Quantcast
Looking at getting my first bike - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking at getting my first bike

My Ride
    2004 Mustang GT convertable

Default Looking at getting my first bike

Hey all

I wanna learn to ride this year and get out and enjoy the weather. Im looking at getting my first bike and want to know opinions on what I should be looking at.

Here is what I have considered

Yamaha R6
    Aprilia Shiver 750
    Honda CBR
    Suzuki GSXR

Thanks
    Take it easy and if she is easy take her twice

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

My first bike was an R6. Still have it actually. As long as you know how to limit yourself on them it shouldn't be an issue. Enough power that you don't get bored of it right away.

I have never ridden a gsxr, but a couple of buddies have them and they seem all right. Decent newb bikes as well, since they have the adjustable power switch on them.

CBR600RR

You could also try going with something a little smaller - like the new gorgeous ninja 300 or even an old 250.

I think as long as you're levelheaded, a supersport should bring fine - you just have to be careful.

Have you looked into a ZX6R, these bikes have gear indicators that comes in very handy if this is going to be your first bike.

Power is a tad more IMO vs a CBR, but dont get me wrong I think CBR is an overall better bike.

My Ride
    DC4 turbo

Dont worry about starting off on a 600, you will get use to it fast. i never rode a bike until i took the class and as soon as i got my license i jumped on a cbr600rr with no problem.

and since we are on this topic, i have a 06 cbr600rr thats all black with under 6k that im looking to get rid of, pm me if your interested

lol... and here I was trying to casually lobby my 07 ZX6R to OP

pm me if your interested too

My Ride
    13 Cayenne Turbo

Start on a 600, as long as you are responsible and know your limits you'll be fine. I started on an R6 before moving to another R6 before my current Kawi. All great bikes and never needed more.

I've got a 2003 Kawi 636 that will be for sale in the spring if you're interested. Great starter bike

My Ride
    DC4 turbo

Originally posted by reese
    lol... and here I was trying to casually lobby my 07 ZX6R to OP

pm me if your interested too

LOL your too late!, OP has to check mine first!

My Ride
    This and that.

My first bike was a Ducati 748. Not the wisest choice I could have made but I am still alive. It all depends on the kind of a rider you are.

CBR600RR

mines for sale, just don't offer 2 k

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I would take a training course like 2 Cool Motorcycle School then make your choice. In the class you will ride dual-sports (Shiver), sport-ish bikes (Ninja 250) and cruisers.
    Then pick the bike you want and get the one that has the least amount of stories (mods, "new" pieces of plastic etc).
    In addition to the other guys posting here I also have a bike for sale. 2009 R6. PM for details as I have taken down the Kijiji ad.

Taking the class was huge for me, not just for skills but for figuring out what kind of bike I wanted. I was going to buy a cruiser until I rode the Ninja 250 at Too Cool. Totally changed my opinion and I ended up with a Ninja 650.

My Ride
    Upass

If you're under 5'10" I would avoid the R6. It's a shame because I think it's the best looking one, but it's also the tallest. Technically you should only be putting 1 foot down when you stop, but when you're starting out, there will be times when you will lose your balance coming to a stop. Having the comfort of being able to plant both feet on the ground will be huge., not to mention it will be easier to back the bike out of parking stalls too.

If you are 5'10" or above, then just get the one that looks the best to you. They are all so close in performance you will not notice the difference. I've got an 07 CBR600 and my buddy has an 07 R6, again I think his bike looks better and is easier to flick in the turns, but I like the build quality of mine better and it's a lot more comfortable to ride on the street. His suspension is hard as a rock, really takes a toll on your nuts

edit: I know you asked for bike opinions but Take the TooCool course, its a bit more than the others, but worth every penny just on the fact that they have the best selection of bikes, the instructors are awesome too.
    Last edited by Nav13; 02-11-2013 at 08:15 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

OP take a course if youve never ridden before. There is no substitute.

I didnt know where the clutch was on a bike before my course and now I'm glad I took the time to learn PROPER bike handling.

After that, you can get almost any bike you wish as all of them can kill you just as fast. (ok maybe not 250s).

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I know of an '05 CBR600 for $3k. Decent shape, runs like a top. PM me if you're interested. The bike isn't stupidly powerful, and with a narrow (& low) seat it would make a dandy starter bike for you. Its a very predictable bike.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 02-11-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Hey Bud,

I just got my bike last summer and i went with the gsxr-600.
    Its hard to pick what bike you want without actually riding them and seeing which one you feel the most comfortable on.

The all are very similar on paper (specs wise) however the angle you lean and the way bikes corner have a different feel to it.

I know its tough, however if you wanna make sure your getting the right bike for you i would recommend going out and taking each of the ones you named out for a spin to see which one is best suited for you...

I would also like to throw this link up for anyone else who is interested in getting their bike license.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/264508/ob...gear-and-more/

Palmiros did an awesome job with that thread. Theres tons of awesome information that i wish was available to me before i got my bike / license.

Goodluck and ride safe

My Ride
    ralli///art, 09 zx6r

Like everyone suggested, take the course. I've been riding a motorcyce/moped since I was 12-13 yrs old but still decided to take the course.

My first sportsbike was a cbr600 and It was a great starter bike. Now I have an 09 zx6r and I'm loving it. Looked into an R6 but I'm only 5'7" and I didn't feel comfortable riding it because of the seat height.

Good luck OP

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Originally posted by turbotrip
    CBR600RR

Worst bike I have EVER owned. Don't waste your time or money. I can count how many times I rode it on one hand cause it was such a cheaply made snooze fest.

Out of your choices I's go R6 or Shiver. Don't know a thing about gsxrs but I personally hate the styling, but that's just my opinion
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    '13 MB C350 W204 '09 Gixxer 750

I've owned a Shiver and they are a great bike, but I wouldn't own it as a first bike.

Because of the nature of a parallel twin engine it makes the bike very torquey. Although it's very fun to ride, if you're not used to rolling on the throttle is a controlled manner it can throw you pretty quickly.

For this I would look at a inline four engine. They tend to be very linear in the delivery of the RPM's and torque so you avoid "surprises" in corners or during acceleration.

I would agree with all the other comments, take the Too Cool School course before buying a bike. It's a great way to jump on a bunch of different bikes without making the huge investment. Then look in the spring at all the demo days at the dealers, hop on as many different bikes as you can, then pull the trigger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast