Quantcast
EPC or Schlumberger? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: EPC or Schlumberger?

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Damn, how new was he? bringing it back up was easy as shit. A chimpanzee can do that without issues, just watch the feed rate and youre golden pretty much.
    Yeah, only doing Single O did the guys make the decent coin. Not fun work though. Kind of odd the engineer didn`t notice the trainee`s fuck up. Usually the other operators or the engineer would notice it right on. Mind you, Ive seen some amazingly stupid shit happen, so who knows. I can honestly thank God that I`ve never had to deal with Fishing. I heard many nightmares about it.

CRAZY they`ve since closed Whitecourt and Wainwright. WOW. I never saw that coming. When the slow down of 07 happened, we laid off two thirds of the workplace. Funny that we went from SCREAMIN for people and shutting down trucks due to a lack of people to run them: to laying off 65% of the workplace within three weeks. That taught me everything I ever wanted to know of the oil patch. I dont miss it not for a tenth of a second. It was interesting seeing Motormen & drillers working at Walmart as greeters just to try to make ends meet.
    Its funny, you can always tell how well the oil patch is doing by how friendly the towns folk are to each other.

Its interesting being in oilfield manufacturing now. We have some idiotic orders in from the Provost / Macklin area, and Lloyd. Some ridiculously huge orders are coming in. So I assume its just gang-busters out there right about now.
    Same with Russia, Australia & Venezuela. we just had a $400 million order come in a few months back. Its just bumpin busy elsewhere.

Halliburton is decent. I wanted a job with them but took SLB`s offering first since I wanted whatever I could take at the time. BJ looked very promising as well.
    It was actually a she... She also was hired the same time as me and went through PEPTEC-1 with me as well. The difference was that I broke out and proved that I was alright to run my own jobs in a month vs. 6 months for her (there was another guy in my district who went to school with me and he broke out in a month so its not unheard of). This was probably her 2nd last job before she got promoted to being unsupervised .

Basically what happened was that there is a well known software glitch in the logging software which will cause everything to freeze and the software to stop recording data if you dont stop your repeat log manually. You'd think a trainee with 15 some jobs under there belt would be well versed on manually stopping the repeat but she forgot and we had to redo it. First time anyone in the district went fishing in 5 years

Lloyd's still busy I think but outfits like Tucker and Weatherford have taken over alot of the jobs there. SLB consistently charges more than the other guys and pays their employees less and I guess it's starting to catch up with them.

Back on topic... I also agree with what others say about EPC's and hence why I only stayed with one for 8 months before I moved to my current job with a owner/operator which i am much more happy with. That being said, I think if you spend a year with a oilfield service company (such as Schumberger) and then start looking for something else with a owner/operator the experience will certainly set you apart from a fresh grad with no field experience.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by A2VR6
    SLB consistently charges more than the other guys and pays their employees less and I guess it's starting to catch up with them.
    I'm on the side that pays those invoices, and yep, SLB is consistently much more expensive to put out on any job. That's true for open hole, cased hole and cementing.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    Halliburton fukin sucks. Screw them.
    Their shop in Grande Prairie is niiiiiiceee.

They definitely push the boundaries on sleep deprivation though.
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    2010 S4

This changes my plans on pushing to work at Slb, it's too bad I've been hitting it off with their recruiters.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Halliburton fukin sucks. Screw them.
    ORLY? Ive heard some good things about them, but then again there are a lot of drugs in these oil patch towns, so who knows.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Was talking to a Schlumberger cased hole Engineer, apparently the first few years are hell, but once you jump through that fiery hoop and prove yourself, it gets a whole lot better in terms of advancement, working conditions, and a lot of doors also open in terms of working internationally - you've just got to put your time in at first.

I'll keep my cozy office job though...

My Ride

Advancement depends on the district. At Whitecourt we barely seen any at all. Most engineers were doing the same shit for 5+ years at a time. The only advancement that could be made was if one of the managers left for whatever reason..... which very, very rarely happened.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Advancement depends on the district. At Whitecourt we barely seen any at all. Most engineers were doing the same shit for 5+ years at a time. The only advancement that could be made was if one of the managers left for whatever reason..... which very, very rarely happened.
    This... one of the senior engineers who had been in the district for 3 years was offered a transfer to the gulf coast to go offshore from the Calgary office. At the time he had another job lined up with another company but since they were offering him a chance to go offshore he decided to decline his job offer (for those who dont know, offshore = wayyyy more money and only the best of the best go there as rig time is $$$$ and you dont want to screw up offshore). However, the field service manager basically held onto his transfer letter and refused to sign off on it and let him go to the gulf coast. He hung onto this letter till the day the engineer decided enough was enough and quit.

On the other hand, I think the district and management took some of my comments from my exit interview to heart. 2 of my former trainees from my district were offered a transfer to Norway and Italy respectively after I left and they seem to be enjoying themselves pretty well. However this happened after the district swapped field managers.

Yes there is chance at advancement but it all depends on management. You can luck out and get a cool manager that understands that different experiences and advancement will help the company in the long run or you can get a asshole who'll keep you doing the same thing for 4+ years....
    Last edited by A2VR6; 02-08-2013 at 01:35 AM.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Gave good insight on the different options for engineers in the oil patch.

I guess I will go with Schlumberger instead of EPC. I really would love an amazing adventure like Schlum offers.

My Ride

Originally posted by opcomm
    Thanks everyone for the comments. Gave good insight on the different options for engineers in the oil patch.

I guess I will go with Schlumberger instead of EPC. I really would love an amazing adventure like Schlum offers.
    I think you`re going to be grossly disappointed in your `adventures` with SLB. There aren't many opportunities and the work can be brutal.

I'm not sure of what to expect @ Schlum. With big EPCs, I don't know what to expect either.

I'm looking to work @ Schlum or any of the top EPCs, then pursue an MBA @ a top 5 MBA in the states, come back and join management in any of top producers or EPC/Oilfied Service firms, or just change fields maybe to hi-finance if the opportunity exist.

Is there any use for an MBA in the oil and gas industry? Would I have any advantage getting an MBA from top 5 MBA program in the world like Queens, Harvard, Wharton, INSEAD/IMD, etc?

Ha they'll brag about travelling the world, until you are hired on. They don't want you going to other districts to see how good it can be, and risk losing you. Rumour has it there is oil in places where its warm and not desolate, and you don't need to work 300 days a year to find it - fantasy I reckon!

My Ride

Ha they'll brag about travelling the world, until you are hired on. They don't want you going to other districts to see how good it can be, and risk losing you. Rumour has it there is oil in places where its warm and not desolate, and you don't need to work 300 days a year to find it - fantasy I reckon!
    Thats pretty much what happened to me exactly. Same with each and every one of my co workers. I think the district head was the only guy that ever traveled outside of Alberta.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2