Quantcast
Macbook repair - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Macbook repair

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Default Macbook repair

Just got the grey screen of death today after installing firefox on my mbp. Got to the disk utility and it says "disk utility can't repair disk. Is there any way i can recover the files on the hard drive or a good place i can get this fixed?

Thanks

My Ride
    Hatred

Did you reset PRAM?
    -U

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Ya i have. Still nothing. There are some work files I need to get off this. Is there any way i can retrieve these files before i go to a repair shop?

My Ride
    Hatred

I haven't found a way yet.

HSFexplorer for PC can access mac hard drives, but it didn't work for me, my fialed hard drive appears to be physical or the PCB board. I have one on order to see if replacing that will fix things.
    -U

I used Data Rescue 3 to get thousands of files off a failing HD years ago, now I have two backups as a better alternative.

If Disk Warrior cannot repair the HD it is a total fail, I'd try Disk Warrior first then Data Rescue 3 or whatever version they are now on. Some shops have the software as a part of their service plan, try MyMacStore (Calgary and elsewhere), worth a call.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

I have an appointment tomorrow with the apple store and going to bring my external hd with me so they can transfer everything over while they fix the problem.

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by fcuk_it
    I have an appointment tomorrow with the apple store and going to bring my external hd with me so they can transfer everything over while they fix the problem.
    Hmm I better get mine in and see what they can do for me.
    -U

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

So I brought my mbp to the apple store for my appointment but forgot to bring my external hd. So i bought the 500gb seagate slim portable hd (on sale) and they hooked up my mbp to their network so I can access the files on my computer and transfer it to the new external.
    So basically the hd on my mac crashed so theres no way of fixing it so my only option was to buy another hd (500gb at memory express for 69.99) and watched some videos on youtube and just finished the install myself instead of paying apple or anywhere else $200+ which apple quoted me.

And from this we learned..... to back up yer computer daily. I use SuperDuper, I think it might be free. Makes an exact scheduled copy of your HD.

simple way to recover files on a mac if you get the grey screen of death is to hook up a external hard drive, and install OSX on it and do a data migration from existing volume on the drive and choose the other drive.

the only time I ever had it fail was when the hard drive was toast to the point where it would fail on anything.

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by fcuk_it
    So I brought my mbp to the apple store for my appointment but forgot to bring my external hd. So i bought the 500gb seagate slim portable hd (on sale) and they hooked up my mbp to their network so I can access the files on my computer and transfer it to the new external.
    So basically the hd on my mac crashed so theres no way of fixing it so my only option was to buy another hd (500gb at memory express for 69.99) and watched some videos on youtube and just finished the install myself instead of paying apple or anywhere else $200+ which apple quoted me.
    A lot of times the failure of a HD is because of the PCB board failing. I have one on order for my HD so hopefully that solves my problem.
    -U

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

FYI PCBs can be replaced, but its no small feat finding the EXACT same model of PCB and then surgically replacing it on the drive.

This is done typically when data recovery cost is less than the cost of reconstituting the lost data (typically databases).

I had a client drive quit being recognized by Windows and when I connected an external adapter to the SATA, the PCB went up in smoke. Client had no backups.