Quantcast
Condo patio -> communal area - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Condo patio -> communal area

Default Condo patio -> communal area

So we have found a place that we really like to rent for the time being until we can save more for $ down. It is on the same floor as the communal garden area. I'm assuming that all residents with a fob has access to this floor. It is not required to have a fob to access the garden area once you are on this floor already.

Our unit's patio has a mini gate that opens up to this communal garden area. We are concerned about the security of this setup because it is a door with glass that opens up to the patio. I can only think of getting an alarm installed as a precaution (phone line + security monitoring $). Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Install a bigger deadbolt, install security bars on the glass.

Security alarm just to make sure the patio door is safe is kinda overkill I think.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

I'm mainly concerned about the patio door. The patio door has glass on it, which I think may be easy to break to open the door (deadbolt no help?). I think the security bar idea is good but... is that possible or helpful for a patio door?

If someone is going to break the glass door to get in, they will also just break a window to get in.

No preventing that. (Without replacing all the glass with shatter proof / bullet proof)

My Ride
    G6

You're clearly in imminent danger! What's a security system gonna do? Beep at them? By the time the cops get there, your TV is gone and your wife is raped. If someone wants in, they're coming in. Best bet is to buy a big dog. Also buy some guns. Lots of guns! Nobody's messing with this fucker:

Either that, or stop being paranoid and realize that people don't break in because it's easy, they do so because they want to. And there is no stopping that.

And get a dog...

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 02:11 AM.

Shit happens in life and we mind as well leave the doors in our houses and cars unlocked right? should go to the auto electronic/alarm section of beyond and broadcast this too.

Thanks for the actual useful suggestions so far tho.
    Last edited by dragonone; 03-23-2013 at 12:10 PM.

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

My whole house is accessible to the public. AND I have a sliding glass patio door. I lock my doors and keep the 2" dowel at the bottom of the sliding door.

If someone wanted anything of mine, they'd get it. Just like your situation.

If anything, get a video camera that links to your phone, or just video surveillance in general. At least you will be able to see the people that keep you up at night.

PS It's "MIGHT as well." or "MAY as well."
    Originally posted by rage2
    I can't believe I'm driving Ferraris in those vids. I'd never be caught dead in one now.

Last edited by Cos; 12-30-2016 at 02:27 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Bicycle

Don't buy ground floor units if you are paranoid.

I'm looking at a few condos in Panorama and always wonder why people (other than saving a bucks) want a ground floor unit.

I can basically see what type of instant noodles you're eating thru your window the minute I park my car outside.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

I'm on the back side of a condo in Panorama and I love being on the ground floor. I have some green space off our patio instead of the panormaic vista of vinyl siding that everyone else south facing sees, due to the unit beside us. My patio is also huge compared to the tiny ones of the upper units.

It's also 1 flight of stairs down to my car and storage unit, no waiting for an elevator, or several flights of stairs with groceries.

I probably would not have wanted one on the front side of the unit though, in a all fairness.
    Last edited by colsankey; 03-23-2013 at 01:23 PM.

It's not on on the ground floor, but on the same floor as the 5th floor garden. I think i get the shit happens, pick something else or suck it up idea. I would feel better knowing I did everything in my power to prevent whatever I can. Anyhow, good to know.

Dowel in the bottom frame of the sliding door as mentioned... Skip the bars, put vandal-proof clear vinyl safety film on the window, makes it nearly impossible to removed the smashed glass, but it does depend on the strength of the frame.

From experience, the bottom two floors of our condo have been victims of robbery, but in both situations it was because the owners left the sliding glass door open. Most sliding doors come with dead bolts built into the bottom slider that allow you to lock the door, while still keeping it cracked open. A security system (glass break sensor, motion sensor) should be good enough for extra piece of mind when you're not home.