Originally posted by roopi
    PS4 games are going to be $99ea?

http://www.amazon.com/Watch-Dogs-Pla...rds=watch+dogs
    thats outrageous..

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by K3RMiTdot

thats outrageous..
    Nope, they'll likely be $59. However, since we don't actually know it's a smart decision by Amazon to have the price at $100 as it can always refund excess but it can't come asking for more in the event they priced it too low.

Originally posted by Mibz
    This is probably worth its own thread, but do you really think that piracy has caused video game budgets to soar while content quality plateaus or drops?
    How would piracy increase a game’s budget? That’s like saying Avatar cost $250 million to make because of people downloading movies off torrents. There is no game, no recording artist and no movies that have failed due to pirating. Movies are making record profits, recording artists like Lady Gag are making record amounts and video games are making more money than some 3rd world countries annual GDP (Black Ops). If anything piracy is helping lesser artists because more people have access to their content and are willing to support them. More eclectic bands from Europe are coming to places like Calgary because now anybody can go on youtube and check them out instead of having to buy an $80 import CD. The entire pirating thing is a complete joke and is doing nothing but creating another “War on Drugs” and facilitating an increasing police state that will monitor your every move both in the real world and online. Either governments accept technological evolution and freedom of sharing information or we will end up in a complete dystopian society. So have fun with your Playstation 4, your RFID DRM and your $100 games with 3 hours of single player on-rail content that’s no better than watching one long cut scene. I won’t be a part of it. At least now with kickstarter people have the freedom to help fund games and projects they actually want to see come to fruition and not support Hitlarian game development companies.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by BigMass
    How would piracy increase a game’s budget? That’s like saying Avatar cost $250 million to make because of people downloading movies off torrents. There is no game, no recording artist and no movies that have failed due to pirating. Movies are making record profits, recording artists like Lady Gag are making record amounts and video games are making more money than some 3rd world countries annual GDP (Black Ops). If anything piracy is helping lesser artists because more people have access to their content and are willing to support them. More eclectic bands from Europe are coming to places like Calgary because now anybody can go on youtube and check them out instead of having to buy an $80 import CD. The entire pirating thing is a complete joke and is doing nothing but creating another “War on Drugs” and facilitating an increasing police state that will monitor your every move both in the real world and online. Either governments accept technological evolution and freedom of sharing information or we will end up in a complete dystopian society. So have fun with your Playstation 4, your RFID DRM and your $100 games with 3 hours of single player on-rail content that’s no better than watching one long cut scene. I won’t be a part of it. At least now with kickstarter people have the freedom to help fund games and projects they actually want to see come to fruition and not support Hitlarian game development companies.
    Shoplifting is OK too, because Walmart is making record profits! I might as well start abusing my powers at work and do some corporate theft, move some money to my personal account because they're still profitable! I'll spend the money on lesser businesses, that'll help them thrive, so there's good in theft.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by rage2

Shoplifting is OK too, because Walmart is making record profits! I might as well start abusing my powers at work and do some corporate theft, move some money to my personal account because they're still profitable! I'll spend the money on lesser businesses, that'll help them thrive, so there's good in theft.
    I'm thinking about stealing this nice S4 from Royal Oak Audi. Audi is making tonnes of $$$ and won't miss a car here and there disappearing.
    Last edited by heavyD; 02-21-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Originally posted by heavyD

I'm thinking about stealing this nice S4 from Royal Oak Audi. Audi is making tonnes of $$$ and won't miss a car here and there disappearing.
    copying a file is creation ex nihilo apart form the electricity used to do it. It would be like buying a Big Mac, using “magic” to duplicate it, eating both of them then saying I should pay for eating two Big Macs. Or what happens if I download a movie but don’t watch it? A duplicate file is created but nothing is lost. Ok, what if I buy a book, read it then give it to my friend to read it as well. Not only that but logically to prove a loss you would have to show that someone downloading a movie would have paid to watch it in the first place. If not, there is technically no loss. You are talking about copying data. Nothing is lost, only created. The only thing lost is the energy used to create it and the space on your hard drive. Logically it is incoherent to assume any type of monetary loss unless you do something like download a movie then charge tickets to people to come over and watch it. Comparing the duplication of data and information to stealing something is a medieval concept that will only hinder the advancement of society in favor of catering to media moguls and oligarchs that want the total control and slavery of society and the information it receives.

http://torrentfreak.com/piracy-is-th...reator-110303/
    Speaking during the closing session yesterday at the Independent Games Summit, Notch dismissed the notion that piracy is the same as stealing, or ‘looting’ as incoming MPAA chief Chris Dodd framed it this week.

“Piracy is not theft,” he said to those gathered in San Francisco. “If you steal a car, the original is lost. If you copy a game, there are simply more of them in the world.”

With this kind of reasoning one could be forgiven for thinking that Notch has pirate sympathies but since he’s a self-confessed member of the Pirate Party, that stance comes as no surprise.

“There is no such thing as a ‘lost sale’,” he added with a philosophy so Pirate-aligned it could be happily transcribed directly into any of their press releases. “Is a bad review a lost sale? What about a missed ship date?”

Notch was expected to talk about piracy for 5 minutes at GDC but in the event only managed about 3 minutes, describing the experience as “the scariest thing in a long time.” But while he may have only utilized 60% of his available time, he appears to have packed in value and left people wanting more, which coincidentally is his game developers philosophy too.

“If you just make your game and keep adding to it, the people who copyright infringed would buy it the next week,” he told those in attendance.

While anti-piracy zealots would insist that Minecraft has a 70% piracy or “lost sale” rate, Notch steadfastly sees his cup as rather more full than the raw percentages of his sales data may suggest, particularly by those viewing them from the perspective of an outdated business model. Indeed, despite this ‘pro-piracy’ stance, Minecraft’s position continues to improve.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

By that logic, we should only pay for the cost associated with material in physical form then.

Damn, I won't make a penny!

My Ride
    M3P

don’t have any friends
    All I took out of this thread was this ^^

And that PS4 sucks

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

copying a file is creation ex nihilo apart form the electricity used to do it. It would be like buying a Big Mac, using “magic” to duplicate it, eating both of them then saying I should pay for eating two Big Macs. Or what happens if I download a movie but don’t watch it? A duplicate file is created but nothing is lost. Ok, what if I buy a book, read it then give it to my friend to read it as well. Not only that but logically to prove a loss you would have to show that someone downloading a movie would have paid to watch it in the first place. If not, there is technically no loss. You are talking about copying data. Nothing is lost, only created. The only thing lost is the energy used to create it and the space on your hard drive. Logically it is incoherent to assume any type of monetary loss unless you do something like download a movie then charge tickets to people to come over and watch it. Comparing the duplication of data and information to stealing something is a medieval concept that will only hinder the advancement of society in favor of catering to media moguls and oligarchs that want the total control and slavery of society and the information it receives.
    There is nothing physical in moving electronic bits from my employer's bank account into my bank account. Does that make it legal because there's nothing physical being transferred?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

There is nothing physical in moving electronic bits from my employer's bank account into my bank account. Does that make it legal because there's nothing physical being transferred?
    no wonder i had dejavu. We had this debate 1 year ago. Just gonna leave this here and stop derailing the PS4 thread

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/feds-shu...s&pagenumber=1

I can't believe the Square Enix guy showed up to announce footage for E3.

copying a file is creation ex nihilo apart form the electricity used to do it.
    there is technically no loss. You are talking about copying data. Nothing is lost, only created.
    Comparing the duplication of data and information to stealing something is a medieval concept that will only hinder the advancement of society in favor of catering to media moguls and oligarchs that want the total control and slavery of society and the information it receives.
    You seem to lack an understanding of the concept of "intellectual property".

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Sigh.. people who justify pirating because it is not a physical piece of property...

Its funny now Canadians especially seem to feel entitled to pirate and copy things like its their right.
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 02-21-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Originally posted by Inzane

You seem to lack an understanding of the concept of "intellectual property".
    i fully understand it's idiocy

https://mises.org/daily/3631

How would piracy increase a game’s budget? That’s like saying Avatar cost $250 million to make because of people downloading movies off torrents.
    That's my point. A lot of these companies require a game to sell well in order to make the next one. The fact that budgets are skyrocketing means that piracy isn't bankrupting anybody big, and the proliferation of indie bundles means small-time developers are making more money than ever.

I'm not saying piracy isn't stealing, but blaming any bit of the decline of gaming on piracy is, at the moment, without merit.

I used to love gaming but over the last year I have lost complete interest. Maybe a new console will change that. There are no games that I have played that make me want to keep going like the old FF's, grandia's and the like. COD turned to crap after MW and the new gen racing games just don't keep me entertained as much as the old PS1 and 2 ones.

Maybe I'm just getting old haha. Any suggestions of some decent games would be great!

My Ride
    I like. :)

Originally posted by Type_S1
    I used to love gaming but over the last year I have lost complete interest. Maybe a new console will change that. There are no games that I have played that make me want to keep going like the old FF's, grandia's and the like. COD turned to crap after MW and the new gen racing games just don't keep me entertained as much as the old PS1 and 2 ones.

Maybe I'm just getting old haha. Any suggestions of some decent games would be great!
    Ha, funny you should mention those two legendary series. I made a thread a while back about Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch, it harkens back to the greatness of those legendary titles. Sounds like you could use a game like this right about now. Here's that thread:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/365802/ni...e-white-witch/
    Last edited by treg50; 02-23-2013 at 09:16 AM.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Mibz
    That's my point. A lot of these companies require a game to sell well in order to make the next one. The fact that budgets are skyrocketing means that piracy isn't bankrupting anybody big, and the proliferation of indie bundles means small-time developers are making more money than ever.

I'm not saying piracy isn't stealing, but blaming any bit of the decline of gaming on piracy is, at the moment, without merit.
    Although there's a lot of game companies seeing layoffs and/or shutting their doors right now.

Originally posted by blitz
    Although there's a lot of game companies seeing layoffs and/or shutting their doors right now.
    That's fair, and I suppose it's easy for me to say "It's because their games weren't good enough to sell well" or that their games went over budget but I've got as much evidence to back that up as anybody claiming piracy is the cause.

Originally posted by ZEDGE
    Sigh.. people who justify pirating because it is not a physical piece of property...

Its funny now Canadians especially seem to feel entitled to pirate and copy things like its their right.
    Well... Patentable intellectual property is a relatively new concept. Only about two hundred years old or so.

Most libraries before the turn of the century were stores of knowledge without boundary or exclusion of use.

Canada never got around to making prostitution illegal, why would copying a song be illegal? Quebec students want $0 tuition rates for post-secondary (information and education should be free according to them)

Its a grey area for many. Should I have to pay the US for the right to use Electricity because Benjamin Franklin discovered it? Should I have to pay Apple for a "green telephone icon" because some engineer/artist thought it looked good?

Why should I pay Madonna for her songs, when she is just re-signing a tune that was made by someone else that died a hundred years ago.

"I'm giving you everything, All that joy can bring, this I swear" - Original lyrics 1923?

I think the US should be paying the Middle east patent rights for every airplane they produce, because all historians know that flight first originated in the middle east. For every gun the US produces, they should pay patent rights to China for the gunpowder. Do that, and Canada can claim patent rights on fracking, and Sony patent rights on icons.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 02-24-2013 at 07:07 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast