Quantcast
mobile interac/credit processing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mobile interac/credit processing

My Ride
    4x4

Default mobile interac/credit processing

Ok, my head officially hurts

I've spent a solid week getting earfulls of rates, fees and legalese... My wifes spent more time on that than I have...

And we're just more confused than when we started.

Can I just ask for a beyond recommendation? The seemingly honest companies don't seem to want to talk - the dishonest ones are already driving us nuts with callbacks... The middle-of-the road, like to drive us insane with lack of information.

Looking to setup to take payments onsite - credit and debit. Preferably via android device (carry my cell anyway... Don't really want a 3rd mobile device to haul along) - but if I have to I'll downgrade to an iphone

Any advice - who do I want to deal with vs who to avoid like the plague? Seems like every provider is proclaimed to be both the antichrist and godsend... I just want to start this ball rolling, never thought it would be such a pain in the arse.

My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion SE; 2001 VW Passat GLS

I use Square on my android. But they only do credit right now, no debit. I have played with the new debit credit cards and they seem to work but as a credit card.

Rate is 2.75% per swipe. No special fees etc for different cards....just the 2.75%.

No merchant account needed. Just a normal account to link to.

So far I'm pretty happy with them. No problems as of yet, and funds are next business day.

How on Earth is it a pain in the ass??? Get a merchant account at your bank, no more difficult than getting any other account. My wireless terminal thru TD costs me $46/mth plus I get a bill from Bell for $14.68/mth to use it. I can take Visa, MC or debit. As with everything else I don't really know the breakdown of all the fees I'm paying nor do I care, but for example a paltry $4933 is all I made last month and my fees, including the terminal rental but minus the amount Bell charges, were only $125.79. Plus Square isn't gonna help you build a rapport with your bank. And Square doesn't print out a receipt on the spot either.
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 02-23-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Square's pretty good. If you dont have a high volume, most don't mind you adding on the 2.75% fee to the transaction to cover costs.

Small little device that works for any one registered with the app. Only issue like Travis said is the credit card only aspect.

My Ride
    4x4

Moneris has been a royal pain to contact, been phone tagging with their rep for this whole time, apparently nobody else can help me and he's never available when I am...

quickbooks has almost had it just handed to them if I just go credit only, gopayment seems to be a nice 1 click setup... but seems silly to do just c/c in Canada... square and paypal - little higher rate...

that reminds me, need to see who the Costco scenario is...

^^ You're making this so much harder than it needs to be.

I am using Square. Its working great for me! If customer does not want to use CC I usually use EMT
    Euro

My Ride
    4x4

Holy F**K I'm getting pissy with moneris - how long does it take to get a quote... More so when the referal comes from your bank...

Just a follow up question - anyone have experience with Elavon? (Costco's provider) - rate is 1.72% for credit (2.25% keyed) and .06 for debit...

I've got Square, haven't even used it yet. Most of my side-job customers just pay cheque or cash and I do so little business that I don't mind the cheques.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I use PayPal and recommend it. The fees are slightly higher but the ease of use/brand recognition makes up for it.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mp...it-card-reader

Originally posted by A790
    I use PayPal and recommend it. The fees are slightly higher but the ease of use/brand recognition makes up for it.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mp...it-card-reader
    Hm, I had no idea Paypal did this. The fee is slightly lower than Square and you're definitely right about brand recognition. I think I'll try it out.

My Ride
    Bicycle

2.7% is the only charge or are you getting ding on top depends on what your customer's card is (Visa/Mastercard/AMEX etC)

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    2.7% is the only charge or are you getting ding on top depends on what your customer's card is (Visa/Mastercard/AMEX etC)
    Flat fee.

My Ride
    4x4

Was having a long chat with northpay this morning. But then reading about the processor they're tied to... gah!

dunno, there's something to be said about the moneris/chase/monex terminals - its at least a name you know... I'd be leery of a 3rd rate card reader if presented to me...

that said, intuit gopayment - is tempting...since it ties into qb so nicely - but no debit...

Cheques are a royal pain... just piecing that mess together this morning, as I've got 5 different hold times (teller vs atm deposit, personal vs company - and some in my name signed over to Co.) and comparing to job cashflow requirements... makes me crosseyed at times.

With regards to Square, I've used it as a customer when taking a cab in Colorado and I thought it was great. It e-mailed me my receipt and it was very little hassle to use.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Use moneris e-select - pretty good should cost you 20/month (real merchant account)

Paypal Here and Square, intuit are more likely to hold your funds.

The service is not designed for debit cards since Debit Visa in Canada only works as interac for the most part

Hey,

I work in industry and have seen all sorts of mobile payment solutions. The most promising one to date is the solution just now being offered by BeanStream. http://mobile.beanstream.com/ I spoke with the rep today due to some compliance issues and they have plans to offer debit payment shortly. It is not listed on the website but the device costs $49. I believe you'll have to open a merchant account with TD Canada Trust.

Geez reading this thread I'm convinced I'm gonna have an easier time buying my first home than OP will with this (non) issue.

Such a simple process to get a terminal/merchant acct. Can't go wrong with TD.

My Ride
    4x4

Well if moneris would ever get back to me

And yeah, I bought my house last year - as a self employed person with wife on maternity... Credit was less than stellar, and all it took for us was a trip to a decent broker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast