Quantcast
Future subaru owner - how to prevent voiding warranty - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Future subaru owner - how to prevent voiding warranty

Default Future subaru owner - how to prevent voiding warranty

Hi,
    I am new to this forum.
    I am looking at buying a new 2013 subaru outback at one of the two dealerships in Calgary. I went to Centaur Subaru and spoke to a sales rep. During our conversation I asked him what a basic maintenance cost would be (he called it Type A which is basically your oil and oil filter change) and he said it's about $100.
    I have never owned a subaru before but I thought that was expensive. I currently own a Honda accord and a mazdaspeed 6 and basic maintenance at the dealership is just under $50 for each vehicle.

So I am thinking that as soon as my brand new outback needs servicing, I would take it to a local mechanic (I know one where I sometimes take m cars). For those Calgary folks, you may know the place, it's JD Auto in the NE near Subaru Calgary is located.

Would anybody know if that would void warranty on my brand new outback?

I've been reading other posts/threads about how good or bad both subaru dealers are in Calgary and I am not too keen on taking my car there for servicing (both from a cost and service perspective).

Thank you.

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

Follow the maintanence schedule in your owners manual. Have the shop that will service your car - stamp or sign the book.

All that's required to insure warranty is proof that you are following the proper maintanence schedule recommended by the manufacturer
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 03-04-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Keep all the receipts for the maintenance you have done on the car. As long as you have proof the work was done on time you're good.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

What happens is you don't drive that much, can you extend the service schedule? Ie I bought a new Forester in Aug/12.. just cracked 1000kms but it's time for the first oil change ( 6months).. Should i get the oil changed, or can I wait ??

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by silvercivicsir
    What happens is you don't drive that much, can you extend the service schedule? Ie I bought a new Forester in Aug/12.. just cracked 1000kms but it's time for the first oil change ( 6months).. Should i get the oil changed, or can I wait ??
    Well if you follow the service interval, it is time or mileage whichever comes first, so if it is time already, then probably get it changed otherwise you would not be following the service interval anymore.

What you will find is that new Subaru's require 0W20 oil which only comes in full synthetic and a new style oil filter that is not readily available aftermarket yet. The last oil change my shop did on a 2013 imprezza was about $100 as well
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Had the oil changed at Don Docksteader Subaru Volvo in Vancouver for warrantys sake, cost $80 taxes in for the 0W-20 synthetic, filter and labor.

On a side note I do not recommend Don Docksteader Subaru Volvo if you are in the area.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a Subaru. The dealers here do not back up their vehicles and will look for any excuse not to honor your warranty. They won't even warranty their own poor workmanship. Buyer beware!

Macleod trail guys warranted a head gasket (cover half ), after time was up and under Kms. They didn't have to at all, but customer did all repair work there. It was an ok story.

Edit,
    As ry says above, they do try to get out though. Watch the commercials, and if you drive like that, warrantee void! Even if you put on crappy Subaru perf tech stuff. !!!!!
    ----------------------------------

Buddy of mine just bought a forester and asked them the same question (except he wants to change the oil himself).. They said as long as he keeps the receipts and uses Subaru OEM oil filters he's golden.
    dv/dt

Originally posted by boarderfatty
    What you will find is that new Subaru's require 0W20 oil which only comes in full synthetic and a new style oil filter that is not readily available aftermarket yet. The last oil change my shop did on a 2013 imprezza was about $100 as well
    hmmm... does that mean only a Subaru dealership would have those filters?

I just looked on Canadian tire and the oil quoted above is about $45 and the oil filter is about $16. I entered the car brand, year and model and it showed me the filter at $16.

Now what I am wondering is that if I am able to change the oil and filter myself, then I don't have any proof that it was done or even done properly and they might want to void my warranty, should there be an issue?

Any feedback from Calgary people who haven't done their servicing at a subaru dealership and whether they had issues with warranty or not?

THank you.

Default link to oil and filter

I thought I'd post the links to the Canadian Tire Oil and Oil filter that I found. ANybody knows if these are actually acceptable for a 2013 subaru outback?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/Winter-Driving/SyntheticOil/PRD~0289437P/Mobil+1+Advanced+Fuel+Economy+0W-20+Synthetic+Motor+Oil.jsp?locale=en

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...38_ViewDetails

If you do make the mistake of buying a Subaru, get it serviced at Vex Performance. They are top notch imo!

Originally posted by RY213
    If you do make the mistake of buying a Subaru, get it serviced at Vex Performance. They are top notch imo!
    Hi Ry213

Just so i understand what you mean., you are saying recommending not to buy subaru because they often do not honor the warranty, right?
    However the cars themselves are fine?

My Ride
    Horse

^The cars are fine. The dealers in Calgary are not the greatest to put it lightly. I've heard good things about Rally Subaru though. If you do buy a Subaru, get it serviced somewhere else. I've heard good things about whatever shop Ravi runs on 32 Ave N.E.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Scott Subaru in Red Deer has a good rep.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by subout

Hi Ry213

Just so i understand what you mean., you are saying recommending not to buy subaru because they often do not honor the warranty, right?
    However the cars themselves are fine?
    The cars are okay but IMO pretty cheaply build vs say Honda or Toyota.

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Originally posted by heavyD

The cars are okay but IMO pretty cheaply build vs say Honda or Toyota.
    ^He's just a hater.

I own a honda a subaru and a toyota.

Interior fit and finish is best on the Subaru long term and as for the engine 250k with only regular maintenance. That includes towing a trailer several times a year to go camping. Nothing cheaply built about it - even after 8 years.

Some don't like them but I have had nothing but good service from All Makes. Just tell them to do the xxxx kilometer warranty service and they do the same job as the dealership for way less.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by alloroc

^He's just a hater.

Interior fit and finish is best on the Subaru long term and as for the engine 250k with only regular maintenance. That includes towing a trailer several times a year to go camping. Nothing cheaply built about it - even after 8 years.

Some don't like them but I have had nothing but good service from All Makes. Just tell them to do the xxxx kilometer warranty service and they do the same job as the dealership for way less.
    Hater? I'm an owner. I'm just not a fanboy and tell it like it is and I've owned nearly all the brands over the years.

Originally posted by alloroc

^He's just a hater.

Hey off topic but any link/pics of your AE92GZE?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast