Quantcast
Edmonton's new arena.... yay or nay - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton's new arena.... yay or nay

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Default Edmonton's new arena.... yay or nay

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...framework.html

I have to admit the new arena looks absolutely amazing! Makes me jealous, and I hope Calgary can come up with something equally as nice in the future.

That being said, wtf is edmonton city council thinking approving a $600 million dollar arena. The worst part is they haven't figured out where another $100 million will be coming from for this project. They expect the federal and provincial government to pitch in, but given the economic situation Alberta is right now, I really can't see that being a possibility. And why would the federal gov't contribute to this project.... how does toronto or winnipeg receive any benefits from edmonton's new arena?

If Redford somehow does approve edmonton's new arena, then she should expect Calgary to put forth an arena plan as well, and she better approve that too!

My Ride
    G6

Why should taxpayers be the ones paying for this? The NHL isn't private. If they want a new arena, they should pay for it themselves.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Feruk
    Why should taxpayers be the ones paying for this? The NHL isn't private. If they want a new arena, they should pay for it themselves.
    Because it won't be only used by the NHL while NHL will be the anchor tenant.

But I agree. If City of Edmonton can't find the money, fuck it. It doesn't benefit most people outside of the city.

As for Calgary goes, there may some cases for a new Arena but again I don't believe it's a priority.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-04-2013 at 09:42 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I like new arenas, but I don't want any tax dollars going towards it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Arenas bring in tons of non-NHL revenue and not only in regards to concerts, events, etc. Think about the hotel revenue, restaurant revenue, gas etc from people who attend the arena. The tax generated from that revenue helps pay for this thing all of us enjoy.

It is an investment for the province not just a financial contribution with no roi.

Newer/larger arena can bring in larger concerts, hold more people and larger events. there is a strong trickle down effect with buildings like this.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

It's a pretty cool looking arena, I must admit. It might actually be such a focal draw that it makes people forget the rest of Edmonton is so fucking ugly.

As Ca_Silvia13 said, there are many benefits to having a new arena many don't think about. But more importantly, if Edmonton didn't do something about it, they would have no arena at all because Rexall place was built in the early 70's and is one of the oldest still being used in the NHL. It's just getting too old and is becoming unsuitable for large events.

This also means that Edmonton eventually wouldn't draw the big names in music or performance as well. Once you start taking recreation out of the community, there is a definate link to higher crime and more restless citizens.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
    Arenas bring in tons of non-NHL revenue and not only in regards to concerts, events, etc. Think about the hotel revenue, restaurant revenue, gas etc from people who attend the arena. The tax generated from that revenue helps pay for this thing all of us enjoy.

It is an investment for the province not just a financial contribution with no roi.

Newer/larger arena can bring in larger concerts, hold more people and larger events. there is a strong trickle down effect with buildings like this.
    This. Haven't you guys played Sim City? haha

Rexall is a dump, worse than Saddledome IMO. The only problem with the dome is that we can't bring in a lot of concerts because our roof isn't high enough for some of the mega stage sets that's out touring these days. The new arena addresses that, as well as more luxury box seating. AFAIK, there's a waiting list for boxes that really hasn't moved at all. The dome is a moneymaker for the city, owned by the city, leased and run by the Flames.

My only worry is that Rexall and more worrying, the new Calgary arena, might introduce a PSL to help fund the project. It's a slippery slope for Calgary, a $1k per year PSL ($10k over 10 years) might drive away STH's at a time when the Flames aren't looking so hot. That can easily snowball into another moving the team eras.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13

This has been disproven several times.
    Funding stadiums can be a losing bet

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

New stadiums may look cool, but like the article says, money spent at the arena is money that would have been spent elsewhere in the city's economy. Bringing little increase to spending in Edmonton. what do Edmonton tax payers think of their new arena when more of their tax dollars are being used to fund a privately owned business.

Excellent article.

Thanks for posting.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

The arena project isn't really about bringing and overall economic impact to the City of Edmonton, the whole point is to sustain the team in the current market and revitalize the arena location.

Sure people may spend there money elsewhere if the arena isn't built downtown, but if the arena is built in that area, then they will spend it there.

The arena development is going to be the focal point to spur other commercial and high density development in the area (which has already began)

What Columbus did with Nationwide is exactly what Edmonton is trying to accomplish.

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=479034

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Can anyone find the financial statements for the Saddledome? It's owned by the city, so it's gotta be hidden somewhere on their site. I'm having a hard time finding it.

Curious how much money it generates for the city yearly, if any.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Just out of curiousity, if the city was to bid and was selected to hold another winter olypics, could that fast track the arena development? I don't know who pays for the expenses when Olympics are involved, I would assume a part of it is federal?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by rage2
    Can anyone find the financial statements for the Saddledome? It's owned by the city, so it's gotta be hidden somewhere on their site. I'm having a hard time finding it.

Curious how much money it generates for the city yearly, if any.
    I think since they're NPO, they don't have to release financial statements publicly. I think.

On a side-note, the Saddledome would be AWESOME if it was retractable roof.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Sure is a lot of cash just to watch your team lose

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by eblend
    Just out of curiousity, if the city was to bid and was selected to hold another winter olypics, could that fast track the arena development? I don't know who pays for the expenses when Olympics are involved, I would assume a part of it is federal?
    Why would we hold an olympics? That is a guaranteed money losing event, and the only reason you want to host it is for marketing value, to put your city on the world stage. We already have our city advertised with the 88 olympics like 30x a year, whenever Cool Runnings is on TV.

Originally posted by DeleriousZ
    Sure is a lot of cash just to watch your team lose
    Sure is! But still better than Jr Hockey haha.

I know how busy traffic is around gretzky during a game/event.. Down town is going to be a nightmare with this thing. They go on about train usage, but the train already lands right at rexalls steps.. These are car cities.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I hate the fact that a half billion dollar project has been approved, and it looks like no proper economic anlysis has been done at all.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I hope Edmonton sets the bar really high for a stadium design... cause you know Calgary will not let Edmonton build something better than us haha

If they can combine a new arena with a proper first class convention centre, there will be plenty of money to be made. Calgary is a well known toilet when it comes to attracting conventions, the Calgary TELUS Convention Centre is perhaps among the worst site in any major city in NA. Might as well throw in a new covered football stadium into the build as well. All Calgary's public venues seem to be long in the tooth and rundown.

Open roofed arena.... I guess they can get that bird shooting expert in on a daily basis. Ever see him ply his trade in on the Stampede grounds? He takes care of all the buildings with a rifle. Not really certain what he is shooting as the buildings are cleared 100% for safety. I think it is a BB gun type of rife.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 02-04-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast