Quantcast
Royal Roads University or University of Calgary? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Royal Roads University or University of Calgary?

Default If YOU had to choose..

Need some opinions again!

If YOU had to choose between a Bachelor of Arts in justice studies at RRU ( Royal Roads University - Victoria, BC ) or a Bachelor of Arts in law and society at our local UofC, which would you choose?
    Guess what? Kool-Aid's better bitch!

Did I mention that RRU pretty much looks like Hogwarts?

My Ride
    Horse

Originally posted by prettylude
    Did I mention that RRU pretty much looks like Hogwarts?
    Why would you even need to ask? lol
    RRU sounds like the place to be! haha
    I don't know anything about the programs but with U of C (wrapping up my first year), while I like the fact that I'm still at home and my friends are here, I often find myself wishing I went somewhere outside of Alberta.

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

I have seen the RRU campus, and hands down it is way nicer then U of C. In the woods, on the ocean. Also Xmen 2 and 3 where filmed there. And the castle on campus is supposedly haunted as well.

That being said, the only comparison that I can offer, is U of C vs Mount Royal, or University of Victoria vs. RRU.

If you hate the snow, and don't mind a little bit of rain, but having green all semester long I'd say go to RRU.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I don't think a castle will help you after you graduate.

Unless its really haunted lol.

I'd choose what is best for your future and not campus location.

My Ride
    Calgary Transit/Corolla

i am at mru because i couldnt afford to go to a school outside of the city.

for me it works out that the program i am in mru offers and is a good school for.

but for anyone i know who is older and has already graduated from a local school their biggest regret is not going away to school and living that life.

pus judging by your sig you might enjoy that "bc life"

go to an outside school!

Honestly, where you go to school has very little influence on how well you will do post-graduation.

I went to U of L, which is considered a crap school compared to U of C... all my friends who took the same thing as me at U of C are not doing anywhere near as well as I am.

Work hard, connect with people, build a resume out of field related summer jobs, and you will be fine.

Go with your gut, you know what you want to do, you are just here looking for validation.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    DC2

Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
    Honestly, where you go to school has very little influence on how well you will do post-graduation.

I went to U of L, which is considered a crap school compared to U of C... all my friends who took the same thing as me at U of C are not doing anywhere near as well as I am.

Work hard, connect with people, build a resume out of field related summer jobs, and you will be fine.

Go with your gut, you know what you want to do, you are just here looking for validation.
    Agreed.

My Ride
    IS350

Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC

This. UofL here too. Put the work in and take your lumps and you'll come out further ahead than a lot of people who were banking on their schools' status.

My Ride
    CBR 929

It is my impression that RRU has smaller class sizes than U of C?

[url]

Cost would be the only thing stopping me from attending Royal Roads. If you can afford it- do it. I moved out here to Vic to attend UVic and it's been great living away for a few years, doing my own thing apart from typical friends and family in Calgary. When you go to a different place to study it feels like you're carving your own path rather than taking the easiest, simplest, lamest route. You'll get to know new people and establish a second home city. Best of luck with the choice!

Wow, didn't expect this many replies, thanks everyone!!!

Originally posted by triplep
    I have seen the RRU campus, and hands down it is way nicer then U of C. In the woods, on the ocean. Also Xmen 2 and 3 where filmed there. And the castle on campus is supposedly haunted as well.

That being said, the only comparison that I can offer, is U of C vs Mount Royal, or University of Victoria vs. RRU.

If you hate the snow, and don't mind a little bit of rain, but having green all semester long I'd say go to RRU.
    MRU & UofV aren't in my post diploma transfer options. BC is my first home and I've always wanted the chance to move back. Id take years of rain over a day of.snow in a heartbeart lol

Originally posted by flipstah

I don't think a castle will help me after I graduate either, but it is super awesome when you're a Harry Potter nerd. I'm kinda hoping its haunted I think justice studies at RRU would be best.

Originally posted by urrforce
    i am at mru because i couldnt afford to go to a school outside of the city.

for me it works out that the program i am in mru offers and is a good school for.

but for anyone i know who is older and has already graduated from a local school their biggest regret is not going away to school and living that life.

pus judging by your sig you might enjoy that "bc life"

go to an outside school!
    good to know and ya id definitely enjoy that bc life

Originally posted by bignerd
    It is my impression that RRU has smaller class sizes than U of C?
    I have no idea :S

Originally posted by rinny
    Cost would be the only thing stopping me from attending Royal Roads. If you can afford it- do it. I moved out here to Vic to attend UVic and it's been great living away for a few years, doing my own thing apart from typical friends and family in Calgary. When you go to a different place to study it feels like you're carving your own path rather than taking the easiest, simplest, lamest route. You'll get to know new people and establish a second home city. Best of luck with the choice!
    Fortunately all of my schooling is fully taken care of for the next four years. I guess I knew my choice all along and needed some validation for sure! RRU it is, thanks again everyone, your opinions and advice are amazing!

Originally posted by flipstah

+1

Also if you stay in calgary, you save $$$. You can always go live in Vancouver once you start your career.

Originally posted by veyron

+1

Also if you stay in calgary, you save $$$. You can always go live in Vancouver once you start your career.
    True, either way I have + 2 years to figure it out.

Another option is the Criminal Justice program at MRU.

http://www.mtroyal.ca/ProgramsCourse...iminalJustice/

MRU isn't in my post diploma transfer options. I'm pretty set on RRU but still considering UofC