Ford Trucks Thread WAS:EcoBoost Thread - Page 101 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 101 of 257 FirstFirst ... 91 100 101 102 111 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 5122

Thread: Ford Trucks Thread WAS:EcoBoost Thread

My Ride
    golfR

Quote Originally Posted by Proyecto2000 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well it looks like my cold start rattle has now returned and I have to bring the truck back in. Did I really go through a brand new set of cam phasers and whatever they installed on the truck in under a week?

Also the annoying auto start stop seems to longer be functioning properly as all the time my screen shows engine on due to low temperature.
    Where in the screen do you see this?
    Is this new for the 2018/2019?
    Mine is a 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    Had Universal do my cams and they treated me well. The repair was quoted at 2-3 days so i rented a car through them for the 3 days. It was supposed to be done on the friday but they called me early to say it wouldnt be done til monday or tuesday. I asked if they would cover the rental for the weekend and he said no at first but when i pressed a bit more he said they would. I had read about guys having this done and then having oil dripped on the driveway from them not cleaning it up but not 1 drip on mine

If it makes you feel any better you're not the only guy that had them replaced only to comeback. Theres a bunch of guys that went through this too on the f150forum. Theres supposedly a new fix coming out soon
    Had mine done at Universal as well. Initially quoted 2-3 days as well but due to parts being delayed they had it for a week. Didn't charge me a dime for the rental. I didn't even ask, they just gave me one at no charge and nothing was paid at the end.
    I should keep at an eye on mine, hopefully it doesn't come back since it's now out of warranty.

My Ride
    Cayman

Had Universal do my cams and they treated me well. The repair was quoted at 2-3 days so i rented a car through them for the 3 days. It was supposed to be done on the friday but they called me early to say it wouldnt be done til monday or tuesday. I asked if they would cover the rental for the weekend and he said no at first but when i pressed a bit more he said they would. I had read about guys having this done and then having oil dripped on the driveway from them not cleaning it up but not 1 drip on mine

If it makes you feel any better you're not the only guy that had them replaced only to comeback. Theres a bunch of guys that went through this too on the f150forum. Theres supposedly a new fix coming out soon
    Well I knew the rattle would eventually happen again as they replaced the worn out parts with the exact same new defective part that was bound to fail just didnt expect it that quickly lol.

My Ride
    Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by chongkee_ View Post
    Where in the screen do you see this?
    Is this new for the 2018/2019?
    Mine is a 2017.

Had mine done at Universal as well. Initially quoted 2-3 days as well but due to parts being delayed they had it for a week. Didn't charge me a dime for the rental. I didn't even ask, they just gave me one at no charge and nothing was paid at the end.
    I should keep at an eye on mine, hopefully it doesn't come back since it's now out of warranty.
    On my 18 I just scroll over into the engine auto off menu on the dash. When you are driving the message reads normal engine operation or something like that and when you stop it either says engine turned off or engine on due to low tempature which mine reads all the time.

You will also see that the A with a circle by the odometer turns grey which means that the engine isn't turning off. Normally it goes green when off or orange when you disable the auto on/off with the button.

Quote Originally Posted by chongkee_ View Post
    How long ago was that? Universal hooked me up with a rental no prob last year on some recall work and they used to cover the shuttle rides back and forth but this year they only covered the ride back to my shop and i was on my own to get back.

Well I knew the rattle would eventually happen again as they replaced the worn out parts with the exact same new defective part that was bound to fail just didnt expect it that quickly lol.
    Sucks that we all knew it could come back but that quick is brutal. If you're on the f150 forum search the threads, theres one about this and the guys are saying a new repair is coming out i think
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
    Maclin is a shithole, avoid at all costs in my books. I actually haven't had any major dealer repairs in town that didn't have to go back a second time... very sad.
    Maclin has been the most brutal dealership to work with and I've yet to hear a good story coming out of their operation. Trying to buy a vehicle from them was probably one of the shittiest experiences I ever went through. The only reason my buddy went there was because after calling around they were the only ones to say they could have the work done in a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

I've been checking this thread periodically as there's mention of a TSB from Ford that's supposed to be out Q4 2019 but I haven't seen anything yet. According to said thread the cutoff for trucks having the cold start issue vs not having it is a build date of July 10th, 2018:

"Affects: Some 2017-2018 F-150 vehicles built on or before 10-Jul-2018
    Some 2017-2018 F-150 vehicles built on or before 10-Jul-2018 and 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator vehicles built on or before 8-Apr-2019 equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine may exhibit a ticking, tapping, or rattle type noise from the top front cover area of the engine that last 2-5 seconds on initial start-up after a cold soak. This may be due to a worn variable cam timing (VCT) unit. A TSB is expected to be published 4th quarter of 2019. In the interim, replace all 4 VCT units and update the powertrain control module (PCM) calibration. Do not replace timing chains, tensioners, guides or other timing related components unless inspection clearly identifies a concern. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01. Claim the labor required to replace VCTs using published labor operations and PCM programming using M-time. Monitor OASIS for updates.
    "

However there's been guys with 2019's with the noise and my truck which was built after that date also makes an annoying noise on cold start, though I've also had a heck of a time trying to confirm whether or not my noise it is in fact the same issue or not.

