much work involved. Plumbers use and know what products work well, and are familiar with their install. I see this all the time. New manufacturers, missing parts, local wholesalers don't have the parts required, plumbers not familiar with the particular model....all adds to more time and labour. The best way is to get a reputable plumber and say "put a system in my house, please". He'll give you the best one for your budget. As I said...most tankless are going in for around the $4k mark.

A good 50 gallon traditional gas powered tank will give you all the hot water you'll need for a family of 5. It will cost you around a grand, installed. Simple.
    So just go with traditional?

The guy said he is dry on tankless heaters they are selling quickly and suggested the model to buy.

But that being said - i spent $6500 with Sears for new furnace system (super quiet) but it is leaking water from the inlets right into it - I did do a call 3 weeks ago and still waiting for a call back - and thats something they supplied.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Transporter, they're better than they used to be but they are still garbage. My good friend owns a large plumbing company here in Saskatoon, they do all the new homes for the two largest builders in the city and they refuse to spec them anymore. They will only install when the customer insists upon it as they were needing to have a full time guy running around doing service calls on them, especially in winter.

They're problematic, temperamental and just not worth it.

Do what Dave says, you'll get a tried and true product that's going to serve all your needs and only ever need an odd thermocoupler or dip tube in the next ten years - if anything.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 01-27-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    something green

Rinnai or Noritz, those brands have been around forever and are as reliable as the sun coming up.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default Re: hmm

Originally posted by gram
    Don't do it. Complete waste of $. You will also now have to worry about balancing(where you locate the unit) in your house if you don't want to wait 1-2 minutes for hot water at certain tap/faucet locations. To do them properly you really need one unit per floor. A hot water tank is a way better idea and a heck of a lot cheaper.

If you want to be really fancy and don't have a finished basement you can even do a recirc line and pump off of a hot water tank and have almost instantly hot water and still be thousands under the price of one of these units.

You are looking around 4K installed for what you asked.

thank you very much i will just go with the traditional . Whats the best way for a straight swap?

If you have a large bathtub you might want to get a larger heater than you currently have, my wife is always running short of hot water for her bath. We have a large bathtub with jets, I assume most homes do these days.

Dave would know more about these things.

My Ride
    335i

Default Re: Re: hmm

Originally posted by thetransporter

thank you very much i will just go with the traditional . Whats the best way for a straight swap?
    Home depot + a plumber. Or Pete the Plumber has a deal for $715 installed (40gal) or $905 for a 50 gal. I priced out a tankless as well but I can't justify spending even $3k for one because, as Dave and others have said, it'll take decades to recoup and I can't run my hot water tank dry right now anyway.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    BMW, should buy Toyota

Default hey

OP: If you do go the Home Depot route make sure that your hot water tank has the pressure relief valve on the side and not on the bottom. Some of the ones that they sell has the valve at the bottom and they are not as good as the older more tested side mounted ones.

It will be something that does not matter to 90% of people but it is nice that if your hot water tank does decide to flake on you that you have control of where the water blows out from(just a FYI) and personal preference.

If you can find the brand John Wood in Calgary they are awesome. I'm not sure if they have them there but they are very good with warranty. We just had one replaced at 7.5 yrs old (they have an 8 yr warranty) and they simply replace it with a brand new unit instead of throwing parts at it.

My Ride
    something green

You can still do a recirc line with a tankless FYI. Whoever is charging 4k for a residential tankless install is burning people.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

The tankless systems aren't worth it from a purely economic standpoint. They're easily 3 times a tank system in cost, and at best they'll save you 30% on your water heating bill. In real numbers? My water heating bill in the summer, with using my NG BBQ 4 times a week? $9.83 in NG. So you're saving $3/month, for something that's going to cost you $2000+ to install. Plus that extra heat that's lost? It's going into my house, so it's not really lost...

Unless you have a specific need, or you just like the "cool" factor.... it doesn't make sense. I put in a 50G tank when I had to replace mine, high recovery, and I haven't run out of hot water yet, even filling our big ass soaker tub.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Originally posted by Maxt
    You can still do a recirc line with a tankless FYI. Whoever is charging 4k for a residential tankless install is burning people.
    That's "installed"...meaning both the system as well as labour. What kind of prices are you getting? I'm getting my prices from the last half a dozen reno jobs I've been on. Direct from the contractor and my plumber buddy.

My Ride
    AWOL

I don't know anything about tank vs. tankless but I am curious... why does the rest of the planet, especially Europe and Asia, run on-demand water heating systems? Usually see electric in Europe (no gas?) and gas in Asia (expensive power, limited/bottled gas??)

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Grogador
    I don't know anything about tank vs. tankless but I am curious... why does the rest of the planet, especially Europe and Asia, run on-demand water heating systems? Usually see electric in Europe (no gas?) and gas in Asia (expensive power, limited/bottled gas??)
    You basically covered it, plus an even bigger issue; space!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast