Quantcast
Montessori - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Montessori

My Ride
    W204

Default Montessori

For any parents out there, did you register your kid in a Montessori program? Or did you not? Any specific reasons? Looking for more info. Thanks.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Axis powers

Our daughter is currently registered in the program, it was more my wife who wanted to do it, not really sure why except to get more exposure to kids, personal development and life experiences
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Submitted an application at MMEC in the currie barracks.

Looked at some others including Waldorf. Not interested in Waldorf as I think you need to be granola. haha.

I have heard that at a parents night, they brought back old students that graduated from Waldorf and each one of them said they went on to the arts.

Montessori appeals to us only because our 22 month old talks like a 40 month old. We don't want his language development stunted because other kids in the class can only say 2-3 words together. He needs development in many other areas and Montessori seems to cater to what he wants to do. Dunno if we will get in as there are 13+ applications for 9 spots in the toddler program.

After the toddler program, we aren't sure if we will keep him there or move him to a public school. They don't seem to have any physical education. I do want my kid to learn to play dodge ball, basket ball, etc... Webber has crossed out minds, but it is hella expensive and I would rather buy an E63. LOL

My Ride
    W204

Yeah we're thinking of switching over my boy, who's in kindergarten, over to Montessori... I feel like we're getting jacked cause a buddy in ON told me it's much cheaper there. Well we'll see. We've got an interview tonight.

I don't know yet if I agree completely with their philosophy:

Is Montessori right for our family?

Montessori supports the developmental potential of children. Montessori may not, however, be right for all families. A positive experience for the child requires that parents and the school share a common idea of the purpose of education. If parents enroll their child for the wrong reasons, the child may experience tension and unhappiness.

The following questions can help you determine if Montessori is the right choice for your family.

Do I encourage my child to make choices and to take responsibility at home?
    Do I support the emphasis on cooperation rather than competition in the Montessori Program?
    Do I support the Montessori belief in fostering children's self-reliance, responsibility, and independence?
    Is my approach to discipline based upon natural and logical consequences rather than "rewards and punishments?"
    Do I believe that my child would benefit from having the responsibility for choosing appropriate learning activities and materials?
    Do I support the Montessori classroom organization that includes three "grades" of students?
    Do I support the three-year learning cycle as many learning goals are long term?
    Do I support Maria Montessori's statement that, "education is not what the teacher gives, it is a natural process spontaneously carried out by the human individual?"
    Am I prepared to participate in parent meetings and workshops to learn more about Montessori principles at school and at home?
    Do I believe in using anecdotal notes and Montessori checklists, rather than traditional, graded report cards?

If you answer "no" to one or more of these statements please seek more information before registering in a Montessori program. If your beliefs are not reasonably similar to the underlying principles of Montessori education then your child will face confusion and uncertainty as he or she moves between home and school.
    We're putting him in the program more because of his temperament than actual book smarts (i.e. he's halfway through kindergarten and only recognizing and sounding out letters).
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I like the no homework part... lol

My wife almost (she is still considering it) pulled the trigger on getting a teaching certificate from Montessori. Waldorf has an interesting learning angle as well, both are worthy of consideration, it all depends on the child obviously. Personally after hearing for years the pluses of each program you'd be hard pressed to find better learning environments. If you have the ability to cover the longer term costs, I'd go for it.

Montessori educated people you have heard of:

http://www.dailymontessori.com/monte...ucated-people/

Waldorf educated:

http://www.diewaldorfs.waldorf.net/list.html
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 01-29-2013 at 10:23 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Perfect example of what I was talking about with Waldorf. The majority of the list is people in the arts.

Montessori has some technical and business people.

My Ride
    IS350 AWD F-sport

If I'm not mistaken, you live pretty close to Webber, don't you (see your C all the time)?
    My daughter is/was like your son, she excels in language development. From my own experience I noticed that a kid needs to be mature enough to organize her thoughts and articulate those via words and vocabs as well. I'm assuming your kid is a bit more mature than his friends around him.

