Quantcast
We asked for it, and it is starting. Small diesels in full size trucks! - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: We asked for it, and it is starting. Small diesels in full size trucks!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I would love to see some payout calculations that take in account the higher maintenence costs and the higher upfront costs. nobody is arguing that the diesel engines aren't more enjoyable to tow with, but myself, I don't belive you can every pay it out in a non-commerical application, even if you tow every single weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I would love to see some payout calculations that take in account the higher maintenence costs and the higher upfront costs. nobody is arguing that the diesel engines aren't more enjoyable to tow with, but myself, I don't belive you can every pay it out in a non-commerical application, even if you tow every single weekend.
    I'm probably an exceptional circumstance, considering I typically budget for towing close to 30,000kms a year (towing the race car across the country will do that).

Still though, we are talking 28USmpg highway vs something like 21USmpg highway UNLOADED. That's a huge amount, and I expect while towing it will be the same if not greater percentage spread.

And urea isn't bad, especially if you buy large amounts. Plus the dodge's are setup to require a refill every 10,000kms.

The biggest question is the overall reliability of the VM 3.0L. If it IS reliable, it's been proven time and again that diesel maintenance really doesn't outstrip gas maintenance by that much unless you have a problematic engine. And it should also last much longer. The VM 3.0L gets pretty close to 25% better fuel economy than the hemi while being daily driven, let alone while towing. You should ask the TDi guys what they think about this discussion, everyone I know is making out like bandits in savings IF THEY DON'T HAVE RELIABILITY ISSUES.
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 10-01-2013 at 03:09 PM.

My Ride
    K-car

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I'm probably an exceptional circumstance, considering I typically budget for towing close to 30,000kms a year (towing the race car across the country will do that).

Still though, we are talking 28USmpg highway vs something like 21USmpg highway UNLOADED. That's a huge amount, and I expect while towing it will be the same if not greater percentage spread.

And urea isn't bad, especially if you buy large amounts. Plus the dodge's are setup to require a refill every 10,000kms.

The biggest question is the overall reliability of the VM 3.0L. If it IS reliable, it's been proven time and again that diesel maintenance really doesn't outstrip gas maintenance by that much unless you have a problematic engine. And it should also last much longer. The VM 3.0L gets pretty close to 25% better fuel economy than the hemi while being daily driven, let alone while towing. You should ask the TDi guys what they think about this discussion, everyone I know is making out like bandits in savings IF THEY DON'T HAVE RELIABILITY ISSUES.

Honestly, I think the days of reliable Diesels are long gone. The systems required to make them powerful and clean burning are extremely complicated.

Let's say the VM 3.0l needs injectors at 160,000 kms, fair to say as diesel injectors do in fact wear out, bank on about a 3-4,000$$ dollar job, add in EGR valves that could fail, Turbocharger, scr catalist system, urea injection....list goes on and on

With a diesel you can guarantee repairs to cost 3x what a gas engine will. and how complicated they are now I put no faith in long term reliability.

Not sure if this is relevant since this is about trucks but thought I would respond with my diesel car experience. My old 05 Passat TDI Wagon cost me 13 cents per km over 4 years and 70000kms. I did most of the work myself save for the timing belt. Replaced both front axles, but other than that just regular maintenance. Compare that to the same year Subaru Forester, smaller car but 4wd, owned for 12000kms and other then two oil changes did not do anything else. Cost me 13 cents per km as well. The difference in fuel burn alone made operating the forester more expensive in the long term, once you start to include maintenance items.
    As for the difference in upfront costs I can't provide a fair example, but, I sold the passat for 5 grand less than what I paid for it, not bad for 4 years and 70000kms I think?
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

We'll have to wait and see how the smaller diesels in the half tons go. I know in one tonne trucks, the diesel engines is something like a $7000 option, plus each oil change is about $40 more, plus urea (DEF) and other items. That and the mileage isn't as good as some of the older diesels.

Agree that the VW diesels have been (and still are) an economical option.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

We'll have to wait and see how the smaller diesels in the half tons go. I know in one tonne trucks, the diesel engines is something like a $7000 option, plus each oil change is about $40 more, plus urea (DEF) and other items. That and the mileage isn't as good as some of the older diesels.

Agree that the VW diesels have been (and still are) an economical option.
    isn't a diesel oil change interval typically twice (or more) it's gas counterpart? so the oil change price thing is kind of irrelevant..
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I looked it up for the Ford 6.7L powerstroke diesel vs the 6.2KL gasoline engine, and it's a little confusing. the Diesel uses an "intelligen oil life monitor" as the official guide. Seems the deisel guys get about 7500 miles usually when following that. the previous reccomendation for Ford Deisels was 5000 miles.

The 6.2L Gas folks have a "oil life minder" which must be somehow different, because Ford referrs to it differently. The manual states 7500 mile intervals.

In short, no difference in manufacturer reccomended intervals. Some diesel folks probably go to full syntheitc, and extend intervals, but that same technique can be used with gasoline engines as well.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

I looked it up for the Ford 6.7L powerstroke diesel vs the 6.2KL gasoline engine, and it's a little confusing. the Diesel uses an "intelligen oil life monitor" as the official guide. Seems the deisel guys get about 7500 miles usually when following that. the previous reccomendation for Ford Deisels was 5000 miles.

The 6.2L Gas folks have a "oil life minder" which must be somehow different, because Ford referrs to it differently. The manual states 7500 mile intervals.

In short, no difference in manufacturer reccomended intervals. Some diesel folks probably go to full syntheitc, and extend intervals, but that same technique can be used with gasoline engines as well.
    must have changed then, from what i remember the old stuff was 5k for gas and 12-15k for diesel...

Either way, i'd like a small pickup with a diesel, canyon with like 5k towing on a lil 4banger diesel, that'd be badass.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Hatred

This Fiat diesel is supposed to have oil change intervals around 15,000 I believe.
    -U

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Seems the deisel guys get about 7500 miles usually when following that. the previous reccomendation for Ford Deisels was 5000 miles.

In short, no difference in manufacturer reccomended intervals.

You have to keep in mind though, that most diesel owners are treating their trucks differently. If you're buying a diesel for work, it's because you're towing a lot, and probably idling a lot too (The oil minder systems are the same by the way, just different verbiage for advertising).

Also, the previous recommended diesel change was 5000 miles, because the 6.4L had a really crappy regen system that allowed shitloads of diesel into the oil system. The new 6.7L has a much more efficient regen system, allowing more miles before oil change. The new 6.7L doesn't even have a factory recommended interval, because it's fully dependent on the oil minder.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    K-car

New diesel's should be running full synthetic. My powerstroke took 13 quarts, so 3x $39 for the oil, plus a motorcraft oil filter @ $26, so around $150 for a DIY oil change.

My cousin has a 2010 with a 6.4, his oil changes run about $250 at the shop (he don't get dirty) His last "full" service from Ford was oil/fuel/air filter all total $580.

I put no faith into these oil life monitors. I change every 8000 kms, cheap insurance for very expensive engines.

All told diesel trucks cost more to buy and operate. You will definitely get more $$$ at resale though.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by corsvette
    New diesel's should be running full synthetic. My powerstroke took 13 quarts, so 3x $39 for the oil, plus a motorcraft oil filter @ $26, so around $150 for a DIY oil change.

My cousin has a 2010 with a 6.4, his oil changes run about $250 at the shop (he don't get dirty) His last "full" service from Ford was oil/fuel/air filter all total $580.

I put no faith into these oil life monitors. I change every 8000 kms, cheap insurance for very expensive engines.

All told diesel trucks cost more to buy and operate. You will definitely get more $$$ at resale though.
    The GM diesel oil changes still start at $99.95+tax for basic oil at our dealer and full synthetic Shell Rotella starts at $194.95+tax. For comparison a 6.0L gas 3/4 or 1 ton oil change starts at $69.95 for semi synthetic and $119.95 for full synthetic.

My Ride
    K-car

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

The GM diesel oil changes still start at $99.95+tax for basic oil at our dealer and full synthetic Shell Rotella starts at $194.95+tax. For comparison a 6.0L gas 3/4 or 1 ton oil change starts at $69.95 for semi synthetic and $119.95 for full synthetic.
    Makes sense, I think the Ford's hold a few more qt's than than the Dmax. Shell rotella sythetic is the only oil I would ever use in my Diesels.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7