Quantcast
Where to buy: noodle bowls + chopsticks - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Where to buy: noodle bowls + chopsticks

My Ride
    Whip.

Question Where to buy: noodle bowls + chopsticks

I'm looking for some legit china noodle bowls (like big bowl that a honger hobo eats out of) and some decent plastic chopsticks.

Where to buy in town?
    THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE:
    N/A, 8000RPM REDLINE, CLOSE RATIO MANUAL, RWD, LSD

AE86, S2000, E46M3

Scratch that...fat, boost, AWD, DSG

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

A little houseware shop right outside of T&T in the NE. Lots of selection.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

LOL. Don't most of the grocery stores have an aisle full of that kind of stuff?
    I'm pretty I've seen that stuff at Lambda.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I've seen bowls and chopsticks inside T & T itself.

Try Pacific Place mall, sure theres some house-ware store in there.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Lambda Supermarket. The pretty shady looking place right by Sun Chiu Kee aka Sun's BBQ on Centre Street.

Just picked up some green plastic chopsticks (dai pai dong style) this weekend.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by TYMSMNY
    A little houseware shop right outside of T&T in the NE. Lots of selection.
    That Japanese store is still there? Haven't been to that TnT ever since the second one opened. That place has some nice JDM stuff but the price is quite a bit more than the cheapo chinese stuff. A bowl is a bowl right? Unless you care lol.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by lilmira

That Japanese store is still there? Haven't been to that TnT ever since the second one opened. That place has some nice JDM stuff but the price is quite a bit more than the cheapo chinese stuff. A bowl is a bowl right? Unless you care lol.
    Utsuwa no Yakata has been gone for years.

Cheapest place is B & J restaurant supplies:

http://goo.gl/maps/1DiJK

Yes let the jokes begin..

For chopsticks, we just re-use the disposable wooden ones (the higher quality "round" ones) that we get from sushi joints. They easily survive a long time even through the dishwasher, and when they warp (I've never had a pair actually break unlike plastic ones which get brittle over time), they go into the garbage and out come new ones. We just save them up anytime we get them from ordering take out. They can survive going into hot pot too. I even like the 'feel' of them more than regular chopsticks.

We have a drawer full of really nice Japanese chopsticks and such but they never get used hahaha. The only time we don't use them is when guests come over LOL.
    Last edited by clem24; 02-20-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

That's a shame. They have some really nice stuff that I wouldn't mind paying for and I don't think they were overpriced at all. Were they done for good or they moved somewhere else?

For chopsticks, I always like the korean stainless ones and I still have a pair made of ivory that I've been using since I was a child.

My Ride
    STi

lambda, T&T or take a stroll through chinatown. There's bound to be plenty there.

My Ride
    Whip.

Originally posted by ga16i
    Lambda Supermarket. The pretty shady looking place right by Sun Chiu Kee aka Sun's BBQ on Centre Street.

Just picked up some green plastic chopsticks (dai pai dong style) this weekend.
    Thank you.

AE86, S2000, E46M3

My Ride
    Whip.

K I finally got those green chopsticks from Lambda...

They look nice, but they are slippery! The edges are quite rounded, making them tough to hold in the proper grip!

AE86, S2000, E46M3

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
    K I finally got those green chopsticks from Lambda...

They look nice, but they are slippery! The edges are quite rounded, making them tough to hold in the proper grip!
    NE T&T, first stall right outside (opposite of restaurant wing). they have different colors, different shapes.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I should ask the guys at Zipang where they got their in-house ones, really nice quality.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by msommers
    I should ask the guys at Zipang where they got their in-house ones, really nice quality.
    For eating Chinese food, I actually don't like Japanese chopsticks all that much; they don't really work for shoveling rice into your rice in your mouth and the narrower ends also makes them somewhat harder to use (for me at least). I also find I don't like the metal Korean chopsticks as they are too heavy and causes my hand to cramp LOL. Not to mention that they're not good for cooking instant noodles unless you want to burn yourself.

But yes the Zipang chopsticks are quite nice; they have really cool no slip coating on the ends. Just ask them. They're all very nice.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

"honger hobo"

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by lilmira
    That's a shame. They have some really nice stuff that I wouldn't mind paying for and I don't think they were overpriced at all. Were they done for good or they moved somewhere else?

For chopsticks, I always like the korean stainless ones and I still have a pair made of ivory that I've been using since I was a child.
    Pretty sure they are gone. My wife loved that place, got a few things from there, expensive but good quality, don't think it was overpriced either, but probably isn't the best location for an expensive wares store with "Made in Japan" stickers, vs a much cheaper counterparts "Made in China", since for most people, a bowl is a bowl.

7 years now for our stone pot that we bought from that place, good as new, and perfect for some spicy noodles

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by eblend

Pretty sure they are gone. My wife loved that place, got a few things from there, expensive but good quality, don't think it was overpriced either, but probably isn't the best location for an expensive wares store with "Made in Japan" stickers, vs a much cheaper counterparts "Made in China", since for most people, a bowl is a bowl.

Not everything in Utsuwa no Yakata was place.... It's $$$ bling. The bowls themselves are absolutely beautiful and can almost be considered art pieces but in no way were they of good quality; they are actually very brittle. I've broken and chipped so much of our dinnerware that was bought from there. But still... Those little "made in Japan" stickers made a complete sucker out of me hahaha.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

They are good in terms of craftsmanship. The bowls are so thin and light. They are not made as robust for impact or slippery hands for sure. For that, your regular Corning or even the Ikea stuff will be better but they show no finesse.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

I found the perfect sized bowl at Crate and Barrell. 8.5" Deep is perfect for an ichiban pack, and a couple handfulls of veggies.

I am also looking for some decent chopsticks, so I will have to check some of these places out.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

B+J on centre st is packed full of kitchen shit and they have very large, plain white bowls, and cheap(!) bamboo chopsticks. The bowls work really well for salads that are large enough for a meal and are super easy to mix without losing a bunch of lettuce like on a plate.

Ultracrepidarian