Quantcast
6.0L LS, 70 Chevelle - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.0L LS, 70 Chevelle

My Ride
    '70 Chevelle

Default 6.0L LS, 70 Chevelle

Hey all,

I'm just copying and pasting this from another forum. I frequent this forum daily so I figured it was time to throw this up.

Here is the budget plan. I wish I had more money to spend on this but I don't! I rely on doing all the work myself to keep the price down.

6.0L LQ4, new rings, bearings
    HP Tuners pro
    Tick cam
    1 x Comp Cams Hi-Tech Pushrods: 5/16", 7.400" (.105 Wall)
    Brian Tooley Racing .660" Lift Platinum Spring Kit
    LS9 gaskets
    Autokraft pan
    Melling Performance Oil Pump
    Fluidampr balancer (order for the 2010+ camaro, it fits the truck accessories)
    Flywheel and adapter for TH400
    Cloyes Hex-a-just timing set
    Denmah Turbo Kit from VS Racing (GT45, wastegate, intercooler, 2 vbands, cold side piping)
    AEM Tru-boost
    AEM Wideband
    Tanks Inc FI tank with walbro 400
    8AN hosing, fuel lab filter
    probably other stuff I'm forgetting..

First: A little back story on me. I grew up in a car-family. Always wrenching on chevys with my dad. 1970 Chevelles have always been my dream car. However, when I turned 16 I was intrigued by the newer-computer controlled cars. So I bought an eagle talon. It was a great little car for what it was. I did some mods and managed a best of 13.2 at 105.

Fast forward a few years I had the opportunity to purchase my dream car (which my dad found in a garage while buying a set of american rims from the owner.) Let the fun begin:

The first year I owned the car was mainly putting it back together since it had been taken apart and left to sit for nearly 30 years (last registration I could find was from '83)

I opted to throw a 350/th400 combo in it to get it running since it was complete and the right price (thanks again dad)

I drove it the first summer like this, slowly working out the kinks.

The next winter I focused on working tonnes of OT to pay for the paint job (I would love to do it myself but I am not a very good artist) I also spent some time on the interior.

The previous owner had installed a crush velvet interior :eek2:

It was a lot of work but I am happy how it turned out!

I got the car back from paint just in time to throw it back together and drive it for the summer.

My Ride
    '70 Chevelle

I have never been into the whole showcar thing and the paint reflects that. With the amount of time I spend on this thing I want to be able to enjoy it!

This was how she sat for most of the summer. I ran into LS1_Chevelle at the Three Hills car show. I had seen his thread on this forum before. But, I have to say, seeing his car in person really sold me.

I was bit by the LS bug! I was working a lot of overtime so I was mostly just researching and cruising kijiji at this time.

Around November I found what I was waiting for! A decent deal on an LQ4, it was a couple of hours away so my dad and I loaded up and went out to grab it one night after work

The guy had pulled it out of his '03 H2 in favour of a duramax (cool idea, another project to add to the list.) I picked up the engine, harness, and pretty much everything else for 800 bucks.

My father is a machinist by trade so we tore it down to give the bottom end a freshening up.

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

About time you posted this up, beyond doesn't get too many opportunities to see muscle like this.

My Ride
    '70 Chevelle

Around this time I went on a part run. I had ordered everything that I thought I would need from the states and had them delivered to the Montana Shipping Outlet. This allowed me to save on shipping and duty. We get gouged pretty bad in Canada when ordering from the states and I had enough on order to justify it. Despite having 15+ packages to pickup, it went smoothly!

We cleaned everything up and installed the new bearings. Painted the block Chevy orange and started reassembly!

pistons/rod in and test fit the Autokraft oil pan! I am super happy with it.

Timing chain in, windage tray bolted down.

Bolted the heads up. I went with the budget-minded (okay.. cheap) head studs from KMJ. Got them torqued down with no issues! *fingers crossed*

Slapped the tick Cam in. Thanks a lot to Martin! I had queried a few of the cam guys and Martin was the only one to take the time to explain exactly why he recommended a specific spec.

Front/Rear cover painted up and bolted on! Also put my Fluidampr balancer on. I had one of these on my 4g63t and was happy with it.

This was around Christmas time so I spent some time in doors working on the wiring. I was on lt1swap.com a lot, it was SUPER helpful for this.

Here's the victim how she sat right before engine removal!

Engine out!

My Ride
    '70 Chevelle

Time to bolt 6.0L to the TH400. I was a little hesitant about cutting up the floor of the car to fit the 4l80e and quickly running out of funds so i went with an already built and stalled transmission that I know works. We will see how I like it, may change it up next winter.

Touchdown!

I went with the Dirty Dingo solid mounts. I am happy with them! No issues with the welds (in fact there weren't any welds, the ears were bent out to bolt to the frame mounts.) Intake on and I started mapping out my wiring harness

I cleaned up one of the truck manifolds in the glass-beader. Looks good!

"test fitting" the turbo.. I cant wait. :secret2:

Here's where it started to get interesting! I mounted the ECM in the factory location for an H2 (front drivers fender) - in hopes of limiting the amount of wire lengthening/shortening I had to do.

Every once in a while I have to step back and see what I'm working on to stay motivated.

Welded the 2.5" V-bands on. It was surprisingly easy to weld. NOTE: This was my first time welding with a MIG (or at all really) It ain't pretty, but I think it will hold! Feel free to leave any tips on this.

My dad and I built a mount for the turbo using 1/2' steel plates, 3 bolts to the passenger head. It was much easier having the turbo "mounted" for running the pipes to it.

Put the rad back in to check clearances, looks close.

My Ride
    '70 Chevelle

Welded up the 2.25" crossover. I was trying to keep this as easy as possible because I used cheap material and my welding skills were weak. I think it will work! I may change it in the future when I upgrade to a BW turbo.

First start!!!

Please excuse the smoke alarm going off.. I wanted to get it fired for peace of mind and motivation. It worked!

http://youtu.be/ryUoKu8AI8E

Test fitting the intercooler. I don't think I am going to be able to run it with this rad. Even with cutting the support it is too close to the turbo inlet.

Pretty cool shot of the piping through the grill.

Started working on the downpipe! I went with a 4" since I think I can fit it.

I plan to have a 4" cutout under the passengers seat. One side will dump and the other will convert into a factory style exhaust. I dont have either of these yet though, open down pipe it is! For now.

Another motivational shot.

Turbo hot side done! .. except for the wastegate.

I was feeling lazy yesterday so I worked on getting my wideband and boost gauge installed. I am happy with the end result!

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 02:35 PM.

My Ride
    '70 Chevelle

Tonight we worked on getting the wastegate plumbed. It is going to be interesting with my limited welding skills!

I actually have progressed a bit further than this. I drove it for the first time on Monday.. before the snow hit.

Working on getting a base tune atm.. tuning with HPTuners pro. Trying to decide who I want to get to professionally tune the car. Any suggestions?

My Ride
    '70 Chevelle

Originally posted by StreetRacerX
    About time you posted this up, beyond doesn't get too many opportunities to see muscle like this.
    Haha, sorry you got lost in the middle of the picture montage! Apparently I'm trigger happy with the camera, beyond doesn't like it.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 02:35 PM.

My Ride
    '70 Chevelle

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    So badass! Very clean build, looks like you're nearly done? Any appearances planned for this spring/summer?
    Thank you!! The major stuff is done. Now the little things need to get finished. I have a week off work starting tomorrow so I hope to have most of it finished after that.

I try to make it to as many car shows as possible! Usually at GE/Chinook on Wednesdays and barlow either friday or saturday nights.

My Ride
    K-car

Sweet build!

My Ride
    Its Quick

Hallowed_Point and I were wondering where you were at the last Beyond meet.....guess we know where now.

Awesome work and good to see a young fella doing so much of his own work.

wow, im loving it so far man. great job!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Absolutely stellar man. Good to see someone with passion for the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Sweet Ride Man.

Or should I say Sean Boswell.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Sick

My Ride
    Evo X GSR

Beautiful car!
    Its not the hand you're dealt it's how you play your cards.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

I love that car. I really want to see it this summer. Seems like there are some other lurking cars in the garage...A 57 Belair? and a 67 Camaro? (prob off by a year or so)
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    '70 Chevelle

Yes! This thing has kept my busy the last couple of months, almost lost my girlfriend because of it!

I appreciate the kind words! All of the pics were taken in my old mans garage, he has a few cars poking around from as long as 45 years ago! I grew up helping him restore them. We have done a 55 nomad, 55 belair 2 door post, 2 67 camaros, a lowered and chopped 78 silverado, 62 impala and of course my car, 70 chevelle.

Here is the most recent pic (taken on Monday)

Basically just need to get an air filter figured out, throw my 80lbs injectors in and split loom and clean up all the wiring.

I also ordered my exhaust from summit, hopefully that comes in next week some time. It is pretty loud right now with the 4" dump underneath the car.

I looked at Tomas site a little bit, I will have to stop by and talk to him at some point. I heard he was hard to get a hold of! I was going to bring it to the meet tonight but the snow kind of killed that.. Next week if it's nice I will be there!
    Last edited by LSChevelle; 04-16-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast