Quantcast
Waiting list for Calgary Transit reserved parking - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Waiting list for Calgary Transit reserved parking

Default Waiting list for Calgary Transit reserved parking

I am interested in getting a reserved parking at the Dalhousie station. Anyone have any idea how long the waiting list is? Currently Calgary Transit only allows people to sign up 1 month ahead. Will I get a reserved parking for sure in 1 month or should I sign up multiple months in advance?

And if I sign up multiple months in advance, what happens if the parking becomes available earlier than I need. Can I remain in the queue for the next month?

Thanks a lot ppl!!

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

You will get an e-mail confirmation after you make your reservation which will let you know your place in queue. If the waiting list for Dalhousie is anything like Crowfoot, you are probably going to be on the waiting list for months. I believe there are over 1000 people on the waiting list there, which is puzzling because the reserved lot always seems to be half-empty before 10:00 am.

You are certainly not obligated to accept the parking spot if it becomes available too early for you. If you don't accept it, I'm not sure if you get put back into the queue and retain your position, or if you have to re-book the reservation at which point you will be at the back of the queue again. I suspect it's the latter though.

You will have better luck at Brentwood and should be able to get a spot after a month or so, if things haven't changed over the past few months.

My Ride
    WK2

http://app.calgarytransit.com/parkandride/

Looks like you'd be able to get a reserved at Brentwood immediately.

You could get a reserved at Brentwood, and place your name on Dalhousie wait list.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
    You will get an e-mail confirmation after you make your reservation which will let you know your place in queue. If the waiting list for Dalhousie is anything like Crowfoot, you are probably going to be on the waiting list for months. I believe there are over 1000 people on the waiting list there, which is puzzling because the reserved lot always seems to be half-empty before 10:00 am.
    Yeah, it makes no sense unless there are people who pay who never use it
    Main portion fills up by about 730-8 and the other side of the parking lot never gets more than half full.

My Ride
    '98 Camry

Always spots at Brentwood.

I don't know why but they keep expanding the reserve area but I don't think it's being completely used. I assume they are slowly trying to push out the free spots and make it all pay.... sneaky bastards.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

same thing at the new station in the SW by Westside Rec. The wait list has over 500 people and there are no cars in the reserved spots in the mornings.

My Ride
    Bicycle

IMO reservation should be valid til 8am and not 10am. The you will probably see the spots fills up better.

And It should be demand based. Cost should raise every month by $5 until waiting list is clear. Reverse for lots that have empties, drop $5 til space is filled.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-08-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    IMO reservation should be valid til 8am and not 10am. The you will probably see the spots fills up better.

And It should be demand based. Cost should raise every motnth by $5 until waiting list is clear. Reverse for lots that have empties, drop $5 il space is filled.

For part A - That's an awful idea. What if your job starts slightly later than most (ie: 10am) - are you just SOL then regardless of if you pay for a reserved spot or not?

For Part B - simply because I was proactive enough to get on the waiting list early doesn't mean I should be penalized because someone is willing to pay more than I am.....

My Ride
    TDi

Is reserved parking even worth it? I'm changing jobs and wouldn't mind training instead of bus.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Yes, imo reserved parking is worth it. I park at the 69th lrt parkade and the covered section is full by 6am for thr free spots, i dont know about the roof but i do prefer to not have to scrape snow and ice off my car or risk hail in the summer. This means i am at my desk before 6:30am.

I am on the reserved wait list, i started at 318 middle of January after getting sick & tired of playing the parking wars in the morning and i am up to #267. At this rate i will have a spot by Christmas.

Originally posted by nickyh
    Yes, imo reserved parking is worth it. I park at the 69th lrt parkade and the covered section is full by 6am for thr free spots, i dont know about the roof but i do prefer to not have to scrape snow and ice off my car or risk hail in the summer. This means i am at my desk before 6:30am.

I am on the reserved wait list, i started at 318 middle of January after getting sick & tired of playing the parking wars in the morning and i am up to #267. At this rate i will have a spot by Christmas.
    Roof is generally full before 6:30am. A couple of times it's been full by 6:15am.

The reserved parking system is broken. I started the list in the 90's and got pushed down into the 100's.

In January, Calgary Transit magically released 90 additional spots but they were offered to the first 90 people to reply to an email instead of the next 90 people on the wait list.

The entire LRT parking system has been poorly planned from the start when pay stations were installed, only to be removed before they even paid out.

It's no wonder Calgary transit operates on a loss every year.

This is a shot of the reserved parking section of 69th street station at 10am:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by 403ep3
    Is reserved parking even worth it? I'm changing jobs and wouldn't mind training instead of bus.
    Yes as you are always guaranteed a spot so you don't avhe to worry about driving further down crowchild to find a spot. I used to have to go Crowfoot, Dalhousie, Brentwood to get a spot, big waste of time and brentwood is the sketchiest nw station

Now I just get to crowfoot whenever I feel like and have a spot. If I go early I can park right next to the bridge to cross to the station.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    It's no wonder Calgary transit operates on a loss every year.
    CT is funded at almost a 50/50 split through fares and city funding, there is no public transit system in NA that operates at a profit.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Roof is generally full before 6:30am. A couple of times it's been full by 6:15am.

The entire LRT parking system has been poorly planned from the start when pay stations were installed, only to be removed before they even paid out.

What a joke this parkade, but what other choice do we have? Taking the bus is a 20-25min ride on the shuttle bus and is always packed in the morning and then the afternoon its jammed with kids.

I just love how the map on the website says one thing but the signs in the parkade are something different (the ramp on level sows at free but the signs say different).
    http://www.calgarytransit.com/pdf/re...on_parkade.pdf

Originally posted by FraserB

CT is funded at almost a 50/50 split through fares and city funding, there is no public transit system in NA that operates at a profit.
    Point taken, but you can't argue that CT finances would be in a better position if they made better decisions.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Point taken, but you can't argue that CT finances would be in a better position if they made better decisions.
    It's public transit. Unless you have population density or Asian cities or New York, tax payer will always have to fund portions of it.

Originally posted by liquid1010

For part A - That's an awful idea. What if your job starts slightly later than most (ie: 10am) - are you just SOL then regardless of if you pay for a reserved spot or not?

For Part B - simply because I was proactive enough to get on the waiting list early doesn't mean I should be penalized because someone is willing to pay more than I am.....
    A) We are in the west. The people who starts work later than 10am is the minority. May be reserve til 8:30 for people who starts at 9am. But that's as late as we need to be. Saving space for niche user contradict idea of a public system (So is paying for reservation in a sense but I'm all for ways for CT to generate more revenue on its own).

B) No. This is simply supply and demand. You don't like the extra $5? Reserve and drive to the next lot. Each lot you drive down the line, you save $5. So we won't have the issue of extreme waiting lists at some and nobody using parking in others.

And this helps you too on the waiting list because demand will die off and you get to the front of the list quicker.

doesn't mean I should be penalized because someone is willing to pay more than I am
    And you don't see the irony in that statement? As someone who is willing to pay to have a spot in a parking lot for public transit?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-15-2013 at 11:24 AM.

My Ride
    M3

The city should have kept the pay to park thing...

Based on observed usage of the reserved spots, I'm surprised Calgary Transit doesn't adopt a strategy from the airlines and just oversell the reserved spots.

Usage of the reserved spots will go up and those that don't reserve will be happier that they aren't going to waste. Since it seems that a lot of the spots go unused, it appears nobody will be negatively affected.
    ---

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

We just got the email for a spot at the Westside station. Only problem is, we don't really need it until October as my wife is happy to walk to the station in the summer.

Are there any rules against sub-leasing out the spot? I might just offer it for $50/month until October and eat the $20 difference just to hold onto it.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Pacman
    We just got the email for a spot at the Westside station. Only problem is, we don't really need it until October as my wife is happy to walk to the station in the summer.

Are there any rules against sub-leasing out the spot? I might just offer it for $50/month until October and eat the $20 difference just to hold onto it.
    It should be fine as you can put up to like 5 license plates so they would never know as you can enter whatever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast