Quantcast
Can I loan money as a mortgage? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I loan money as a mortgage?

My Ride
    none

Default Can I loan money as a mortgage?

A friend of mine is having a hard time getting a mortgage. She actually has been renting from me for 2yrs and never missed a payment. So I know she is good for it.

Question is, can I lend her money to buy a condo? has anyone done that before? I'd use prime rate which is about 3%. there is no investment right now that will return 3%, so I figured why not? if it’s legally possible. anyone know?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Lending other people money is a baaaaaaad idea.

My Ride
    none

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    Lending other people money is a baaaaaaad idea.
    Agreed, but in this case, I would think that a lawyer would be involved with the same rules as a bank, miss too many payments, I foreclose, sell off and recover my investment. As apposed to lending a friend $1000 to go on vacation, you’ll never see that money again.
    Last edited by JudasJimmy; 03-11-2013 at 05:13 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

It's not lending, it's giving.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by JudasJimmy

Agreed, but in this case, I would think that a lawyer would be involved with he same rules as a bank, miss too many payments, I foreclose, sell off and recover my investment. As apposed to lending a friend $1000 to go on vacation, you’ll never see that money again.
    Yea if you want to go through all that, sure.
    I am user #49

It wont work that way.. Gifts need to be from a direct relative with a signed gift letter showing that it does NOT need to be paid back.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    none

Originally posted by JAYMEZ
    It wont work that way.. Gifts need to be from a direct relative with a signed gift letter showing that it does NOT need to be paid back.
    I'm going to lend her the entire purchase amount. There will be no bank involved. I will be doing the financing, from my own bank account. Cash on hand

Oh your going to be buying it for her completely ? No bank mortgage involved? Why does she not try to go to a B lender and not a normal bank. I would not advise giving anyone money for a house . Does she have poor credit?
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    NC1

Have her keep renting. Give her cheaper rent?

Buying her a house, WTF are you crazy? Are you hitting it too?
    I am user #49

The safest way to set this up would be a rent to own senario. You purchase the property under your name and collect a monthly rent/mortgage payment from her. She then builds equity in the home with part of the payment as interest.

This way you own the property until she has enough equity built up that she can qualify on her own and that point sell/transfer the ownership to her. If she starts missing payments you still have control.

Google how to set this up. Lots of information out there. Here is a basic guide but you can find much better links:

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-a-Rent-to-Own-Contract
    Last edited by roopi; 03-11-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Default Re: Can I loan money as a mortgage?

why are lenders not giving her a mortgage?
    bad credit history, low income?
    you can handle more risk than bank?

A friend of mine is having a hard time getting a mortgage. She actually has been renting from me for 2yrs and never missed a payment. So I know she is good for it.

Question is, can I lend her money to buy a condo? has anyone done that before? I'd use prime rate which is about 3%. there is no investment right now that will return 3%, so I figured why not? if it’s legally possible. anyone know?

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Is she buying it, or are you?

Your OP seems to suggest you'll lend/give/loan the money to her, so she can make the purchase. Most mortgage brokers and lenders will want a snapshot of her bank account going back X months, we had to show the past 3.

Any deposits higher than $2000 were flagged and we had to explain to the agent, to her satisfaction what those deposits were. Some sort of anti money laundering laws in Canada.

All of ours were either payroll transactions with our companies names, or a transfer from our savings account, so we had to show the past 3 months history on that so they could cross reference the transaction numbers.

If you are buying it, she could assume it easily enough at some point. However you would still be on the hook for the mortgage under the current mortgage laws, even after transferring title if she defaulted.

I would suggest your best option is setup a rent to own as previously mentioned. You keep the title in your name and if there's a problem, you can sell or find new renters and continue to profit from the investment. If she is able to take over the mortgage at some time when her circumstances have improved, you're free and clear to move on.

My Ride
    none

Default Re: Re: Can I loan money as a mortgage?

Originally posted by rob the knob
    why are lenders not giving her a mortgage?
    bad credit history, low income?
    you can handle more risk than bank?

She doesn't make enough to qualify for a $280k mortgage (2 bed). Even though she has 20% (or is able to get) down payment. The banks are totally stupid. They are giving up an easy 3% investment. SO why not if I take it? Renting doesn't return me an easy 3% with no obligation.

She does qualify for a $215,000 mortgage, which is a 1 bed condo, she then looses the "roommate" potential income.
    I know she can make $1300 payments, she has been doing that for 2 yrs with no problem.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

co-sign, or rent to own... seems pretty straight forward

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Default Re: Re: Re: Can I loan money as a mortgage?

She doesn't make enough to qualify for a $280k mortgage (2 bed). Even though she has 20% (or is able to get) down payment. The banks are totally stupid. They are giving up an easy 3% investment. SO why not if I take it? Renting doesn't return me an easy 3% with no obligation.

She does qualify for a $215,000 mortgage, which is a 1 bed condo, she then looses the "roommate" potential income.
    I know she can make $1300 payments, she has been doing that for 2 yrs with no problem.
    Banks aren't stupid, there's a reason they won't lend to her.

But anyways, don't.

My Ride
    335i

Yes, you can lend her money and secure it on title with a private mortgage. It happens all the time and as long as you are aware that your only remedy is recovering the property itself (unless your loan is insured), you'll be fine.

I'd certainly look at a higher interest rate though. Lending at around prime should be reserved for those with better qualifications.

That said, if you don't know how this process works, it's not for you. Foreclosing on a property is a very expensive and lengthy procedure. If you can't make 3% on a $280k investment, you are too far out to lunch to try making money this way.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Exploded.

YOU buy the house; she rents through you; bang for +1.

win-win.

I wish I had friends as nice as you.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

I'd agreed with either the rent to own scenario or write up some sort of contract where if she doesn't miss any payments for 5 years (or whatever length you want) then she can buy it from you at purchase price less all the payments she has made towards the principal.

Very nice of you to consider buying for her, but I would personally take more precautions regardless of who it is at 280K is a fair amount of money...

My Ride
    2015 bmw x5 2011 bmw 328i wagon 1990 bmw 325ic

CMHC has a non-traditonal down payment product.

Down Payment Requirements — Traditional sources of down payment include: Applicant's savings, RRSP withdrawal, funds borrowed against proven assets, sweat equity (<50% of min.required equity), land unencumbered, proceeds from sale of another property, non-repayable gift from immediate relative, equity grant (non-repayable grant from federal, provincial or municipal agency).

Non-traditional sources of down payment include: Any source that is arm's length to and not tied to the purchase or sale of the property, such as borrowed funds, gifts, 100% sweat equity, lender cash back incentives.

Note the Borrowed funds...
    If you want to lend her the money or give her the down payment you are more then welcome too - As long as she falls within TDS/GDS Guidelines it is possible to gift/giver as little as 5%...

I know this is not the scenario you are choosing BUT it is still an option for her.
    Last edited by el-nino; 03-11-2013 at 10:23 PM.

What a life.

This is the worst idea I have ever heard of. When she stops banging you OP, you will feel like a moron

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast