Quantcast
GM Voids Warranty because GMC Terrain owner changed own oil - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Voids Warranty because GMC Terrain owner changed own oil

Default GM Voids Warranty because GMC Terrain owner changed own oil

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/consu...707/story.html

CALGARY- Changing your own oil is a great way to save money on vehicle maintenance, but it could actually cost you more in the long run.

Chayne Culig got a 160,000 kilometer Powertrain warranty on his GMC Terrain truck, which came in handy when an engine seal blew and the motor had to be replaced. But he ran into trouble with the automaker when he tried to get them to cover it.

That’s because Culig, a heavy duty mechanic, had changed the oil himself, so he didn’t have any receipts to prove his vehicle was regularly maintained.

“I will be taking them to court,” Culig says. “I have no choice in the matter, because it’s quite costly and I’ve had a lot of repairs on this vehicle since I’ve owned it.”

GM Canada would not explain the reasoning when contacted by Global News, but said in a statement:

“We encourage customers to keep detailed receipts of their maintenance and history, including kilometers or any other issues found at the time of maintenance. Without this information, the manufacturer is left to take into account only the information they have available when determining what caused the issue.”

Phil Edmonston from the Lemon-Aid Car Guide says consumers should be protected in cases like this.

“The onus of responsibility is not on the victim, it’s on the seller of the product, and that’s the way it should be.”

Culig replaced the engine himself for about $2,000—$5,000 less than the dealer quote.
    Any GMC Terrain owners on here? Curious if the owners manual or Warranty information requires that one keep records of any maintenance as part of the warranty agreement.
    ---

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

when my engine popped, ford wanted receipts even though all maintenance was performed at ford dealers... you'd think they would have a system for that

I've heard of this before.... dealerships often use the "u void ur warranty if u do ur own oil changes" line to get ppl to pay their shop rates (if u dont get free oil changes thrown in on the deal)

but ive known ppl where they keep records and receipts (apparently theres even a section at the end in the owners manual itself) and the dealership can't deny warranty service? Not sure if its true or not, but i'll figure it out if i every buy a new car from a dealership in the future

It would make sense though that the warranty stipulated that any maintenance work performed would have to be backed up by receipts/records... Otherwise u could just not change ur oil at all and then when the engine goes, get a new one
    Last edited by EK69; 02-06-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Default Re: GM Voids Warranty because GMC Terrain owner changed own oil

Originally posted by kenny
    http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/consu...707/story.html

Any GMC Terrain owners on here? Curious if the owners manual or Warranty information requires that one keep records of any maintenance as part of the warranty agreement.
    Not a Terrain, but page 22 of the warranty manual for our 2012 GMC van says

"Retain receipts covering performance of regular maintenance. receipts can be very important if a question arises as to whether a malfunction is caused by a lack of maintenance or a defect in material or workmanship"

It was a while ago that there was a court that ruled that receipts for suitable quality and quantities of oil and filters as well as the owners own records of when and odometer readings were enough to establish that the required maintenance had been done in a similar case. But I think this guy is SOL 'cause he's got nuthin'.
    Last edited by Duckman; 02-06-2013 at 05:38 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Fuck GM. They've lost me as a long time customer. They're just shitty with EVERYTHING.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Yes you must provide reciepts that show the type of oil you use, filter type used, and on the reciept you should write both the day and mileage of when you performed your oil change.

I work for GM and if we have major failures we expect to see these records otherwise you are shit out of luck. Even if it is done at other dealers if it isnt warranty oil changes (Cadillacs) then we need to see the records and proof to provide warranty.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by EK69

it would make sense though that the warranty stipulated that any maintenance work performed would have to be backed up by receipts/records... Otherwise u could just not change ur oil at all and then when the engine goes, get a new one
    the onus would be on the company to take oil samples. test them. take the motor apart, find the failure... then come to a decision if it was due to neglect, design, or defect... but just saying no is easier

Don't buy a new vehicle unless free lifetime oil changes are included.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Type_S1
    and why is that oh wise one?

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Why not just keep reciepts for oil+filters? Gonna be hard to prove he "diligently maintained" his vehicle otherwise, mechanic or not.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I believe Mercedes in the US requires you to go to the dealer, show your receipts and they will stamp your book for you with the current mileage. It's a free service if you decide to go elsewhere, or DIY. I'm not sure how Canada works.

If this guy has absolutely no receipts, he's not going to get anywhere. Keeping receipts is not only common sense if you DIY, it's required in pretty much all the maintenance booklets. I'm sure they're all written by a bunch of corporate lawyers for cases like this haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by Type_S1
    my buddy says volvo oil changes cost him around a couple hundred or so each time (i cant remember exact numbers, but they made places like Mr. Lube seem cheap)

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

What is the point of this? Of course he got denied, he should know better. Extended warranty wants evidence of maintenance. 3 year 60 there is no issue.

My Ride

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    Yes you must provide reciepts that show the type of oil you use, filter type used, and on the reciept you should write both the day and mileage of when you performed your oil change.

I work for GM and if we have major failures we expect to see these records otherwise you are shit out of luck. Even if it is done at other dealers if it isnt warranty oil changes (Cadillacs) then we need to see the records and proof to provide warranty.
    My avalanche goes through 4L of oil in 5000 KM. GM asked for all my shit. I provided it. They did nothing. Too bad.......

So the only way I can punish GM is to never step foot in their dealer again. The 5.3 is pure garbage.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by SJW

My avalanche goes through 4L of oil in 5000 KM. GM asked for all my shit. I provided it. They did nothing. Too bad.......

So the only way I can punish GM is to never step foot in their dealer again. The 5.3 is pure garbage.
    Don't get mad at me, I didnt design, build or make the calls on your vehicle. What year of Avalanche is it and how many km are on it? Have you had a GM dealer fill out a oil consumption sheet and brought it to them to have them check and top up the oil level?

My Ride
    8P 3.2

If he did not change the oil wouldn't it be pretty obvious once they crack the engine open? I have seen a dead engine die to no maintenance and it was pretty messy.

My Ride

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Don't get mad at me, I didnt design, build or make the calls on your vehicle. What year of Avalanche is it and how many km are on it? Have you had a GM dealer fill out a oil consumption sheet and brought it to them to have them check and top up the oil level?
    I would never get mad at you. I've done all the necessary crap had the recall done. Still runs through oil like Druh Farrell runs through crazy.

They're just shifty buggers. I'm just publicly venting over my poor choice in vehicle. Oil is cheap. I'll run this truck until it dies.
    Last edited by SJW; 02-06-2013 at 06:26 PM.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Terrains and acadia require a semi to full synthetic oil and an OEM Oil filter, there are
    Currently a few service bulitins regarding non gm filters and blown engines.
    The issue is the high oil flow rate through the filter causes the filter substrate to get pushed into the heads oil galleys and plug them up.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by RickDaTuner
    Terrains and acadia require a semi to full synthetic oil and an OEM Oil filter, there are
    Currently a few service bulitins regarding non gm filters and blown engines.
    The issue is the high oil flow rate through the filter causes the filter substrate to get pushed into the heads oil galleys and plug them up.
    All GM vehicles model year 2011 and newer require semi synthetic or higher for oils. 2010 and older generally only Cadillacs, Corvettes, and 2010 Camaros require synthetic.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Ive always brought my truck to GM to have oil changes... Usually around the $60 mark for a 5.8.

It works out to be about the same price that i'd pay to do it on my own, + a little i guess.
    Worth it to me.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast