Quantcast
Why are AHS heads allowed to rob Albertans and not get fired? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Why are AHS heads allowed to rob Albertans and not get fired?

Default Why are AHS heads allowed to rob Albertans and not get fired?

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2012/...ices-spending/

This is probably already an old story (people have short memories), but how is this legal or at least ethical?

I don't understand how this is simply being accepted without any action by the premier?

AHS is a failed government wing, we need to radically ratify it, and this is just another symptom. It must run deep because guys like Raj Sharma are IN the system now and helpless as the rest of us?

Or am I over reacting? First World problem?

My Ride
    something green

More like where is Revenue Canada in all of this..
    Too loud for Aspen

Default Re: Why are AHS heads allowed to rob Albertans and not get fired?

Originally posted by dawerks

Or am I over reacting? First World problem?
    A bit of both. The expenses need to be under maximum scrutiny to stop stuff like iPod cases and other nonsense. However a position like Alberta HEalth is a very large entity dealing with a lot of money so the people you need at the top will have the option of other places that have higher salaries, large expense accounts, both and more. Expense accounts and memberships are required to stay competitive.

Just so long as people are getting upset for the right things, in this case being that the $190K in expenses shouldn't be the issue, but what got it there.

Competive with what? A competing health provider?

Originally posted by Nitro5
    Competive with what? A competing health provider?
    Well for one, several of the executives aren't doctors, they came from various backgrounds (law, telecom, finance). They come from companies where the CEOs are getting $100,000 Glencoe Club corporate memberships rather than just $10,000 ones.

And just because we have public healthcare doesn't mean there aren't private options for these guys to go to, universities and health boards in other provinces (and more likely south of the border) etc.

But more importantly, you need to compete with the "simple" job of just being a doctor. Dr. Eagle could make north of $300K a year with his 'day job' of being an anesthesiologist and keeping a role as a professor or as the head of a hospital. So if you're going to try to pry him away from that to give him even more work to do and oversee more hospitals (and be under constant media scrutiny) you need to sweeten the pot.

I'm all for paying someone what they are worth. What bothers me more is the lack of accountability in our system.
    Not just at the top, but all the way down. If a nurse screws up, then what recourse to people have? Or a doctor?

Our system is 'free' (ie universal) but does that mean the end users have no rights or say in it? The problem isn't pay scales, it's, who holds these people accountable?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default Re: Re: Why are AHS heads allowed to rob Albertans and not get fired?

Originally posted by kertejud2

A bit of both.
    Yep. For instance:

Instead, Eagle’s $617.35 claim for travel associated with attending Alison Redford’s premier’s dinner in 2011 in Calgary
    That is $1 per travel kilometer if Eagle drove, which is a pretty standard mileage per diem. If he flew? He probably cabbed it to the airport ($50+), flew both ways ($300+), cabbed to the dinner ($50+), cabbed back to the airport ($50+) and then cabbed home/to work ($50+) once back in Edmonton (assuming that is where he is located).

I just hit $500 without trying. Add in any food during that time or incidentals, boom, $600.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

What you need to do is......

write a manifesto to the Herald and then plan your avenue of attack.

My Ride
    G6

That $190K is about $24k per executive. Depending on how many days of the year you're on the road, this could be entirely realistic. I spend about $1K/week when I travel for business, and I'm a peon.

My Ride
    W204

I think what they need to do is hire richer journalists... To me, the article just sounded like it came from a whiny/jealous individual who obviously will never earn what Dr. Eagle does and even appreciates what goes with hiring and retaining executives. Most of that shit isn't even worth mentioning.. $480k in bonuses split between 13 people?!? That's what, $36k/exec? In Calgary, that's an incredibly shitty executive bonus. 8 executives billed $190k? That's $24k/exec. in expenses? That is absolutely laughable. Anyone who complains about expenses are blue collar workers getting paid their minimum wage and have no idea how everything works in the real world when it comes to expense claims.

HiTempguy1: My wife is flying to Edmonton tomorrow for the day. She booked a flight just yesterday and it's almost $600 in flight costs alone. So if anything your estimates are low.

It's exactly what kertejud2 mentions.. People, or more like journalists, make a fuss about absolutely nothing that matters. Obviously the journalist has nothing better to write about.
    Last edited by clem24; 02-26-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by clem24

HiTempguy1: My wife is flying to Edmonton tomorrow for the day. She booked a flight just yesterday and it's almost $600 in flight costs alone. So if anything your estimates are low.
    Oh yea, I was definitely doing BEST case scenario there.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Bitch about once in a while and move on.

There is nothing you can do about it. Single source = inefficiency.

But privatization will cost more because of profit margins.