Quantcast
Two separate vehicles hit pedestrian and run, two more drive on by - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Two separate vehicles hit pedestrian and run, two more drive on by

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-16-2019 at 01:38 PM.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

On the news the police are shown flashing lights at the lower front end of all cars in the area. Does not like the 2nd driver can take their normal route....

Sad to hear about the death
    Used to live by there and took the bus daily from that intersection. Still take the bus from there on occasion.

Hopefully witnesses that were waiting at the bus stops at both the NW and SE corner will step up. It's the terminal for the #3 and the express buses (64 & 62) going downtown stop there. There's also a day care centre on the SW corner.

When I first heard about it that morning, reports were saying it was the Sandpiper Link and Beddington Blvd - not a lighted intersection but there is an intersection and if memory serves me right, there was a playground zone.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by ercchry

where the hell are you living that its not dark at ~6:45am today?! or are you just not reading right and figure it said it happened at 7:45am?
    I thought it later like 7:30. Still no excuses for being in one of the most well lit city in NA.

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by FraserB
    So you are advocating that upon seeing something in the road, you lock the brakes up and hope you don't cause another accident, then turn your flashers on past the person. Or would you be backing up in traffic? At that time of day, you probably aren't going to realize it's a person until you're nearly on top of them, which is probably why the people who avoided her did so.

The argument can also be made that it can be, at times, safer to hit an object in the road rather than swerve to avoid it.
    I drive highway everyday, perhaps I hold my skills of forward observation higher than you do yours.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    1996 del sol

what happen to people lookin both ways b4 crossing the road...wonder how we rank compared to other cities for running over people

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

Originally posted by lilmira
    But you probably wouldn't just drive away had you hit her, right?
    No. I don't know how I could look myself in the mirror if I fled. Heck my company HSE policy requires me to be trained in first aid, so I have an obligation to stop and help.

Originally posted by nutella
    Sad to hear about the death
    Used to live by there and took the bus daily from that intersection. Still take the bus from there on occasion.

Hopefully witnesses that were waiting at the bus stops at both the NW and SE corner will step up. It's the terminal for the #3 and the express buses (64 & 62) going downtown stop there. There's also a day care centre on the SW corner.

When I first heard about it that morning, reports were saying it was the Sandpiper Link and Beddington Blvd - not a lighted intersection but there is an intersection and if memory serves me right, there was a playground zone.
    yup playground zone ends prob like a block before the intersection.

i live in the area, thats sad for the lady who got hit.

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

I think its sad they both took off.

Now onto my Calgary rant. Every day I see cross walks that are not marked, have no light at night, and the cross walk paint is faded away or half seen. As a drive I spend a lot of time looking around making sure some dumb ass doesent just run out in front of me.

Now onto my J walking rant. If you live near somerset ctrain station than you know that its just time until some dumb ass J walker gets killed and im going to feel so sorry for the driver. The J walkers just dont care at all.

I wish Canada was like Europe.

My Ride
    2015 Ford Focus SE

An article in the Sun states that the cars swerved around the lady that was hit and a person who was helping her...

"As the 56-year-old mother lay in the street, vehicles swerved around Wong and the woman who rushed to her side in the middle of Sandstone Dr. near Berkshire Blvd.

Tonja Beach, 37, tried to soothe the tiny woman with devastating injuries on the pavement while people walked by and others drove past."

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/02/21...c-indifference
    Originally posted by rage2 in 2002
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by snoop101

Now onto my J walking rant. If you live near somerset ctrain station than you know that its just time until some dumb ass J walker gets killed and im going to feel so sorry for the driver. The J walkers just dont care at all.

I wish Canada was like Europe.
    just an amazing area to drive... my favorite is when this one time some jackass ate shit tossing his belongings and his face clear across all lanes... blocking all traffic for a solid 10 minutes

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I would stop, I have stopped actually for situations like this... I can't drive by somebody that is in dire need of immediate assistance, it would be pretty unconscionable.
    Looking back, I'm 99% sure I would have too in this case. I know that last time I had to use my first aid, I didn't even think before acting. And even if she is getting help from someone, my training and available supplies might be greater than those of whoever is already stopped.

I just think its a good idea to go into this kind of situation with your safety in the front of your mind.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Heard on the radio today that they located the second car. No other information was given though.

this is horrible...

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by roopi
    Heard on the radio today that they located the second car. No other information was given though.
    Confirmed not the car.
    So now they are saying that she was hit again within seconds after the first contact. It makes no sense for the second driver to flee other than panicking.

It sounds a bit better for the people who drove around the victim now knowing that someone was there. I would probably still stop and see if I could help before I drove off though, then contact the police after to give them info.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

I'll bet the drivers are not from Calgary or the Maritimes.(however you spell it.)
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by lilmira

Confirmed not the car.
    So now they are saying that she was hit again within seconds after the first contact. It makes no sense for the second driver to flee other than panicking.

It sounds a bit better for the people who drove around the victim now knowing that someone was there. I would probably still stop and see if I could help before I drove off though, then contact the police after to give them info.
    Tonja ran out pretty much immediately after the accident. She's the one who reported the 2 cars didn't stop and swerved around them. It makes more sense that the old lady already got hit twice before Tonja got out there.

I don't think it sound any better for the people who swerve and left.

You see 2 ladies on the road. At a minimum, stop 2-3 car length from them and block the traffic for them.

And yes, there is no reason for the 2nd driver to flee unless he has something to hide from the cops. This story just enrage me to no end.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-22-2013 at 11:43 AM.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Tragic.

On a side note.. its pretty funny how different the comments are in this thread compared to if this had occured in the NE.

My Ride
    Silverado

Well it was only 2-3 blocks from the NE right? Kind of a blurry area.

Officials are still searching for a second vehicle, a brown four-door Oldsmobile with damage to lower portion of vehicle.

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/%E2%8...701/story.html

From the picture it seems that the body was in the middle of the lane. Did people swerve into the left turning lane to get around since there were parked cars on the other side? :/ At least she didn't die alone. Thank goodness Tonja had some compassion.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast