Quantcast
I Don't Know What Kind of X5 Canem Auto Gallery Sold Me - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I Don't Know What Kind of X5 Canem Auto Gallery Sold Me

Default UPDATED: 'Flooded' X5 not Flooded.

old--
    Last edited by colt22; 09-14-2019 at 09:35 PM.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

WOW.

That is brutal.

Have you contacted AMVIC? Sounds like whoever owned the vehicle when it was flood damaged did not go through insurance, so that's why it didn't show up on the CarProof (you did read the CarProof, right?)

AMVIC is your best bet at this point.

edit:

apparently tl;dr - yes, contact the Motor Vehicle Sales authority of British Columbia.

Also, the Dealership that sold you the vehicle should've noted that the rotors and pads needed replacing.

http://www.mvsabc.com/
    Last edited by zipdoa; 02-20-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

Default Re: Dealer sold me x5 that has been in Flood.

Originally posted by colt22
    Hey guys,

Just looking for some quick advise and direction regarding my case and any possible resolutions that may exist.

In december 2012 I travelled to Kelowna, BC to Canem Auto Gallery to purchase a used 2005 BMW x5 4.8is. The car came with a clean title and a single collision for $868.00 of damage.- it was not mentioned what the issue was or what happened. I I assumed it to be a dent or something insignificantly superficial. Everything else checked out mechanically at the point of the sale and nothing about a flood was ever brought up. I Drove the car home after paying $27,288 in cash and returned to Calgary to complete a out-of-province inspection which it passed after a 1,400 brake job. I used the car for the next month and a half with no issues.

Fast forward to this week (feb17-21). I was in the process of selling the vehicle after realizing the X5 wasn't really my thing (gas, size, missed a stick transmission). On a test drive my interior and exterior lights began to act up, flickering in unison. A trip to Alpine Autowerkes for diagnosis revealed that the car has been in the flood and the x5 is essentially rendered un-driveable from this point on. There is corrosion, silt and sand in the electrical compartments and there were attemps to mitigate the electrical damage where someone had placed extra grounding connections. My mechanic very definitively stated the car was flooded and it is a write off.

As of now, I have called my insurance and there is nothing they can do. I have called the dealer and they claim to have no knowledge of the flooding.

Do I have any recourse, legal or otherwise that I can pull myself out of this situation? I would be about $28k if there is no solution and that would be incredibly devastating.

Thanks
    How did you find out about the collision? Did they disclose this, or did you do a carproof?

edited. Carproof was done and showed no salvage title. Does AMVIC do well in situations like this?

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

This is something Gallery of Fine Cars would pull...

My Ride
    Exploded.

I will subscribe to this thread to know the outcome.

On a sidenote, how come nothing showed up in the OOP inspection? I haven't done one so I don't know what they ACTUALLY check.

GL, OP!

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

that blows man... you might have to go through small claims court for this if the dealer is not going to do anything. Who knows, they could be telling the truth and knew nothing of the flood damage. They probably bought the SUV in an auction, and it had a clean title with a minor damage claim.

I'm wondering how did the car pass the OOP inspection?

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

The fuuuuuck?? That's brutal man. I had heard that Canem was a pretty decent place, but this makes me kinda think otherwise.

Originally posted by flipstah
    I will subscribe to this thread to know the outcome.

On a sidenote, how come nothing showed up in the OOP inspection? I haven't done one so I don't know what they ACTUALLY check.

GL, OP!
    OOPI's are pretty damn thorough, but IIRC they don't pop open the ecu or other electrical control stuff to check.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

I was told by a friend that the mechanic can actually be held liable if they pass a car OPP illegally. Anyone know if this is true?

Contact these guys: http://www.mvsabc.com/ they are BCs version of AMVIC. They might be able to help you out. Is it originally an American vehicle? Do all the VIN plates have the same VIN number? You can try a car fax and see if anything shows up on it. This is a pretty common way for dealers to sell stolen or flood damaged vehicles.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-16-2019 at 01:28 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

WoW, well, I would assume that your first stop would have to be a lawyer. Hopefully he can trace it back to the original seller of it. Having said that, I think the buck would stop with the BC dealer, who is obviously claiming ignorance.

take it to BMW directly, rather than Alpine, as they are the experts on the car.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Wow! That is horrendous there is an obvious cover up. What if the dealership didn't do the covering up and they got it like this from auction or something? This sucks!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by spikers
    take it to BMW directly, rather than Alpine, as they are the experts on the car.
    I don't think you need to be an expert to see that "There is corrosion, silt and sand in the rear electrical compartments and there were attemps to mitigate the electrical damage as apparently someone had placed extra grounding connections everywhere to circumvent the shorting."
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by rage2

I don't think you need to be an expert to see that "There is corrosion, silt and sand in the rear electrical compartments and there were attemps to mitigate the electrical damage as apparently someone had placed extra grounding connections everywhere to circumvent the shorting."
    absolutely, but if this ends up in court, it would be best to have the statement made by the experts, not the aftermarket install shop.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

One would think that the dealership would be able to remember where they got the car and shift the onus onto that person or place.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

FYI: Small claims court is limited to damages of 5000$.... OP is way over that.

The Provincial Court of Alberta can hear cases with claims of up to $25,000. Anything higher needs to go to the Queen's Bench. OP has the option to sever his claim down to $25K to bring it to the jurisdiction of the Provincial Court. There are advantages like it being cheaper and faster than the QB. For a claim of $28K, it is probably going to be better to drop it down to $25K and run this in the Provincial Court.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 02-20-2013 at 01:14 PM.

OP: Is this a USA registered vehicle?

The dealer, knowing the vehicle history or not, will deny, deny, deny until a force greater than a long distance customer applies pressure. Canem Auto is a member of the BBB, contact them and a lawyer. You are not getting anywhere without a lawyer plain and simple. Having their name on Beyond is going to cause them some concern, it is a start,

There has obviously been fraudulent behaviour when:

There is corrosion, silt and sand in the electrical compartments and there were attemps to mitigate the electrical damage where someone had placed extra grounding connections. My mechanic very definitively stated the car was flooded and it is a write-off.

The Canem website states:

Canem Auto Gallery does not deal in vehicles with rebuilt status and all inventories come with fully disclosed ICBC documentation so you can buy with confidence.

http://www.canemauto.ca/dealership/history.htm

Who knows if this is a scam or ripoff, what Google will tell the world is that CANEM AUTO GALLERY in Kelowna is not to be trusted by anyone until this is settled and all the details are known. The sales manager Brian Matassa also needs to be held accountable.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 02-20-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-16-2019 at 01:28 PM.

My Ride
    M3P

First you paid $10k too much for an 05 X5 and then it's a flooded car? Harsh - Good luck man

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast