Quantcast
Composite Decking Advice? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Composite Decking Advice?

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Default Composite Decking Advice?

Our house as a 12'x12' attached deck on the main floor (it has a walkout so the deck is ~10 feet in the air) and the deck boards are all badly cracked, twisted and big chunks and slivers are coming off. This has caused some small injuries for the kids and so we were looking to replace the decking this year. Given that our primary concern was slivers and that there will be kids running around on it (probably in their socks despite our warnings...) the idea of having boards that can't splinter and produce slivers sounds really nice. I don't want to go with a vinyl surface because we do have patio chairs and a bbq and other things that will probably tear or damage it. All of the structure for the deck is in good shape and is very solid with the exception of the railing, which we will also be replacing this year with an aluminum railing to match other parts of the house. We are planning to stay in this house for the next 6-10 years and I'd prefer not to be replacing the boards again.

The problem I have is that composite decking seems to be strangely expensive. Where is the cheapest place to get composite boards that are of a decent quality? Is $4-5/linear foot the cheapest you can get them for in this qualitity (~312 lnear feet)? Maybe I am expecting too much but I see lots of wholesalers and similar places in the US selling the boards for between $1.80 and $2.50 per linear foot, is there anybody up here that is even close to that price?
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

Try Lumber King. They used to have their rates online but alas they took it down.

Timbertown sells composite for $2/ln ft right now.

Be very careful with the dimensions, if you want to do an exact replacement make sure the boards are actually the same size as your current boards.

Stay away from Trex. Overpriced and scratches really easily.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Timbertown might have some older models that they want to clear out and you can get them with a big discount. My friend got lucky last year and bought his at almost 65% off but he just made sure he bought a lot of extras just in case there's damage in the future since the manufacturer was not doing the same color anymore.

Is a vinyl deck out of the question? I love it on my deck. I've got about 400 sq ft. All vinyl. It's over 15 years old and still looks like new. No dripping underneath. Sweeps dust an dirt off easily. Comfortable to walk on and great for the kids.
    Just a thought.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I don't know if a vinyl deck is out of the question. When I first thought this up my plan was to do a vinyl deck because it would keep the patio under the main floor deck dry and it was cheaper than composite while still accomplishing the same end effect.

I started reading around and it seems that people are having theirs tear and otherwise get damaged and I am worried that between 3 kids and myself occasionally being careless that we will damage it. This is why I changed my mind and thought composite was a good idea. As for the dry underneath part I can always add the rain gutter things that fit between the joists later if I do composite.
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

Well we've had two big dogs plus construction projects, parties of over 30 people on the deck and not one tear or lifting anywhere. I shovel snow and ice off it thru the winter, plus traffic in and out of the Hottub. We use the patio every single day even in the winter. Even the stairs up to it are vinyl.

My Ride
    12' Civic, 88' Prelude, 02' F350

I actually have a bunch of composite decking planks left over from a couple jobs I did last year! What colour were you looking for?

Either way, both composite and vinyl decking get extremely hot during the summer time. I hope you considered that factor!

My Ride
    changes every year

^i was just going to say, they got hot as fuck. i built my deck last year with composite and while i love it, its way too hot sometimes. i got luck and bought it at $1 a foot a few years back, but it was the beginning of winter and they were obviously blowing out what was left.

we got it at timbertown IIRC.

I was going to pitch the vinyl too. I've helped my dad run it at his rentals and seems durable, easy to do and cheap-ish.

If it gets too hot, takes a few seconds to run the hose over it, squeegee it off and done.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I didn't know that they got super hot. Currently we have pine boards with a dark stain on them, would either decking surface get hotter than they do? I generally find it too hot to walk on in socks during the summer already

I need 33 12 foot boards (assuming I don't make any mistakes) and I haven't picked a colour yet. The house is tan and we'll be putting a black railing on it so that leaves a lot of colour options open.

It sounds like vinyl decking is much more durable that I had previously thought, any preferred brands for it? I assume it is the sort of thing that you have to get installed, not much of a DIY job, but perhaps I can at least install the plywood and do all the prep work?

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

BUMP - finally got the funds saved up to do the deck this year and I'm still wondering, if I do vinyl what is the best place to get it? Can I do it myself or does it have to be installed?

You can DIY it for sure. Old next door neighbour did it himself.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Zero102
    if I do vinyl what is the best place to get it? Can I do it myself or does it have to be installed?
    Random thing I learned from HGTV Disaster Decks: make sure you get screws specific for composite decks so you don't end up with the left:
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Skip the screws if you are using composite and use the hidden clips/fasteners.

You might have to screw in the first row.

My Ride
    12 audi a5

If your going composite look at Lumber King probably one of the best priced places. Timber town was a close one as well.

Sent yeah a pm for the Vinyl contact as well

My Ride
    12 audi a5

Originally posted by suntan
    You might have to screw in the first row.
    Alot of the composite brands like TREX have a starter row clip.
    You can use the start/stop clip and screw that right down without going through the boards.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by jwslam

Random thing I learned from HGTV Disaster Decks: make sure you get screws specific for composite decks so you don't end up with the left:
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Wish i'd known this ... I built some benches with composites for the seating portion and the screw holes look like shit

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

If I go with composite I'm planning to use the clips for between the rows but I hadn't considered what gets done for the starter row, I'll look into that and if necessary make sure to use the right screws to avoid the decking getting screwed up (ha ha... okay, I'll show myself out)

Since Lumber King isn't very close to me Timber Town was going to be my first stop, then Windsor Plywood to see what they offer, and last I was going to hit up the home depot in Tuscany just to see how the big box stores stack up.

Thanks for the advice guys!

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by locust
    If your going composite look at Lumber King probably one of the best priced places. Timber town was a close one as well.

Sent yeah a pm for the Vinyl contact as well
    Have you used lumber king before? They're garage package prices are quite a bit cheaper than any of the bigger box stores. I've never heard of them before though so a bit leary. Plus their office is literally a shack lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast