Quantcast
Iceland!? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Iceland!?

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Default Iceland!?

Anyone been? Recommendation for tours and spots other than Reykjavik? My brother and I are looking to go late summer.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I'd recommend staying at Kex Hostel. They have a lot of tour options available from there, or you'll find a lot of tour offices in town.

Of course, Blue Lagoon is a must. I'd highly recommend doing the Classic Circle Tour (available everywhere) and spend a day just exploring Reykjavik.

Depending on how long you have there, you can either make Reykjavik your hub and then just do day trips from there or if you have a lot of time, drive the ring around the entire country.

I got a few people together from the hostel and we rented a car and drove to the Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon stopping at all of the nice waterfalls on the way. Be forewarned, gas cost us more than the vehicle. It was a definitely worth it though.

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

i can't remember the name of the tour i did. But I did the loop around the country in about 10 days. I absolutely loved it, such a beautiful country with a landscape so diverse it blows your mind.

The waterfalls are epic. My favourite was one called Godafoss. I waded in about halfway up my thighs at the glacier lagoon that DavidI mentioned. Of course there is the blue lagoon spa. Oh and the women tall and slim and sexy as can be.

be forewarned everytime you take a shower its going to smell like rotten eggs because of the sulfur in the water.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

A recent travel/photo log has put Iceland very high up on my next adventure.

http://international-photographer.co...-gallery-2.htm
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by wintonyk
    Oh and the women tall and slim and sexy as can be.
    Damn! This is what I was expecting on my trip but generally I only saw big, butch, viking chicks. I must have been hanging out at the wrong bars & restaurants!

Oh, and you have to go to the Phallic museum in Reykjavik, it's good for a laugh.

There is also a free geothermal pool out by the Reykjavik airport (not the one you arrive at, the smaller domestic airport). We walked there from town. It's what the locals recommended to me and was worth the effort.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Make sure your credit cards are loaded up,whrn i was there in 2000 it was crazy expensive.(But worth it)
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by cancer man
    Make sure your credit cards are loaded up,whrn i was there in 2000 it was crazy expensive.(But worth it)
    They were hit hugely by the recession, but the prices are still definitely up there with New York / London / Tokyo.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Originally posted by wintonyk
    Of course there is the blue lagoon spa. Oh and the women tall and slim and sexy as can be.
    I was there for a month in 2011 and there was nothing of the sort. Drugs however are everywhere if you are into that thing...

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I really want to go that way one year, looks like an awesome time

My mothers side of the family is from there, I really should go sometime.

One of my favorite places to visit. Been there twice, pre and post "recession". The Icelanders are doing just fine. I'd recommend Room with a View as you can get suites with mini-kitchens. Making breakfast goes a long way when your average meal is between $25-$35 Canadian. Ensure to check out the night scene if that if your thing. They go hard there. Also, late night Waffle truck is the ultimate. All of the children are forced to take English and they speak it fluently. Ask me anything?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Do you remember the last time you went how much it was to rent a car and gas? Did you need a 4x4 to see a lot of things?

The link I posted above consists of 30 days of travelling which is too much I feel (and expensive) for such a place. How long have you gone for each time? What brought you back for a second trip to Iceland? Did you do day trips from Reykjavik or stay elsewhere? I'm having a hard time visualizing how much time it takes to get around.

Thanks!
    Ultracrepidarian

We wanted an excuse to go again so we did not rent a car last visit. Instead, we explored Reykjavik by foot and did circle tours. Forewarning, the streets within Reykjavik are very narrow and the Gasoline is expensive at around $2/liter. With that being said, next time we are going to go grab a car and drive around as long as the paved road continues. Public transit is excellent. No, you don't need a jacked up 4x4 to get around most places, I do not think they'll even fit on the roads within the City.

My first visit was 7 days when I was broke and in College. All of my buddies were going to tropical destinations so I decided to do something completely opposite. I didn't really get to do a lot of activities but the trip was still memorable enough that it warranted a second visit, with money. The second trip was 10 days long and was just enough time to explore most all of Reykjavik. I play a MMO called EvE Online and I just happened to be there during fanfest as well as fashion week so it worked out really well.

Just some general shit you'll get from people when you mention you are going to Iceland:
    Isn't is really cold there? No, not during March. It is very similar weather to Vancouver. A sweater with a wind breaker was my choice of attire for most the trip.
    Aren't they bankrupt? No. Reykjavik has gotten better since my 1st visit, way better. Office and condo towers going up, big corporate names moving up there, etc etc.
    What do they do for fun? Drink, eat, party. You'll have some amazing food and local beers. I highly recommend Kex for delicious to price ratio. Beer is a fairly new thing to the island and it shows in their night life.
    Tell me more about this night life? Most food places along the road Room with a view is on close around 8~ and turn into clubs. There are no closing hours so they'll go right until 5 or 6 AM. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FIND A LATE NIGHT CAFE AS THEY'VE TURNED INTO A CLUB. The girls there are something special too. They aren't a lot of visitors and they can spot outsiders pretty well. They'll approach you with no hesitation (it's part of their culture). Walking down the street at 2AM was interesting.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Appreciate the info, thanks!
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by Cos; 12-30-2016 at 02:17 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quite eager to do an Iceland trip next year.
    Ultracrepidarian

Bumping this thread. Looking to book Iceland in October. Flights are cheap, it's well past high season, and apparently weather is still reasonable. Fall colors and Northern lights should be nice too.

Rather than researching and booking 10+ individual accommodations, we were looking at self guided tour packages. This one seemed very reasonable, and the Tour.is company has 200+ perfect reviews on Trip Advisor:

http://www.tour.is/tour-package/icel...ghts_-_10_days

Does that seem like a good way to do it? Looks like ~200km of driving per day but I suspect it will be so nice I won't care. Our plan was the 10 day tour +2-3 extra days or so around Reykjavík.

Is food on the road hard to come by? Or does everyone just stock up at grocery stores along the way?

I assume there are gas stations all along the ring road? I'd hate to get caught out in the middle of nowhere, but I imagine the ring road is well traveled.

Just starting my research but the self guided tours where everything is taken care of (and includes breakfast) seems pretty attractive.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-27-2017 at 09:45 AM.

My Ride
    G

I'm not sure how it is in Oct but I know in their winter months the northern parts of the ring road are closed. 2-3 days in Reykjavik is plenty, most of the cool stuff you want to see in Reykjavik is honestly like a 5 minute walk from each other.

There are gas stations and small towns you can stop at too. If you wanna save some money eat the hot dogs there from the gas station. They're incredibly good with whatever that white sauce is they have.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Food and gas is easy to get. The drive out to the east is really nice but other than the scenery there isn't much to do or stop for out there. Most of the big attractions are on the south and west coasts.

I've done the West Fjords as well and that was by far my favourite driving. The fjords out there are stunning. However the roads aren't in super great conditions and getting out to Látrabjarg was pretty crazy. I don't think it'll be worth it in October as no puffins will be there. Cool regardless. I went end of the August/Early September and I think next time I'd go the first of August.

Some pics:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk4hQctM

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk6aTwiZ

The Golden Circle has perfect roads. Lots of bakeries and some really good snacks. And the hot dogs are so damn good - ate three in one sitting
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great photos, Matt! What's the deal with the lower torso that was on display?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast