Quantcast
Montessori - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Montessori

Originally posted by G

You're the exception not the norm. I have seen first hand in my family what some of these parents are like and how unhappy the kids are. My two cousins both moved across the country for school and never came back. They are not on speaking terms with their Dad. The Dad and I suprisingly have a pretty good relationship and he tells me he regrets not letting them pursue their own interests and forced what he thinks will do them good down their throat. He is super lonely now....holidays, birthdays, Chinese NY they are alone in their huge house because their kids will not come home. One's an engineer with a failing marrage because of daddy issues the other is a career student that doesn't know how to make a cup of tea.

I am going to let my kids try a lot differents sports and music but they will have to pick at least one of each on their own to pursue further.
    I disagree about being the exception but it's difficult since different people can take different levels of pressure. I also know a family who put intense pressure on the kids with extremely strict rules and expectations. Of the 3 children only one really rebelled to any extent.

Otherwise, of all the asian families I know of none resent their parent's to the point of your example. They all have examples of one thing or another. Maybe something they didn't particularly like but I would expect every kid has some examples of not liking their parent's choice for them. Overall though most still have relationships with their parent's to some extent.
    Originally posted by R!zz0
    Did Calgary have a riot in 2004?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Just boobs. That's how we party.

All I know is that my two daughters need lots of formal activities, because holy fuck they have a lot of energy.

Anyone heard or tried the TLC program thru CBE?

http://www.cbe.ab.ca/programs/choices/prog-tlc.asp

Originally posted by cdnpip
    Anyone heard or tried the TLC program thru CBE?

http://www.cbe.ab.ca/programs/choices/prog-tlc.asp
    Yeah it's basically the opposite of Montessori.

I like to call it "old-school". Popular with immigrants. I think it's horrible.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/19 Passport

Man it's weird coming on beyond and looking for child advice, but now I'm posting about my son...that being said my wife is all about the Montessori based learning.

He's only 7 months, but we're looking at bright paths that has the montessori program for his daycare.

Anyone have any recent experience with this?

Pros/cons?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by 2002civic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man it's weird coming on beyond and looking for child advice, but now I'm posting about my son...that being said my wife is all about the Montessori based learning.

He's only 7 months, but we're looking at bright paths that has the montessori program for his daycare.

Pros/cons?
    All Montessori schools are different. You really have to visit them and see for yourself.
    Buy my mom's Testhla and get a free Public Mobile referral code from ES. https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/412...-AWD?p=4884182
    Faster, smarter, and more fun to drive than a 2017 VW Golf R, a 2007 Porsche 987 Cayman Sport Chrono, 1976 triumph tr6 classic; 2017 Subaru Forester XT Limited, 2009 Black Acura TSX, 2002 Bordeaux Red Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG, 1993 Mazda Miata and 2007 Honda S2000

All three of my kids went to the Montessori in Westhills (unsure if it's still there). They were great as far as I could tell, though I wasn't really involved too much outside of "there's a thing you have to go to".

They encouraged us to put our middle daughter in Westmount Charter afterward and that's been great for her, though she's heading to a different high school for basketball next year.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by 2002civic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Pros/cons?
    What I've learned is every kid is different. Try everything.

Our son went to Montessori pre-school at Killarney. Dropped out. He was bored as he couldn't get enough attention. I know Montessori is child led, but materials and guidance matter.
    Went to Waldorf, dropped out. It was terrible.
    Went to the Springbank pre-school and would only go if a parent waited outside the entire time. He had fun here. haha.

Went to kindergarten no problem.

Daughter went to Edelweiss. Dropped out.
    Went to a preschool in Wildwood. Dropped out.
    We gave up after this.

Went to kindergarten fine.

Basically, just because you think Montessori is the best, doesn't mean your child will agree. If you are ok with you kid crying the entire day (litterally), then force them to do what ever you want. We were not ok with that. Some parents are. I wouldn't judge a parent who is ok with it.
    My Tesla referral link: https://ts.la/moon14483

My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Beny's right - Don't get hung up on a specific 'program' from pre-school and just find something the child will engage with. The feedback we've received from our kindergarten teachers is that the most important skills a child will learn in pre-school are all social... independence, conflict resolution, etc. This is particularly important for kids that haven't otherwise been well socialized in daycare or with siblings (i.e. the only child, or oldest).

We haven't done any Montessori, but my understanding is that it can be quite influential on the child's learning habits & patterns, which may not jive with the structure of early elementary school... I'd want to be sure that I wasn't undermining my child's future (actual) education for what's essentially glorified playtime.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3