Seizing cell phones from distracted drivers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Seizing cell phones from distracted drivers

My Ride
    something green

Default B.C. over the top

The tyranny of safety...

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/03/09...-seizure-pitch

Alberta’s top cop is watching with interest following a pitch by police in B.C. to seize cell phones from distracted drivers in that province.

On Thursday, the B.C. Chiefs of Police Association passed a motion asking the government to expand their powers under the province’s distracted driving law to allow them to temporarily seize the cell phones of drivers caught talking or texting behind the wheel.

Under the proposal, which has been referred to a meeting in June, cops would take away phones roadside, which can be picked up at the police station 24 hours later.

The association is also considering asking to increase the current $167 penalty.

While Alberta’s Solicitor General Jonathan Denis wants to see results before taking action in this province, he said he is “watching with interest.”

“I would have to look at the constitutional implications and also whether it has had the desired effect of reducing distracted driving in other jurisdictions,” he said.

Calgary police chief Rick Hanson, who is also past president of the Alberta Association of Chiefs of Police (AACP), has pushed to add demerits to distracted drivers’ fines.

“I know distracted driving remains a significant safety issue in virtually every province and police services everywhere are looking for solutions,” Hanson said on Saturday.

“We have forwarded our (AACP) resolutions to the provincial government.

“The real answer is for common sense to prevail with drivers who still persist in texting while they drive and thereby create a significant risk to others on the road.”

The Calgary Police Association is also taking a wait and see approach, said president Howard Burns.

“The CPA recognizes that distracted driving is a serious problem that can have life-ending or life-altering consequences,” he said.

“Generally we would be supportive of initiatives that discourage distracted driving, as it is our members that get to deal with the carnage when things go wrong.”

He said anything beyond fines and demerits would require “significant thought and discussion.”

“If B.C.’s initiative actually reduces distracted driving, it may be worth considering for those who flagrantly disregard Alberta driving laws,” he said.

As for the police request to add demerits, Denis said he wants to wait to see how the current law is working.

“We will look at it at the end of the year and see if it’s necessary,” he said.

[email protected]
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

With the number of existing seriously bad oriental FOB drivers in Vancouver/Lower Mainland - and now add texting to their list of accolades - I would actually support this - in the lower mainland region. Many think they are above the law and having their toy pulled would get their attention.

I dont see NEAR the problems with distracted driving here in Calgary.

Next on the agenda: "time-outs" and "go sit in the corner" for bad drivers.

My phone is my business...my safety device for emergencies...my contact with my special needs son.. A cop tries to take my phone away and I'd say, put me in jail before I give you my phone.
    Fucking ridiculous idea.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Give them one of these.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Just carry an old phone that isn't active, hand that over.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    Next on the agenda: "time-outs" and "go sit in the corner" for bad drivers.

My phone is my business...my safety device for emergencies...my contact with my special needs son.. A cop tries to take my phone away and I'd say, put me in jail before I give you my phone.
    Fucking ridiculous idea.
    Agreed.

Cops should be enforcing the law, not trying to make it.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    A cop tries to take my phone away and I'd say, put me in jail before I give you my phone.
    Fucking ridiculous idea.
    A large portion of the population would support cops throwing you in jail for not handing over your personal property.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 03-10-2013 at 12:55 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Sounds like a good idea to me.

If you don't want your phone taken away, don't use it while you're driving. Seems pretty simple.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by DeleriousZ
    Sounds like a good idea to me.

If you don't want your phone taken away, don't use it while you're driving. Seems pretty simple.
    I should make a law, any car 'more powerful' than 100hp gets seized.

Then can I say to you, don't drive a car 'more powerful' than 100hp if you don't want your car seized.
    Same 'logic' right?

You're saying, obey the law because it's the law. Hand over your property because it says here that I'm allowed to seize it.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 03-10-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Modelexis

I should make a law, any car faster than 100hp gets seized.

Then can I say to you, don't drive a car faster than 100hp if you don't want your car seized.
    Same 'logic' right?
    Go nuts. Horsepower is not a way to measure speed.

My Ride
    Trucks

I should make a law, any car faster than 100hp gets seized.

Then can I say to you, don't drive a car faster than 100hp if you don't want your car seized.
    Same 'logic' right?
    How fast is a 100hp car? Is this a riddle?

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

I would seize it if I suspected it of being more powerful than 100hp

Then dyno test it and fine you.

My Ride
    AWOL

Originally posted by revelations
    I dont see NEAR the problems with distracted driving here in Calgary.
    Ride a motorcycle...

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I would seize it if I suspected it of being more powerful than 100hp

Then dyno test it and fine you.
    I guess you've never seen the teeny bopers trying to race car2go's

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

I should make a law, any car 'more powerful' than 100hp gets seized.

Then can I say to you, don't drive a car 'more powerful' than 100hp if you don't want your car seized.
    Same 'logic' right?

You're saying, obey the law because it's the law. Hand over your property because it says here that I'm allowed to seize it.
    I don't see the connection here. You're trying to say that having a powerful car is akin to talking on a cell phone while driving? Are you trying to argue that people that have more driving experience would have no problem driving a car with 100hp, and also someone who's experienced with talking on their phone while driving would also have no problem with it?

The way I see it is put down the goddamn phone, or pull over. Who are you to be so high and mighty as to endanger the people around you because you feel that you're good at talking on the phone and driving? (you being used as a general term, not directing at anyone)

people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    AWOL

Since the risk level is about the same as DUI, how about 24hr license suspensions? Quick and simple for the cop too.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Grogador

Ride a motorcycle...
    I do.

And coming from Vancouver, its NIGHT and DAY difference here from our idea of "bad" drivers to what happens in Vancouver.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Originally posted by revelations

I do.

And coming from Vancouver, its NIGHT and DAY difference here from our idea of "bad" drivers to what happens in Vancouver.
    I can second this, aside from the bike part. Calgary drivers are significantly less awful drivers than in Vancouver.

LOL Vancouver drivers are horrible.. They drive so god damn slow and do the most odd things in the world lol.. I am going crazy driving in Van...

But no I dont support this law.. A ticket is fine , no one has the right to my phone / business / personal life ect ect . If they want to make it "Harsh" throw a demerit on the ticket then . Aint no body going on my phone and stealing all the naked girl photos I have

Or are they making this law so they can grab drug dealers phones and see what they are up to?
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Even if they do seize it, they need a warrant to go through any contents that are password protected. Since the contents of the phone wouldn't be material to the charge, I can't see how they would support a request to search through the phone.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast