Quantcast
Undercoat, Aftermarket Protection - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Undercoat, Aftermarket Protection

Default Undercoat, Aftermarket Protection

We couldn't get the protection thrown in with the price of a vehicle we are buying. :-(

Realize that the $1599 for the whole package (Undercoat, Paint, Interior, stupid electronic rust module; $599 for just the undercoating) is a pretty ridiculous price point. Where would you guys suggest going for an aftermarket undercoat? Would you suggest getting the whole protection package? What should I expect to pay?

Thanks. I could only find some old threads, referencing actual shops. Somewhere in the southish would be preferable.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Id only consider the undercoat out of any of that crap.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Do not get the Protection Packages from a dealer. They are marked up big time by the Finance Dept, sometimes 200-300%. $599 for undercoating is ridiculous. Cost of the spray probably $50, labour time, at max, 30 mins.

From most of the threads, I think The Car Salon was recommending for rust proofing/undercoating.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Any other suggestions than car salon?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Might wanna consider getting Krown undercoating. Never get any of that extra shit at the dealership unless it's included in the price.
    Ultracrepidarian

Hmm... Krown seems to be about half the price of Car Salon. Is there a difference between the two processes?

Walmart is actually one of the best spots for undercoating.. Atleast in NS anyways.

My Ride
    Eagle Talon

Default Re: Undercoat, Aftermarket Protection

Originally posted by chengj
    We couldn't get the protection thrown in with the price of a vehicle we are buying. :-(

Realize that the $1599 for the whole package (Undercoat, Paint, Interior, stupid electronic rust module; $599 for just the undercoating) is a pretty ridiculous price point. Where would you guys suggest going for an aftermarket undercoat? Would you suggest getting the whole protection package? What should I expect to pay?

Thanks. I could only find some old threads, referencing actual shops. Somewhere in the southish would be preferable.
    From my days working at the dealership, I can tell you:

Undercoat - Most every car comes with factory undercoat applied to the problem areas. When the dealership applies their undercoat, they apply it to the areas left out by the factory. i.e. it's not the biggest thing in the world if you skip.

Paint Protection - This is simply a wax job with a "special" wax that will wear off sooner than later. You might as well do this yourself and save the $.

Don't mean to derail you, just my 0.2.

Last edited by Cos; 12-30-2016 at 04:05 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Silverado

such a waste of money, don't bother with anything from the finance dept. except maybe the extended warranty, but be diligent about its details

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Originally posted by ryanallan
    Undercoat - Most every car comes with factory undercoat applied to the problem areas. When the dealership applies their undercoat, they apply it to the areas left out by the factory. i.e. it's not the biggest thing in the world if you skip.

Not on most makes...

As a detailer for the past 10 years, I highly recommend undercoat. However, DO NOT get it done at a dealership. Make sure you get it done at a detailer/auto spa type shop on the day that you pick up the vehicle. the longer you wait between picking up the car and taking it to the shop the more you'll likely have to spend for them to steam clean the underside of the car. Assuming they do it correctly.

Also, ask about rust proofing. Not that stupid little electronic module but the actual spray that they put on the inside panels of your car. Maybe not such a big deal in Calgary, but if you take your car anywhere that relies on salt for snow removal and has high humidity levels (BC/Ontario) I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by DeeK; 02-19-2013 at 01:54 AM.

My Ride
    Sedans

The undercoat is one item I require on a car which will be driven year-round. I would definitely NOT skip that, period.

The rust-proofing is another item I like; the spray-inside-the-panels type as mentioned above.

Through my own experiences these two are very much worth it. So dealer or otherwise, I'd look into them. The sooner the better, especially with the undercoating.

Blog: http://officialthreetwenty.com/

'92 Grand Prix SE sedan: 3.1L V6 / Auto
    '12 Focus SE sedan: 2.0L I4 / 5-speed manual

-Bill M.

Im telling you guys, that back east undercoating is a MUST. The difference between 2 cars, with one done and the other not - is unmistakable. And its not a one time thing either. Its not AS needed out here, but def helps more than it hurts.

So Car Salon is the only and best choice among beyonders for Undercoating in Calgary? That is the main thing I am interested in. Thanks!

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Default Re: Re: Undercoat, Aftermarket Protection

Originally posted by ryanallan

Paint Protection - This is simply a wax job with a "special" wax that will wear off sooner than later. You might as well do this yourself and save the $.
    Also the "Interior Protection Package" is just scotchguard with a ridiculous markup, get youself a can of this Canadian Tire and call it a day