Quantcast
2008 Jeep Patriot - need advice about noise in engine / good shop in Calgary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 2008 Jeep Patriot - need advice about noise in engine / good shop in Calgary

My Ride
    08 Jeep Patriot

Exclamation 2008 Jeep Patriot - need advice about noise in engine / good shop in Calgary

Hi all!

First problem with my 101K+ 2008 Jeep Patriot, manual transmission... I'll start by mentioning I'm a noob in cars mechanical

So, on Friday, I had that unusual noise...would compare it to a rasping...not very noticeable. It was happening only when I was releasing the gas pedal. The higher rpm were, the more frequent the noise was. Say every 2 seconds at 1500rpm - and probably every half second at 3000rpm. Went back home and forgot about it. This morning, started the car, and yes, the noise is still here. I drove about 10km, and then, a new noise happened... sounded deeper than the other one, I would call it a "clac" kinda noise. Like if someone was gently hitting the engine with a stick...hard to define that noise... So basically, for the next 20km, I had both noises when I was releasing the gas pedal.

So - have you guys any idea of what the hell this could be? I'm looking for either (or both) a great advise, and/or the address of a shop you would recommend in Calgary/Airdrie. I used to go to my dealership as long as my car was under warranty - but it's not any more. So do you guys have a shop to recommend, somewhere between Memorial Tr and Airdrie? I'd like to go today...

Thanks in advance for your input - will try to answer the best to any questions you might have!

My Ride
    Blue boy

Try Minute Muffler & Brake on 32nd Ave NE just east of the deerfoot

My Ride
    08 Jeep Patriot

Thanks G-ZUS.

I just went to do some checks: open up the hood and start the engine, use the gas pedal while on my parking stall - noise won't come up. Then drove my car for a few blocks, to try to tape these two sounds - well, no noise again. I'm puzzled now... Guess I'll just drive back home tonight and see how it goes, then drive the wife's car for the rest of the week, and go around with mine over the weekend to try to monitor that...weird...

My Ride
    08 Jeep Patriot

Actually, on my way back home yesterday, and again this morning, the clicking noise was not present - only the initial noise.
    Here's a video I did of the issue...you can hear the noise when rpms reduce.

Possible U joint on drive shaft

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

^ That would be my guess too. It sure sounds like it is making one sound per revolution of the driveshaft.

My Ride
    08 Jeep Patriot

Thanks guys...although I had to google it to try to understand what the hell you were talking about It doesn't sound like something I can fix by myself easily - am I correct? But more important - is that something I should immediately take care of? What kind of shop should I go to now I was able to bring a video that tells more about the problem (Minute Muffler & Brake as G-ZUS mentioned?)...in other words...what would you do?
    Thanks

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Just go to a standard garage. I personally like "Our Mechanic" just off of Edmonton Trail. Honest guys, fair prices.

It isn't a hard fix if that's what the issue is, but if you're not mechanically inclined I would just get it done. I would also get it done sooner than later, for two reasons:
    1) The vibrations will eventually damage other components like transmissions, etc.
    2) Should it fail completely, your driveshaft will end up flailing around and smashing into things. Not good.

With this said, your vehicle is perfectly safe to drive until you get it done.

My Ride
    08 Jeep Patriot

Thank you Kloubek - I actually went to a local shop in Airdrie after getting good reviews about it. They just called me back - no issue with the driveshaft, the issue was actually with one of my front tires, that wasn't tighten up properly. So, I guess next step is to go to Chrysler and ask them what they are willing to do with that as the tire rotation they did wasn't done properly as I could have ended up with losing a tire on the highway.