Quantcast
Montessori - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3
Results 41 to 58 of 58

Thread: Montessori

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    505
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Originally posted by G


    You're the exception not the norm. I have seen first hand in my family what some of these parents are like and how unhappy the kids are. My two cousins both moved across the country for school and never came back. They are not on speaking terms with their Dad. The Dad and I suprisingly have a pretty good relationship and he tells me he regrets not letting them pursue their own interests and forced what he thinks will do them good down their throat. He is super lonely now....holidays, birthdays, Chinese NY they are alone in their huge house because their kids will not come home. One's an engineer with a failing marrage because of daddy issues the other is a career student that doesn't know how to make a cup of tea.

    I am going to let my kids try a lot differents sports and music but they will have to pick at least one of each on their own to pursue further.
    I disagree about being the exception but it's difficult since different people can take different levels of pressure. I also know a family who put intense pressure on the kids with extremely strict rules and expectations. Of the 3 children only one really rebelled to any extent.

    Otherwise, of all the asian families I know of none resent their parent's to the point of your example. They all have examples of one thing or another. Maybe something they didn't particularly like but I would expect every kid has some examples of not liking their parent's choice for them. Overall though most still have relationships with their parent's to some extent.
    Originally posted by R!zz0
    Did Calgary have a riot in 2004?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Just boobs. That's how we party.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,234
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    All I know is that my two daughters need lots of formal activities, because holy fuck they have a lot of energy.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Anyone heard or tried the TLC program thru CBE?

    http://www.cbe.ab.ca/programs/choices/prog-tlc.asp

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,234
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Originally posted by cdnpip
    Anyone heard or tried the TLC program thru CBE?

    http://www.cbe.ab.ca/programs/choices/prog-tlc.asp
    Yeah it's basically the opposite of Montessori.

    I like to call it "old-school". Popular with immigrants. I think it's horrible.

  5. #45
    2002civic's Avatar
    2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/19 Passport
    Posts
    1,880
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Man it's weird coming on beyond and looking for child advice, but now I'm posting about my son...that being said my wife is all about the Montessori based learning.

    He's only 7 months, but we're looking at bright paths that has the montessori program for his daycare.

    Anyone have any recent experience with this?

    Pros/cons?

  6. #46
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    (maah raahde)
    Posts
    5,732
    Rep Power
    35

    Default


  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wildflower Ranch
    My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile
    Posts
    2,217
    Rep Power
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2002civic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man it's weird coming on beyond and looking for child advice, but now I'm posting about my son...that being said my wife is all about the Montessori based learning.

    He's only 7 months, but we're looking at bright paths that has the montessori program for his daycare.

    Anyone have any recent experience with this?

    Pros/cons?
    All Montessori schools are different. You really have to visit them and see for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    287
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    All three of my kids went to the Montessori in Westhills (unsure if it's still there). They were great as far as I could tell, though I wasn't really involved too much outside of "there's a thing you have to go to".

    They encouraged us to put our middle daughter in Westmount Charter afterward and that's been great for her, though she's heading to a different high school for basketball next year.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Not Aspen
    My Ride
    Two from Freemont
    Posts
    9,523
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2002civic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man it's weird coming on beyond and looking for child advice, but now I'm posting about my son...that being said my wife is all about the Montessori based learning.

    He's only 7 months, but we're looking at bright paths that has the montessori program for his daycare.

    Anyone have any recent experience with this?

    Pros/cons?
    What I've learned is every kid is different. Try everything.

    Our son went to Montessori pre-school at Killarney. Dropped out. He was bored as he couldn't get enough attention. I know Montessori is child led, but materials and guidance matter.
    Went to Waldorf, dropped out. It was terrible.
    Went to the Springbank pre-school and would only go if a parent waited outside the entire time. He had fun here. haha.

    Went to kindergarten no problem.

    Daughter went to Edelweiss. Dropped out.
    Went to a preschool in Wildwood. Dropped out.
    We gave up after this.

    Went to kindergarten fine.

    Basically, just because you think Montessori is the best, doesn't mean your child will agree. If you are ok with you kid crying the entire day (litterally), then force them to do what ever you want. We were not ok with that. Some parents are. I wouldn't judge a parent who is ok with it.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)
    Posts
    702
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Beny's right - Don't get hung up on a specific 'program' from pre-school and just find something the child will engage with. The feedback we've received from our kindergarten teachers is that the most important skills a child will learn in pre-school are all social... independence, conflict resolution, etc. This is particularly important for kids that haven't otherwise been well socialized in daycare or with siblings (i.e. the only child, or oldest).

    We haven't done any Montessori, but my understanding is that it can be quite influential on the child's learning habits & patterns, which may not jive with the structure of early elementary school... I'd want to be sure that I wasn't undermining my child's future (actual) education for what's essentially glorified playtime.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Summer car or work truck
    Posts
    375
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Bumpping this, since its that time of year. Also cant find the Parenting sub form.... need to enroll our oldest into school and looking at Montessori as an option. Anyone new positive/negative views? Seems like it may be better with the increase of WFH. Also i dont think i would have actually learned without structure.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    TRD Pro
    Posts
    2,453
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Both my boys went to Montessori in Britannia (in the Temple) and we didnt have any complaints other then the amount we paid. Very happy with what they came out with in terms of education and experience. The only downside (and its minor) is that when they went to grade 1, they found it tough to actually have to sit in a desk during the day and not have the ability to walk around and pick what they wanted to learn that day.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Summer car or work truck
    Posts
    375
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    We are looking at a montessori program at Captain John Palliser school in CBE. Not sure if it's different or what, bit I don't think there is and additional fee. Montessori offered up to grade 6. I assume they walk around picking what to learn until they enter grade 7. I could see it being a hard transition at that point for sure.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,929
    Rep Power
    69

    Default

    I think my daycare is Montessori whatever that means lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)
    Posts
    702
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Both my boys went to Montessori in Britannia (in the Temple) and we didnt have any complaints other then the amount we paid. Very happy with what they came out with in terms of education and experience. The only downside (and its minor) is that when they went to grade 1, they found it tough to actually have to sit in a desk during the day and not have the ability to walk around and pick what they wanted to learn that day.
    The transition to a regular elementary learning environment was something I mentioned in the last post pre-bump and still seems to be an issue.

    We've become friends with one of the admissions people at our school ( ) and have gained a lot insight to their priorities, criteria and process, especially since things are done virtually during COVID. FWIW, during admissions, kids coming out of Montessori preschools are watched more critically, as past experience indicates those kids end up being disruptive to their classes, simply for doing what they've been taught to do.

    Montessori in and of itself seems to be an excellent learning strategy, but the problem seems to be that it conflicts with how the rest of grade school generally operates... Knowing how - or if you even want - to manage that transition needs to be a major consideration up front.

    As always, every kid is different and the best thing a parent can do is find what works best for them. The fact that you're even thinking about this (as opposed to simply dumping them at whatever community daycare / preschool) is a great indicator and puts you well ahead of most parents
    Last edited by you&me; 01-20-2022 at 03:44 PM.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,858
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    key here is to home-school.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Summer car or work truck
    Posts
    375
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    key here is to home-school.
    Never in a million years

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    TRD Pro
    Posts
    2,453
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The transition to a regular elementary learning environment was something I mentioned in the last post pre-bump and still seems to be an issue.
    My eldest had the hardest time with the transition, but it was taken care of within the first few months. I will say that both were on the higher end of the class in terms of reading and math throughout those same periods though. (according to their teacher)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •