Quantcast
looking for a job. network technician - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: looking for a job. network technician

Default looking for a job. network technician

im finishing the fast track program in 6 weeks from sait, I had the interview with cannon today for service technician., they specialize in printers, fax machines and setting them up for other businesses, and fix them if they're broken.

In the NT program we learned about CCNA, Linux, Microsoft, I don't remember learning about the technical stuff of printers, we never took them apart or looked at cartridges.

just wondering will I get trained by them? It is a job and not a practicum, so would does that mean there will be no training or assistance from others?
    Last edited by Ali20; 02-27-2013 at 07:18 PM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

In for this.

See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Re: looking for a job. network technician

Originally posted by Ali20
    im finishing the fast track program in 6 weeks from sait, I had the interview with cannon today for service technician., they specialize in printers, fax machines and setting them up for other businesses, and fix them if they're broken.

In the NT program we learned about CCNA, Linux, Microsoft, I don't remember learning about the technical stuff of printers, we never took them apart or looked at cartridges.

just wondering will I get trained by them? It is a job and not a practicum, so would does that mean there will be no training or assistance from others?
    Are you sure you're talking about the right program? I also took the same program at SAIT and 4 of the 6 weeks were specific to printers. We even built a dot matrix printer from spare parts. What I learned about printers and fax machines was vital in both getting my first job and my promotion 6 months after I started. I am now the north western Canadian director of network services for my company. You shouldn't be getting training because you would've gotten that at SAIT. If you ask, you'll look like a fool or worse, get fired for being incompetent. In fact, I just fired a handful of newly graduates because they were asking too many questions they should have already known and slowing down company production. Everyone knows in the corporate world printers are hooked up to the network. Nobody connects it directly to the computer anymore, otherwise we'd have to get one printer for every desktop or laptop.

I'd go talk to your program director about this at SAIT. If they don't correct this error, I'd sue them cause you're getting ripped off of some very important education.

I think they have replaced it, because we didn't learn much about printers, let alone a topic on that for 4-6 weeks long.

Was yours the certificate program?

Default Re: Re: looking for a job. network technician

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Are you sure you're talking about the right program? I also took the same program at SAIT and 4 of the 6 weeks were specific to printers. We even built a dot matrix printer from spare parts. What I learned about printers and fax machines was vital in both getting my first job and my promotion 6 months after I started. I am now the north western Canadian director of network services for my company. You shouldn't be getting training because you would've gotten that at SAIT. If you ask, you'll look like a fool or worse, get fired for being incompetent. In fact, I just fired a handful of newly graduates because they were asking too many questions they should have already known and slowing down company production. Everyone knows in the corporate world printers are hooked up to the network. Nobody connects it directly to the computer anymore, otherwise we'd have to get one printer for every desktop or laptop.

I'd go talk to your program director about this at SAIT. If they don't correct this error, I'd sue them cause you're getting ripped off of some very important education.
    No words...

Just a genuine smirk and slow clap.

This course? Link
    Will fuck off, again.

Last edited by Cos; 12-30-2016 at 02:54 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

If you're looking at Canon, you should probably get PDI+. That will help you understand the basics of how printers work. Taking them apart is another story to diagnose and fix.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by Ali20
    I think they have replaced it, because we didn't learn much about printers, let alone a topic on that for 4-6 weeks long.

Was yours the certificate program?
    Yeah man, it was definitely a certificate program. No way I was going to go through it and not get credit. I find it odd that they took out so much information about printers since it uses all the fundamentals of networking and computing.

Did you at least cover the basics of printers? Hell, I still even use my acronyms for ink cartridge order regularly: Bring Me Yogurt With Coffee (black/magenta/yellow/white/cyan). Or if your printer uses Dark and Light cyan: Bring Me Yogurt With Dairy Latte.

Default Re: Re: looking for a job. network technician

Yeah man, it was definitely a certificate program. No way I was going to go through it and not get credit. I find it odd that they took out so much information about printers since it uses all the fundamentals of networking and computing.

Did you at least cover the basics of printers? Hell, I still even use my acronyms for ink cartridge order regularly: Bring Me Yogurt With Coffee (black/magenta/yellow/white/cyan). Or if your printer uses Dark and Light cyan: Bring Me Yogurt With Dairy Latte.

Congratulations on the interview with such a large and prestigious company.

Whatever you do don't say "i dont know how to do that" when they tell you to replace a printer cartridge. The last thing you want is to have them think you don't know what you are doing and terminate your employment within the 3 month probationary period. Especially not when they tell you to replace a toner cartridge cuz those big printers that have toners only go to other very large and prestigious companies and you don't want to look like a noob. It'll definitely get you "in" with the guys that are more senior like pointed out above

once again, congrats. Canon is a very awesome company

Last edited by EK69; 02-27-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

I am sure Cannon will give you a shot
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Make sure your $1000 minivan has a good battery - canon might ask you to replace that too.

Originally posted by speedog
    This course? Link
    yap.

My Ride
    Busa

My Ride
    Exploded.

He engrained this acronym in my head many times working as his apprentice.

Before him, I merely handled continuous paper but D'z Nutz trusted me with more tasks as I showed my willingness to learn.

It was arduous but he's a good mentor.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

I'm sure canon will do some training. At xerox they hired tech's without a technical background and learned it all in training.
    For this type of job you would need good mechanic skills and good people skills.

Originally posted by 4doorj
    I'm sure canon will do some training. At xerox they hired tech's without a technical background and learned it all in training.
    For this type of job you would need good mechanic skills and good people skills.
    I will have to go for the 2nd interview once they call me back, they mentioned that the manager will ask me technical questions than.

Do you have an idea on what I should expect them to ask?

Because I've done networking, and if they ask something along the lines of "how do cartridges work" than that would be difficult to answer since we didn't learn about the specs of cartridges in the program.

Thanks.

My Ride

You don't really need to know how cartridges work, your just sticking them in if you need a new one. That's something that the customer does anyways.

Things you should know.... hmmmmmmm....

I know it sounds very basic,
    -able to read basic diagrams
    -using a volt meter
    -problem solving skills
    -mechanical skills (do you work on cars at all?)
    - very important, people skills. Half the job is making sure your customer is happy

-how to install printer drivers and networking them (but sometimes they have network guys to do this, you might have to do very little of this)

Thanks, that's great advice.

I don't know how to use a volt meter but will surely read up on it if called back for the 2nd interview.

Mechnical skills for a car? this is a copier/fax kind of job though, I'm bad with cars, don't even know how to change the oil yet even though I drive a car of my own.

Hopefully they don't ask the tough questions that I didn't even learn about.

My Ride

Well reason I ask it just because working on cars helps you with your mechanical skills which you will need working on printers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast