Quantcast
Crayfish - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Crayfish

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by Kavy
    ^ nice!

What were your thoughts? I drain the whole boil as well after it soaks the 25 minutes, I put the strainer above the pot till it fully drains. The butter and garlic will make a huge difference.

Did you use frozen?
    nice heat but was lacking flavor and density. really needs the 2-4 sticks of butter and garlic.
    will add mushroom too next time.

thoughts on adding cayenne, paprika or cajun

and yes, the shrimp were bought from T&T, the small 30/40 shrimps fronze for testing. I want the giants one though, the 8/12 in a box next haha
    any recommendation where to buy good shrimp in town for boil and only 2-3 minutes to boil shrimp?

this video's ingredient is very close to yours so it is legit

i would be very interested on a crawfish group buy!

60qt, I did not notice I wrote gallon haha.
    That would be a fucking huge pot.

I bought this exact kit but in a 60qt not a 30qt. The 30 would be enough for most people and would probably do 10-15lb of crawfish with potatoes corn and shrimp.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...duct/10213184/

It was $259 on sale a few years ago.
    sweet!
    going to buy the 30qt pot combo unless they sell only pot+strainer.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

I have added Cajun and Cayanne several times. The wife and her friends don't like hot food so when they are involved I skip it and just sprinkle old bay on after I plate it. Cayenne with red pepper flakes is a nice addition to the boil as is a few bay leaves.

Shrimp boil in a few minutes so 2-3 is a good guess. I think where I saw the biggest flavour kick up is the soaking. After the boil I pull out the basket and turn off the burner. I wait about 5 minutes then put the basket back in to soak for another 25 minutes. I found this to bring out the most flavour in the crawfish and potatoes.

When it comes to pots you can just buy the pots separate. I believe I saw them at Walmart for under $50. Make sure to get aluminum and a basket that does not touch the bottom of the pot when the lid is on. Most boilers should be that way just the cheapo ones will not.

We could possibly put together a group buy, like I mentioned previously I buy 40lbs about 4-5 times a year so a few more wouldn't be a big issue. I might be doing a boil for Super Bowl depending on what size runs are available as most is bait currently and even field tends to be a bit small but is workable. The supplier I buy from currently has high season prices but maybe I can work something out.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Kavy, how much is it per pound?

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

I have added Cajun and Cayanne several times. The wife and her friends don't like hot food so when they are involved I skip it and just sprinkle old bay on after I plate it. Cayenne with red pepper flakes is a nice addition to the boil as is a few bay leaves.

Shrimp boil in a few minutes so 2-3 is a good guess. I think where I saw the biggest flavour kick up is the soaking. After the boil I pull out the basket and turn off the burner. I wait about 5 minutes then put the basket back in to soak for another 25 minutes. I found this to bring out the most flavour in the crawfish and potatoes.

When it comes to pots you can just buy the pots separate. I believe I saw them at Walmart for under $50. Make sure to get aluminum and a basket that does not touch the bottom of the pot when the lid is on. Most boilers should be that way just the cheapo ones will not.

We could possibly put together a group buy, like I mentioned previously I buy 40lbs about 4-5 times a year so a few more wouldn't be a big issue. I might be doing a boil for Super Bowl depending on what size runs are available as most is bait currently and even field tends to be a bit small but is workable. The supplier I buy from currently has high season prices but maybe I can work something out.
    how much on average does it cost per lb when you do your orders?

My Ride
    2022 X2M

^ depends on how much you buy and when you buy. Buying right now means your paying near double what you will when you buy in march.

Normal prices for what I buy are around $4-$5 a pound off season and around $3 in season. Shipping is what kills you, I don't pay shipping . These prices are for full craws (large) and not field or bait (bait is what you see when you buy frozen) and I haven't found a place that even comes close on price or quality. My last order had 6 dead only on 40lbs live, 6 dead is less then a pound. The "other" online place I tried has almost 10lbs dead on my 40lb order.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Daaang, I might need to order this for my bday in March!!!!!!

I bought some pre-cooked and seasoned crayfish a few times now. Just steam it for a few minutes and it tastes pretty tasty
    Euro

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by DENZILDON
    Daaang, I might need to order this for my bday in March!!!!!!

yuup, Kavy if you are ordering some within the next couple of months and willing to do a group buy, let me know.
    I'm down for 10-15 lbs

excellent tip!
    even on the youtube boil video, they put some ice on the pot to cool it down
    Last edited by taemo; 01-20-2014 at 12:06 PM.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Bumping this...

Has anyone had a chance to try any of the recommendations in this thread yet, or have any other suggestions for a source of crayfish?

Kavy - sent you a PM.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Didn't notice the PM will send a response in a few minutes.

When it comes to a source this is somewhat debatable, do you want live or frozen boiled?
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Exploded.

Didn't notice the PM will send a response in a few minutes.

When it comes to a source this is somewhat debatable, do you want live or frozen boiled?
    Live-boiled is preferred for crawfish and any seafood and I'd rather have frozen raw seafood than frozen-boiled.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by flipstah

Live-boiled is preferred for crawfish and any seafood and I'd rather have frozen raw seafood than frozen-boiled.
    Very much so but through this thread you will see that the options for such are not as plentiful as one would hope.

Crawfish is slightly different then other seafood especially when it comes to resale preparation. When purchasing frozen Crawfish 95% of the time will be preboiled, thats just how the preparation is done on crawfish before it is frozen and resold.

I always order 40lbs or more live and get it overnighted, this however is not an option for all as spending $200+ for it and the preparation involved is sometimes greater then someone wants to put in. I order 300+ lbs a year so live is a good option for me.

I asked which he preferred as Live Crawfish is not as easy to import as some would hope and depending on the amount someone is looking to purchase Frozen is a better (for convenience and cost) option than live is.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    Exploded.

Very much so but through this thread you will see that the options for such are not as plentiful as one would hope.

Crawfish is slightly different then other seafood especially when it comes to resale preparation. When purchasing frozen Crawfish 95% of the time will be preboiled, thats just how the preparation is done on crawfish before it is frozen and resold.

I always order 40lbs or more live and get it overnighted, this however is not an option for all as spending $200+ for it and the preparation involved is sometimes greater then someone wants to put in. I order 300+ lbs a year so live is a good option for me.

I asked which he preferred as Live Crawfish is not as easy to import as some would hope and depending on the amount someone is looking to purchase Frozen is a better (for convenience and cost) option than live is.
    Oh gotcha. Totally misunderstood. Carry on

My Ride
    Hatred

I tried ordering live a while back and they wouldn't ship it to me for some reason..
    -U

My Ride
    W204

OH gawd I need to invite myself to Kavy's house.. All this sounds so amazing!!!
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    R50

Nice thread! I just happened to do a snow crab and shrimp boil this weekend. Recipe is similar to taemo's except I used only one full can of Old Bay, adding like 5lbs of clams, and I put in both chrizo an kielbasa. Also made some lemon butter for dipping... that took it over the top!

Easy and taste awesome. I even saved the boiling liquid and made like a seafood-based borscht out of it. The only trick is to find a big enough pot that can cover all the goodness without diluting the stock too much. Still trying to track one of these down..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3