Quantcast
Looking for Spring tune up and general maintenance - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Looking for Spring tune up and general maintenance

My Ride
    GSXR600

Default Looking for Spring tune up and general maintenance

Hi guys,

This is my first time going from winter to summer with the bike and I am looking to do the spring tune up and some maintenance on the bike. Its a 04 GSXR (my first bike). I got my head over my shoulders with this bike. Had fun with it last summer. Now I want to do valve adjustment, clutch cable adjustment and do a check up on it. Not sure when it was done last time from the previous owner. I live in Calgary and I am looking for an affordable and reliable shop to do these things. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance guys

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Take it to Redline motorsports, they do awesome work there. Either them or Blackfoot cycle. Redline is the cheaper of the two.

edit: another shop which is even more cheap (but still very good) would be "the old motorcycle shop". Their mechanics are very good, and very well rounded. I think their only $75/hr shop rate.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 02-04-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

You still have a good solid 2 months to download a factory service manual, and peck away at the little things (if you prefer not to get into the valves yourself).

My Ride
    GSXR600

Thanks for the reply guys. Ill look into those places. I'd love to do the valve adjustment myself but don't posses the tool to measure the little gaps. Coming from a car background bikes seem similar but I wouldn't like this thing to malfunction when I'm going 100clicks down the road. I can afford that in a car no big deal.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I'll second Redline motorsports.

They did my service before winter and treated me real well and provided me with a lot of information on bike maintanence in general.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Blackfoot is way too overpriced and they treat you like a number.

Support a smaller shop that actually cares about customers and wants to keep them around. I say Redline.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride

^ I just had my 40k service done on my Trumpet and I was quite happy. To each his own I guess.

I would have had Redline do it, but those services have to be done by a registered Trumpet dealer, so I had no choice. $700 was rough though...

I was pissed off with BF, I specifically told them when dropping it off, to NOT change the oil since i just put in AmsOil not even 600kms prior. I even called them the next day to remind them not to change the oil. While paying for my brake pads I was checking out the invoice, and sure as shit, they changed the oil. Great, so thats $50 worth of oil and a filter down the drain, and an hour of my time only to be left with shitty conventional oil. At least they took all that off the bill completely though. Still......
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 02-04-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    ^ I just had my 40k service done on my Trumpet and I was quite happy. To each his own I guess.

I don't really have a problem with blackfoot. I just think the customer service isn't really there. Pretty much every one at the parts counter is rude and the sales people for the gear are way too pushy.

I was there last week trying on helmets and told the sales guy non stop that I wasn't going to buy yet, I just wanted to pick out my next helmet and try them on. He wouldn't leave me alone, kept telling me he'd give me a discount and kept pushing a schubert helmet that I really wanted but did not fit my head at all, super annoying.

I've also went into the Triumph section to look at gear/bikes and found it near impossible to get sales help, the Triumph sales people are so fucking stuck up until you mention to them you already own a triumph.

When I go into redline they answer all my questions, help me out to no end and basically every time get me in almost immediately for service. Complete opposite of blackfoot.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I would have had Redline do it, but those services have to be done by a registered Trumpet dealer, so I had no choice. $700 was rough though...
    was this by chance typed from a phone? lol. Registered trumpet dealer.

Another vote for redline here. Good guys, known Rich since they opened down in douglasdale...
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride

Originally posted by Go4Long

was this by chance typed from a phone? lol. Registered trumpet dealer.

Another vote for redline here. Good guys, known Rich since they opened down in douglasdale...
    No, Ive always called it the trumpet. lol. I did type that up on my Iphone, but Im always pretty careful to not let auto-correct screw up anything Im trying to say.

Yeah the help in the Triumph, BMW & Moto Guzzi section of Blackfoot is pretty abysmal. There is typically one guy manning all of these departments, plus the used inventory so hes usually busy.
    Dont get me wrong DDDuke, I understand where youre coming from, but my experiences there havent been SO bad that I refuse to go there. They did a shit load of work for the $700. Valves and everything else.

Dont get me wrong, for non-warrenty, service work Id get Redline to do it in a hardbeat (for whatever I cant do myself) but I was just trying to say that BF is another place he could take it. Its not like Im standing up for them at all, especially after this oil change fiasco I just went through this last sat.

My Ride
    ralli///art, 09 zx6r

I have dealt with both Walt Healy and redline and I was happy with their service. I mostly go to Walt now just because it's closer. Great guys in redline but I think Walt is a little cheaper on their service rate and prices on bike Accessories.

I find GW cycle overpriced on everything. I only go There when they have their sale for CGP (no I don't ride with those guys. Lol)
    Last edited by aypi; 02-04-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Always found Blackfoot really helpful. The footfall there is huge so it can sometimes be busy if the sales staff are dealing with another customer. I've always found that if you are not getting dealt with shout up at the time while you are in store.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by borks67
    Always found Blackfoot really helpful. The footfall there is huge so it can sometimes be busy if the sales staff are dealing with another customer. I've always found that if you are not getting dealt with shout up at the time while you are in store.
    The football there is huge?
    If you're not getting dealt with shout up at the time?

wtf are you talking about?

My Ride

Word, WTF

Originally posted by chulito
    I'd love to do the valve adjustment myself but don't posses the tool to measure the little gaps.
    Feeler gauge & micrometer will only set you back probably $20 at Princess Auto. Now get crackin that valve cover off!