Quantcast
1st year Apprentice welder moving to Calgary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 1st year Apprentice welder moving to Calgary

Default 1st year Apprentice welder moving to Calgary

Just finished my pre employment and working at a shop.I will be moving to Calgary in may and am looking for decent shops to apply to for apprentice welding work.The shop i work at now is a dirty oilfield shop with no work ethic or pride of workmanship and anything and i mean anything goes out the door.Can you recommend good ones and ones to stay away from,thanks.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Prairie hydraulic.
    Biddell. (pronounced "Bye-Dell")
    (Both companies couldn't give two vague fucks about keeping you. The SECOND it slows down you'll have a pink slip in your hand, and they have very very creepy people working there).

My buddy just got laid off from Biddell not too long ago. He was an awesome employee and a very hard worker, but they had to thin the heard, so they showed him the door. It seems like they have a very very high turn over rate in that regard. So to me thats a very far cry from anywhere I'd want to work.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 02-20-2013 at 09:40 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

We are in a slowdown now, but if we are looking in may, i will let you know. Please be advised, we are very strict on who we keep, and if you arent working out, or pulling your weight, you WILL be let go, no ands, ifs, or buts. You may have a job by then so who knows.

You can try Motion steel, Moli industries, Tri-star, and if you want to venture out north from calgary, you can try Eastlake welding in airdrie, Centreline manufacturing in crossfield (talk to marco) or Hocan industries.

My Ride

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    We are in a slowdown now, but if we are looking in may, i will let you know. Please be advised, we are very strict on who we keep, and if you arent working out, or pulling your weight, you WILL be let go, no ands, ifs, or buts. You may have a job by then so who knows.
    Interesting, although sounds cold though. Like useless people are useless, so in that regard, sure get rid of them. But if people have their bad days (or even weeks) or have made a few mistakes, it seems quite unforgiving to let them go over it.

I should have mentioned. to the OP, you can PM me, were desperate for welders right now. Its a great work environment. Were not far from Glenmore & Barlow. Basically we make heavy oil field equipment, but the work is not at all overly technical or hard. So I think it would be a great place for you to come for work experience.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Interesting, although sounds cold though. Like useless people are useless, so in that regard, sure get rid of them. But if people have their bad days (or even weeks) or have made a few mistakes, it seems quite unforgiving to let them go over it.

I should have mentioned. to the OP, you can PM me, were desperate for welders right now. Its a great work environment. Were not far from Glenmore & Barlow. Basically we make heavy oil field equipment, but the work is not at all overly technical or hard. So I think it would be a great place for you to come for work experience.
    Only useless people, trust me. Where big shops will keep around a few useless guys, because they fly under the radar, we, do not, because we are small and cant afford uselessness.

Default T

Thanks everyone for the info and advice.I dont mean to come across the wrong way but i do want to become a really good welder.I know i have to start somewhere at the bottom and i am a hard worker,drug free and am always on time so i know if i work hard my work will speak for itself.If you hear of any other shops please let me know, thanks.

Sorry for the slight threadjack.. But would it be beneficial to take the SAIT pre-apprenticeship welding technician program to get your foot into the door? I've been thinking of changing careers lately..

My Ride

Meh, i personally dont think its worth the money. it cost A LOT more than a standard 1st year tuition.

You need to find a shop that wants a labourer, and make it clear that you are after an apprenticeship. Any good shop will eventually move you up. It costs them 35$ to indenture you....so if you're good, im sure they will do it. Labourer is your best way to get your foot in the door IMO. In the fabrication industry (not just being a button pushing welder) there is a lot more to learn than just how to operate a welder, so its beneficial to start at the bottom. Learn how to efficiently use a saw, and cut accurately, run a grinder PROPERLY not like some grunt. Then maybe they will move you to tacking simple shapes together, get you to start reading prints, etc...

Its very important to get those skills in order, or you are just another guy with a welding gun, and are therefore not as much of an asset. I like to say, WELDERS are a dime a dozen, FABRICATORS/FITTERS are the people you want to keep around/aspire to be. Dont be just another idiot with a welding ticket , theres enough of them out there.

My Ride

^ true that man.. Im always amazed at seeing things that are welded that are up to 1/2" off..... its like, seriously? Im no welder by trade but I or even a well trained chimp can do better then that.

At my last shop we had a guy that was accurate to 0.01" if not more. Damn good guy that could TIG weld these titanium tanks together with just perfect accuracy everytime.

My Ride
    2010 Black on Black F150

Indutech on 52st has a sign up right know looking for laborers and 1st years

Try enerflex, they are looking for all trades for night shift right now. If u can get on here it would very good for you. Excellent benefits, apprenticeship program, and safety program. But like bidell they are very cyclical and have to let guys go when it slows down. Just the gas compression industry I guess.