I don't know if Webber attracts parents whose kids tend to be more mature, or if they do run a pretty good program. Most of the kids I see in JK and K are very well behaved and they are goal oriented.

So before you put down a deposit on your E63S, go to their open house and check it out.

Our daughter used to go to Brite Studio for preschool. I have nothing but praise for their programs, teachers, and facility.

Originally posted by benyl
    Submitted an application at MMEC in the currie barracks.

Looked at some others including Waldorf. Not interested in Waldorf as I think you need to be granola. haha.

I have heard that at a parents night, they brought back old students that graduated from Waldorf and each one of them said they went on to the arts.

Montessori appeals to us only because our 22 month old talks like a 40 month old. We don't want his language development stunted because other kids in the class can only say 2-3 words together. He needs development in many other areas and Montessori seems to cater to what he wants to do. Dunno if we will get in as there are 13+ applications for 9 spots in the toddler program.

After the toddler program, we aren't sure if we will keep him there or move him to a public school. They don't seem to have any physical education. I do want my kid to learn to play dodge ball, basket ball, etc... Webber has crossed out minds, but it is hella expensive and I would rather buy an E63. LOL

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by spiceboy
    If I'm not mistaken, you live pretty close to Webber, don't you (see your C all the time)?
    My daughter is/was like your son, she excels in language development. From my own experience I noticed that a kid needs to be mature enough to organize her thoughts and articulate those via words and vocabs as well. I'm assuming your kid is a bit more mature than his friends around him.

I don't know if Webber attracts parents whose kids tend to be more mature, or if they do run a pretty good program. Most of the kids I see in JK and K are very well behaved and they are goal oriented.

So before you put down a deposit on your E63S, go to their open house and check it out.

Our daughter used to go to Brite Studio for preschool. I have nothing but praise for their programs, teachers, and facility.

Yes, we have a tough time with our son sometimes. We forget that he isn't even 2 yet. He understand tenses. For instance, when eating he says: "I am eating rice." When asked: "What did you eat for lunch?" He says: "I ate rice"

He can string 10 word or more sentences together that are grammatically correct. It's insane.

Yet when he gets frustrated now and doesn't get what he wants, he lays on the ground and says he wants to take a nap.

He understands size and can correlate distance. (Over there and WAY over there).

Brite Studios came off as more of a daycare to me. We went to their open house and were not impressed with the attitude of some of the teachers.

Are they Montessori certified?

We are planning on going to the Webber open house. I still want an E63...

Yes, we have a tough time with our son sometimes. We forget that he isn't even 2 yet. He understand tenses. For instance, when eating he says: "I am eating rice." When asked: "What did you eat for lunch?" He says: "I ate rice"

He can string 10 word or more sentences together that are grammatically correct. It's insane.

Yet when he gets frustrated now and doesn't get what he wants, he lays on the ground and says he wants to take a nap.

He understands size and can correlate distance. (Over there and WAY over there).

Brite Studios came off as more of a daycare to me. We went to their open house and were not impressed with the attitude of some of the teachers.

Motessori does not always make the best schooling choice just because they are smart. Often the super smart kids have a lot of trouble dealing with the lack of definitive structure in the program.

My son was extremely advanced at a young age as well (he was reading and writing at a high school level before he entered kindergarten on top of other things) and we started him in Montessori just after he turned 3 after trying different preschools. He did well with some aspects but it was a struggle in other ways, namely that lack of a definitive structure.

All I can say is give it a go and if it works with him, you will know it. If it doesn't, move on from it. I am a fan of the concept but realize not every kid responds well to it, and intelligence is not going to be the deciding factor...

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Where did he end up?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by tirebob

Motessori does not always make the best schooling choice just because they are smart. Often the super smart kids have a lot of trouble dealing with the lack of definitive structure in the program.
    We looked at some montesorri options, and figured that it was a poor fit for our daughter. To be honest, I think she'd do best in "regular" programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    W204

he was reading and writing at a high school level before he entered kindergarten on top of other things
    Dude, that's insane. Most high schoolers can't even read and write at a high school level.

jibber is offline slower than rage2 at the track
    My Ride
    2021 K1X FB20D GT Sport, 2012 K23 N50 VQ40 SV

It's not really that insane...

Back when I was in kindergarten, it was routine for them to bring in some kids from the Grade 6 class to read stories to the kindergarteners. I was asked to go read a story to the Grade 6 class when I was in kindergarten (A Wrinkle in Time IIRC)

I worked with the GATE program from 4 - 9 and I had similar struggles to some really smart kids in Montessori (lack of structure) and then when I went back into the regular curriculum in Grade 10 I almost couldn't cope because I had been sheltered from all the social issues I'd have to face in public schooling.

My youngest is now 16 months and I see shades of myself (which kinda scares me) I hope I can find something suitable for him that will not segregate him from "normal" kids his age. And if the best course of action is to take him out of public schooling so he can reach his potential then it must keep him seperate all the way until University so he doesn't have to go through the hell that I did in high school.
    Originally posted by RoseLover
    if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!

As far as I know there is only one AMI Recognized Montessori school in Calgary. This is the Montessori School of Calgary on Cliff st. Not to be confused with Calgary Montessori which has 3 locations around Calgary but I hear very good things about.

So many choices but I imagine all of the different Montessori programs all have certified teachers regardless of being officially recognized by AMI.
    Originally posted by R!zz0
    Did Calgary have a riot in 2004?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Just boobs. That's how we party.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by jibber

I worked with the GATE program from 4 - 9 and I had similar struggles to some really smart kids in Montessori (lack of structure) and then when I went back into the regular curriculum in Grade 10 I almost couldn't cope because I had been sheltered from all the social issues I'd have to face in public schooling.
    This is a huge factor.

We are looking at this with a lifelong commitment in mind and there is nothing for Montessori past Grade 6 at the moment.

I would expect the transition is tough.

As I said, we have applied, but who knows if we will follow through after the toddler program and maybe kindergarden.

My Ride
    IS350 AWD F-sport

I am not sure if Brite Studios itself is Montessori certified, because in the full day program they run a mix of Montessori + various programs. However I know for a fact that the instructor who runs the Montessori session (in the morning) is certified.

The morning session (Montessori) is structured but the afternoon one is more play-based and random. Perhaps that's the "daycare" mentality you were referring to?

Perhaps there are preschools that offer more structured programs, but when we were looking the 3 prerequisites were: 1) Proximity to our house, 2) clean, fun environment, 3) instructors know what they are doing and my kid gets to learn stuff instead of being in a "playgroup" all day.

Our experience was positive, and actually planning to send our little one there next year.

Webber is appealing to us because 1) they run a full day program with after-day care option, 2) proximity, 3) reputation. We were also looking at chartered schools but none in our district, and many of them don't have a full day or week program. Closest one is Westmount and their K school run every other day during the week (Mon/Wed/Fri, or Tues/Thurs/Fri)! How stupid is that? Obviously it would only work for households that only the dad/mom goes to work.

My Ride
    IS350 AWD F-sport

Yup. My friend owns a tuitoring centre and he's seen too many cases like this.
    Quite a few private school dropouts (various reasons) develop all sorts of issues when they tried to integrate back into public school system.

It is a lifelong commitment when it comes to private schools. Paycheques are going straight to them ....

Originally posted by jibber
    It's not really that insane...

Back when I was in kindergarten, it was routine for them to bring in some kids from the Grade 6 class to read stories to the kindergarteners. I was asked to go read a story to the Grade 6 class when I was in kindergarten (A Wrinkle in Time IIRC)

My youngest is now 16 months and I see shades of myself (which kinda scares me) I hope I can find something suitable for him that will not segregate him from "normal" kids his age. And if the best course of action is to take him out of public schooling so he can reach his potential then it must keep him seperate all the way until University so he doesn't have to go through the hell that I did in high school.

Where did he end up?
    We lived in Van at the time so that won't help you man... Sorry!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

We lived in Van at the time so that won't help you man... Sorry!
    Sure it will.

Did you send him to public, private, home schooling?

We aren't adverse to moving.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast