Quantcast
Buying A Tenant Occupied Home? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying A Tenant Occupied Home?

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

Question Buying A Tenant Occupied Home?

I did a few searches, and information has been sparse (then again, I could be looking in the wrong area).

My fiancé and I are looking at a property this afternoon that is tenant occupied until the mid of July. If we like the place, we don't want to wait until July to take possession and move in. We also don't want to become these people's landlords.

Is it possible/legal to make a condition of purchase stating that the current tenants must be out by XX date (likely April 1st)? Or, does their current lease with the sellers trump our intent to move in?

Thanks in advance. If theres a resource with this information, I'd love to take a look through it.

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

The tenants have 90 days from notice given. I believe rage put up a thread somewhere that has the Alberta residential tenancies act in it. The sellers should do their due diligence and give notice the day there is an offer on their property.
    If you write,. Put in 90 days +2 for possession.
    Sometimes tenants will wait right till the last min., most cases they are out as soon as they can.
    Some pro-active sellers will give incentives for the tenants to move early, like paying their deposit on a new place.
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

Benyl put up the thread,. Look at the above threads in this section
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Also do a pre-walk through before releasing any funds to ensure no damages are done by tenants.Or put in a 10,000 Hold back for 48 hours to ensure it was left in good shape.

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

Thanks Jordan & Barmanjay!

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

I'd fuckin destroy my place if my landlord sold it on me before I was ready to buy, after giving him almost 40k and being more or less a model tenant for almost 4 years. That is the only circumstance under which I'd do this.

Think about that before you get so eager to leave somebody stranded just cuz you want another asset.
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 02-16-2013 at 02:07 PM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    I'd fuckin destroy my place if my landlord sold it on me before I was ready to buy, after giving him almost 40k and being more or less a model tenant for almost 4 years. That is the only circumstance under which I'd do this.

Think about that before you get so eager to leave somebody stranded just cuz you want another asset.
    This just shows exactly what a piece of trash you are.

It's the landlords house to sell, regardless of what you want to do. Just because you suck at managing your finances and can't save worth shit is no one's fault but your own. So the PROPERTY OWNER is supposed to hold onto HIS ASSET even if he doesn't want to so you can live there? You live there at his pleasure and are a TENANT, if you owned the house you could decide when it got sold.

90 days notice is more than fair, if you are too retarded to find a place in that time then you deserve to be on the street.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

This is so outrageous I have to assume you're trolling. No one is this dense are they?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Sure you would, tough guy.

Who the fuck is this retard anyway?

Originally posted by FraserB

This just shows exactly what a piece of trash you are.

It's the landlords house to sell, regardless of what you want to do. Just because you suck at managing your finances and can't save worth shit is no one's fault but your own. So the PROPERTY OWNER is supposed to hold onto HIS ASSET even if he doesn't want to so you can live there? You live there at his pleasure and are a TENANT, if you owned the house you could decide when it got sold.

90 days notice is more than fair, if you are too retarded to find a place in that time then you deserve to be on the street.
    Landlords strut around like the own their tenants too, and a lot of the times they do. I would never blame anybody but myself for my financial decisions and general cluelessness. But it just strikes me as common courtesy and being a decent human being to not be so God damn eager to throw somebody under a bus especially if they've been a good tenant and source of income for years.

Originally posted by msommers

This is so outrageous I have to assume you're trolling. No one is this dense are they?
    Sharp as a razorblade. As much as I'd want to, I would leave it to next guy. Since all us renters are the same lower class trash then I can assume a future renter will have akin sentiments towards said landlord, and as such the official piece of shit label can fall on his/her back, not mine. Funny how the people who lived here before me destroyed this place. Based on my landlord's attitude I'm not surprised in the least. I actually fix every little thing that gets damaged, right away. I treat this place like my own because at the end of the day I'm the one who's gotta live here. Worst I would do is not clean up and tell him to keep my DD and fuck off, since he's gonna nickel and dime me for it anyways, I'd make the process real real simple. But I would never cause deliberate damage.

Originally posted by masoncgy

Sure you would, tough guy.

Who the fuck is this retard anyway?
    The infamous Vince1 dickwad, where were you when I got outed months ago?

To think at onetime I actually held some merit to your posts, and had a little respect....Wait..maybe it was someone else.

What a POS.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Heavyfuel, you need to take up any concerns you have with your current landlord as they don't sound that great. Not all landlords are like that, for example mine is awesome. Or if it really bothered you, you could always, ya know, move out.

Landlords have a lot more to lose than renters do so I sympathize with them wanting the best person using their property, constantly keeping an eye etc. How that isn't understandable to you boggles my mind. I'm a renter and I'm honestly sick and tired of you bitching about renting. Shut the fuck up about it already.

Coles: Move if your landlord sucks.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by C_Dave45

To think at onetime I actually held some merit to your posts, and had a little respect....Wait..maybe it was someone else.

What a POS.
    Clearly you must have missed my last post, your opinion of me is of no value to me but I'm actually a nice guy.

Originally posted by msommers
    Heavyfuel, you need to take up any concerns you have with your current landlord as they don't sound that great. Not all landlords are like that, for example mine is awesome. Or if it really bothered you, you could always, ya know, move out.

Landlords have a lot more to lose than renters do so I sympathize with them wanting the best person using their property, constantly keeping an eye etc. How that isn't understandable to you boggles my mind. I'm a renter and I'm honestly sick and tired of you bitching about renting. Shut the fuck up about it already.

Coles: Move if your landlord sucks.
    My landlord is alright. He's by the book and responsible. I'd say he's one of the better landlords out there. He's just one year younger than I am and always brags about all his cars and cabins and properties whenever he's over here, that's the uncool part.

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

Clearly you must have missed my last post, your opinion of me is of no value to me but I'm actually a nice guy.

My landlord is alright. He's by the book and responsible. I'd say he's one of the better landlords out there. He's just one year younger than I am and always brags about all his cars and cabins and properties whenever he's over here, that's the uncool part.
    Sounds like you fucking jealous! So the guy does well for himself and you think he owes you something?

Originally posted by 7thgenvic

Sounds like you fucking jealous! So the guy does well for himself and you think he owes you something?
    Bitter, for sure. He doesn't owe me anything. Would be nice if he'd keep it to himself is all I'm saying. Put it this way- I never quote jobs in front of my helper, paying him $15/hr makes me a lot of money and I don't flaunt how much, in his face. Same principle.
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 02-16-2013 at 06:27 PM.

*edit- posted twice for some reason

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

Glad this turned in to a flamewar. If you were capable of reading carefully, I'm not buying this as another asset in which to rent out later. I'm buying this as my primary place of residence. There's also a reason that I was looking for information, so that I don't potentially fuck over the current tenants.

The house was destroyed inside from the current tenants, and had probably $50k worth of work to be done to it (inside and out). Plus they were allowed (or not, who knows) to smoke inside. We won't be buying it.

Originally posted by SKR

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I had this happen to me. I had to move out. I didn't get cunty about it.

Originally posted by Kirbs17
    Glad this turned in to a flamewar. If you were capable of reading carefully, I'm not buying this as another asset in which to rent out later. I'm buying this as my primary place of residence. There's also a reason that I was looking for information, so that I don't potentially fuck over the current tenants.

The house was destroyed inside from the current tenants, and had probably $50k worth of work to be done to it (inside and out). Plus they were allowed (or not, who knows) to smoke inside. We won't be buying it.
    My apologies. I'm not even being sarcastic when I say that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast