Quantcast
Hours reduced to 0. Need advice/info - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Hours reduced to 0. Need advice/info

My Ride
    GTI

Default Hours reduced to 0. Need advice/info

Posting this for someone else, couldn't find pertinent info on the Alberta labour site.

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you would have some insight in a situation I'm going through at work.
    I'll try to make this very brief: in September I made the decision to go back to school. I told my managers that, and for the most part they scheduled me around my school hours. Everything seemed ok.
    When I went onto my practicum, they reduced my hours to part time. I said "oh well, I can handle that for a while". For the last 2 weeks of practicum, they gave me no hours at all, and said they just can't "work out the schedule", whatever that actually means. Even though I've since finished my practicum, which was their reason for reducing my hours, I still haven't been in the schedule at all for some 3 weeks now.
    They said clearly that I'm still with the company, however. They also say they have no idea when I'll get hours again, and if I'm reading the situation correctly, I'm essentially out of a job -- I just never was actually fired or laid off. Which doesn't seem legal.
    What are my options in this situation? I have/had been working for them full time for 3 years. At this point, I haven't had shifts in close to a month. What do I do...? I plan on calling the labor board/Employment Standards, but since it's the weekend and I can't do that right now, I was hoping to get some insight from you guys.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-12-2019 at 12:20 PM.

My Ride
    is wild

Go and find another job? Seems too obvious I know...

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

My Ride
    335i

Yeah, you've been pretty much dismissed. Start looking for a new job, ask for your severance and apply for EI in the interim. That's about all you can do right now. They don't really need a reason to let you go.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Back in high school I worked for RCSS and went thru the same situation you're in. They gave me zero hours it was a tactic to force you to quit since they were unionized. Better off finding a née job.

My Ride
    can go anywhere

Better known as constructive dismissal and is against labor code.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Its pretty unreasonable of the employee to demand specific hours, then ask for more changes and then be shocked when the business fills the gaps created.

Just go look for a new job, you don't want the labor board to fight and then get you back in.
    Last edited by FraserB; 02-02-2013 at 08:34 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    My Bike

Originally posted by Numi
    Spend a bit of money on a short phone call with lawyer. At least that way you'll be sure you've made the best decision.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

OP, what do you hope to accomplish? Obviously they don't want you around any more. Even if you get somewhere with the labour board or whatever government agency this falls under, do you really want to "force" these guys to give you a few hours a week? How pleasant do you think the work environment is going to be? Just find another job & move on.

I'm assuming this job was not in your field of studies? Perhaps the employer knows that you're not sticking around for good so they have moved on with other staff.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I'd pull the chute on that company and find something else. See if you can have them let you go so at least youll get a severence?

My Ride
    AWOL

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Yeah, you've been pretty much dismissed. Start looking for a new job, ask for your severance and apply for EI in the interim. That's about all you can do right now. They don't really need a reason to let you go.
    Look for work elsewhere, but don't quit because then you won't qualify for severance and EI. If the company refuses to "terminate without cause", take it up with Alberta Employment Standards.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Can you qualify for EI if you're only working a part-time job? Additionally, don't you have to provide proof that you're actively seeking other employment?
    Ultracrepidarian

Alberta is rough, Quebec you'd have tons of recourse.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Best thing to start with is what someone else already mentioned - have a frank talk with your boss before you do anything.

It's definitely difficult to schedule someone around other commitments, and it can tend to breed resentment among other employees who don't get the same treatment.

Just let them know you appreciate what they've done, but you need to work. Ask them what they need from you in order to get back on the schedule - is more free time, covering the crappy shifts for awhile, or what.

Then you know where you stand, and whether it's worth even trying to get back. As was also stated, the door might already be closed, but at least get the cards on the table first.

My Ride
    AWOL

Originally posted by msommers
    Can you qualify for EI if you're only working a part-time job? Additionally, don't you have to provide proof that you're actively seeking other employment?
    Yes, as long as you meet the required amount of hours.

Yes, you're supposed to show evidence of three job search efforts per day. It usually takes a few months to get your reporting summons though.

Honestly you have nothing to lose by applying for EI. You've been paying into it your entire working life. I'm sure they can spare some of that $55 billion surplus.

There may be some gotchas related to OP's student status.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

This is what I was thinking

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Alberta is rough, Quebec you'd have tons of recourse.

and this is true

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Talk to you employer, give them an opening to tell you what is wrong, and if you can resolve the situation or not. If you can't, then you're effectively fired, without being actually fired.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they're within their rights on this one, as I know that the Running Room does this as their corporate policy and has for years... They never fire anyone, always just reduce the hours to zero and wait for the employee to quit. I've never heard of them getting called on it yet.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by codetrap
    Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they're within their rights on this one, as I know that the Running Room does this as their corporate policy and has for years... They never fire anyone, always just reduce the hours to zero and wait for the employee to quit. I've never heard of them getting called on it yet.
    And they won't, a claim of constructive dismissal would be pretty easy to fight in this case.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.