My Ride
    golfR

On my 18 I just scroll over into the engine auto off menu on the dash. When you are driving the message reads normal engine operation or something like that and when you stop it either says engine turned off or engine on due to low tempature which mine reads all the time.

You will also see that the A with a circle by the odometer turns grey which means that the engine isn't turning off. Normally it goes green when off or orange when you disable the auto on/off with the button.
    Thanks! I see them now. I'm aware of the circle but not the menu showing why it's not activating.
    It never really bothered me but was always curious the reason why mine rarely activates. I always knew that it was probably my battery since it never gets really charged since the truck is only driven a couple of times a week the last couple of months. Nice to get confirmation.

How long ago was that? Universal hooked me up with a rental no prob last year on some recall work and they used to cover the shuttle rides back and forth but this year they only covered the ride back to my shop and i was on my own to get back.

Sucks that we all knew it could come back but that quick is brutal. If you're on the f150 forum search the threads, theres one about this and the guys are saying a new repair is coming out i think
    I posted on this thread when I had it done, I think it was at the beginning of the year.
    They gave me a rental since the the work requires more than a day.
    I dropped off the truck and the SA told me that they'll need the truck for more than a day and to head over to the rental desk.

For regular service like oil changes it's always been the cab the last two years I've been going there.
    Cab from the dealership then on my own to get back.
    Last time I had service done back in September the car driver told me that the ride back is covered now too but didn't bother with it to find out.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I've said it before, but if you can, it's really good for the health of your battery to connect it to a maintainer overnight once a week or anytime it's going to sit more than a week. Now, you may not be having a catastrophic no-start situation without this, but it'll extend the life of your battery, and let the vehicle operate more efficiently.
    I use this to make the process easy.
    Name:  GC002-Eyelet-terminal-xconnect-with-fuse-protection-front.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  35.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    golfR

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I've said it before, but if you can, it's really good for the health of your battery to connect it to a maintainer overnight once a week or anytime it's going to sit more than a week. Now, you may not be having a catastrophic no-start situation without this, but it'll extend the life of your battery, and let the vehicle operate more efficiently.
    I use this to make the process easy.
    Name:  GC002-Eyelet-terminal-xconnect-with-fuse-protection-front.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  35.2 KB
    Thanks for that. I should start doing that.
    The connector would definitely make it more convenient.
    Any recommendation for a maintainer?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

CTEK /thread

I think Slow likes the Noco genius
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

really, any "smart" charger should be fine. CTEK and NOCO are good. Even battery tender or some of the better motomaster brand is fine. I found better deals on the NOCO 7200 when I was shopping.

If you just want a maintainer, you don't need many amps. I have a battery tender Jr on the wall of my garage where my wife parks, and it's 0.75A, and totally sufficient for overnight or storage maintenance.

- - - Updated - - -

Sale on this one at triangle store, it's got enough amperage that it will charge a dead battery too, and comes with the quick-connect eyelets:
    Name:  Noco Genius.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  62.9 KB
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    golfR

Ordered the Noco 3500 from Amazon. Thanks!
    Can't justify getting the 7200 since I don't really need the extra features it has over the 3500.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Handy to have around. install the quick-connect and hang the charger on the wall near where you park. Plug it in lots in the winter, and occasionally in the summer, and live your best life.

update:

I had the cold start rattling timing chain & cam phaser issue resolved as however the truck started to run hot and the engine fan went into over drive so they also replaced the radiator fan motor & thermostat.

I am very happy with the service and how I was treated at Cam Clark Airdrie so I would highly recommend them for the engine work if any of you experience the cold start rattle. I went over the engine bay and underneath and every clip and plastic pin was replaced and you cant even tell that they took this truck apart.
    My engine fan is going into overdrive but their "testing" didn't find anything. Apparently I have to drive there while it's going nuts and have someone come out to look at it. Hard to do with the weather lately. The fans calm down in this cold, but in the heat they'll continue to run full blast in idle while I'm trying to figure out wtf is going on.

Question: Who has the big tow mirrors? You ever take it through the auto car washes? I don't like folding them in because a) my mirrors don't auto fold and b) I don't like having half a mirror cleaned.

Wand wash is typically a PITA but not looking to figure this one out the hard way.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Lately I've noticed a clunk from the rear when going up driveways or over speedbumps at an angle (not audible when going straight). Almost sounds like the suspension is binding. Any thoughts?

2018 F150 non FX4.

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Lately I've noticed a clunk from the rear when going up driveways or over speedbumps at an angle (not audible when going straight). Almost sounds like the suspension is binding. Any thoughts?

2018 F150 non FX4.
    I have this intermittently on my 2018 Sport since new, it only happens when my wheels are turned though.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

2018 F150 non FX4.
    Put some EYE’s on the IWE’s.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    Put some EYE’s on the IWE’s.
    EYE?

I really don't think it's an issue with the IWE

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Definitely won't be iwes. They make a grinding sound that is either that, or a blown diff. My truck used to clunk in the rear going over bumps. I figure it was just the awful stock rear shocks not doing their job. Went away with the bilsteins.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

2018 F150 non FX4.
    My 18 Fx4 f150 did that. My Raptor does it intermittently as well. Rear spare clunking around. Plus it's a floating axel as well. Nothing to really worry about.

Page 101 of 257 FirstFirst ... 91 100 101 102 111 ... LastLast