Quantcast
Weather's looking good. Anyone gone riding yet? Planning to? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Weather's looking good. Anyone gone riding yet? Planning to?

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Default Weather's looking good. Anyone gone riding yet? Planning to?

We're having some pretty good weather right now and it looks like it's going to stick around.

Anyone taken their bike out yet or planning on doing so in the near future?

I'm thinking that I'll be out and about within the next few days, just want some more of the water to dry up off the road so I don't get soaked.

Early season beyond cruise? haha
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

No wayyy haha. It always seems like good weather, but things change so quick around here that it always ends up around May before I even seriously consider it.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Riding this time of year is a bad idea...

Hrmm. I don't think I'd be riding until the water stopped freezing. I made the mistake of riding in weather like this a couple years back, and the water froze in the shadow of a building going around a corner and I slid out on it. Now I wait until consistant double digit temps. :s

I saw SOMEBODY *cough* on their bike a few days ago. Honestly, I wouldn't commute yet but I'd definitely take a rip around where I know the roads are good. Too bad my street is still covered in ice. The sun hits at a perfect angle such that my driveway, lawn and gutter are already melted but the rest of the street stays cold.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

haha...was it me? I took the bike out for a quick boot the other day. Nothing fancy, just went up and down macleod, filled it up with gas. She's slick out there, that's for sure. It's just like riding when it's raining though. Plan your moves in advance, don't get caught coming up to a light to fast when it's about to change, etc.

I have pictures kicking around of me riding a friend's R6 up a completely iced over street a couple years back. She couldn't comfortably reach the ground so I rode it up the street for her to where the road wasn't iced over.

*edit* found it on facebook. I'm not nearly as dedicated to riding these days as I was then. I would have been riding to work in this weather back when I first got a bike, now not so much.

Last edited by Go4Long; 02-06-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

I cant get it out of my street onto the main road, too icey.

Plus, its too fuckgin cold

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Saw someone on a street bike on Bow Trail earlier this week.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    Saw someone on a street bike on Bow Trail earlier this week.
    If it was red & white with HID, that may have been me. I was out both Saturday and Sunday.

I just came back from a short rip around town. Man even in these temps, it still gets fucking cold past 70kph. I was going to do the Bragg Creek run, but no way....

Still a bit chilly out. I dont think I`ll try it again unless its over 10 out.

Only the back roads & alleys are bad, all the fairly major roads are fine. Not much gravel at all either.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    If it was red & white with HID, that may have been me. I was out both Saturday and Sunday.

I just came back from a short rip around town. Man even in these temps, it still gets fucking cold past 70kph. I was going to do the Bragg Creek run, but no way....

Still a bit chilly out. I dont think I`ll try it again unless its over 10 out.

Only the back roads & alleys are bad, all the fairly major roads are fine. Not much gravel at all either.
    Yeah I think that was you.

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

ive been debating suiting up in my snowboard gear and hitting some of the larger roads i know are clear. just too lazy to move all the shit blocking my bike in the garage

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

Rode my wr450 all of last winter... Deer foot -20 Celsius with no face shield is soooo cold
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Riding now just means youre gonna get the bike dirtier than shit. Itll need a wash quickly.

Also, I HATE getting rocks kicked up on my legs.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by Go4Long
    She's slick out there, that's for sure. It's just like riding when it's raining though. Plan your moves in advance, don't get caught coming up to a light to fast when it's about to change, etc.

So true. I think most of the people who are really worried about riding right now are the ones that aren't that comfortable.

If you plan your trip and make sure to pay attention to what's on the ground then you'll be fine. I've never even had a close call with gravel because I always pay attention to where it is. I have had a few close calls with manholes on scorching hot days though.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride

Originally posted by ddduke

So true. I think most of the people who are really worried about riding right now are the ones that aren't that comfortable.

If you plan your trip and make sure to pay attention to what's on the ground then you'll be fine. I've never even had a close call with gravel because I always pay attention to where it is. I have had a few close calls with manholes on scorching hot days though.
    Yeah man. When I was leaving Blackfoot cycle on Sat with my bike, I GUNNED it uphill on Blackfoot and had quite the slide going. (damn cold tires lol) but asides from that its not bad at all. If you know what to watch out for, only the cold temps are your worry.
    Not much gravel. The asphalt is brutally cold, so you sure as shit dont want to push it in the turns, but asides from that its just business as usual really.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

I'll take my bike out when the glacier on my street melts.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 03-24-2013 at 09:34 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride

Originally posted by codetrap
    Jesus.. I saw some 'tard out there by cardel place and there was still ice/snow in the sides of the road, wet shit in the sun, and slippery sections in the shade...

All I could think was man, I hope you filled out your donor card...

There were Ice and snow on the sides of the road when I was out, doesnt mean it`ll make one stitch of difference to me in any way. I dont know about you but I dont find myself randomly pulling up to curbs when riding, or riding in the curbside parking areas for cars.

The shaddy areas where as there may be ice, thats a different story all together, but for the most part it was decent riding when it was nice out.
    For the part about going around bends where there may be ice on the actual road, either stay the hell off those areas or just dont ride. Its not worth the risk.
    Otherwise, when its nice out, enjoy the slice of summer if you can in the dead of winter.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 02-07-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Winters or All seasons?

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by codetrap
    Jesus.. I saw some 'tard out there by cardel place and there was still ice/snow in the sides of the road, wet shit in the sun, and slippery sections in the shade...

All I could think was man, I hope you filled out your donor card...

You know, that's all well and good that you're paying attention, until you're going around a bend and there's NOTHING but ice in the shade across the entire road....

It's just not worth it right now, far too dangerous with the road conditions. Jesus, I'm still healing with a new hip, the last thing I need to do is get all fucked up again lol..
    Or, here's an idea...ride a route that you've driven within a few hours of going for your ride.

It doesn't take a genius.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast