Quantcast
Ford Trucks Thread WAS:EcoBoost Thread - Page 33 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 33 of 258 FirstFirst ... 23 32 33 34 43 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Trucks Thread WAS:EcoBoost Thread

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Wrong. Oil vapor goes into the manifold directly under vacuum only. Under boost its pulled into the turbo intakes where it's then spit out into the intercooler.

hrm... I'm at the crux of whether to keep the truck.. Its an XLT XTR, so its missing a couple creature comforts I would have wanted: sunroof and leather..

However I did get a quote for a katskin for about 2k installed w/ seat warmers.

its low k, and I have meticulously taken care of it, but... if this cam/timing phaser issue is real issue... I'd rather offload it

Only thing is, I'd love a truck that has the same type of unloaded acceleration and more importantly, torque characteristics for when towing.

not sure anything really exists.

Drove a tundra, and even though the 1794 was very very nice, all the plastics seem so mickey mouse, and even though on paper its very comparable to the Ram... the Ram was a better driving truck.

the Ram hemi has very potent acceleration, but once its hooked up, it just isn't the ecoboost

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

r3ccc0s, if you want the low end power, your choices are limited to turbocharged motors, so Diesel or EcoBoost. You like your truck, and it's been well maintained. If you are tired of it sell it, but my opinion is that you'll regret moving to anything else.

If I was you, and I know I'm not, I'd keep it one year, see how the reviews are for the 10-speed transmission that is coming out, and then decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2005 F350

I've thought about jumping ship to a different brand and engine as well, but a Sierra or Ram would have to be a 3/4 ton to compare to the truck I have on order.

a well appointed Ram or Sierra would cost me more, have worse fuel economy, and would ride way rougher than I would like to deal with for a daily.

I want leather, heated seats, power folding tow mirrors, auto headlights, auto climate control, vents for the rear passengers, nav, etc.

no way I could get a 3/4 ton with all of that for about 50k plus tax.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

Originally posted by SOAB
    I've thought about jumping ship to a different brand and engine as well, but a Sierra or Ram would have to be a 3/4 ton to compare to the truck I have on order.

a well appointed Ram or Sierra would cost me more, have worse fuel economy, and would ride way rougher than I would like to deal with for a daily.

I want leather, heated seats, power folding tow mirrors, auto headlights, auto climate control, vents for the rear passengers, nav, etc.

no way I could get a 3/4 ton with all of that for about 50k plus tax.
    so you ordered a Lariat FX4 157 WB (6.5 box) HD?

My Ride
    2005 F350

Close. No FX4 package. I have no use for off-road shocks and skid plates. just more weight that I won't need.

Lariat 500a package, Ecoboost, Screw 6.5' box. HD Payload and Max tow. I did add a few options like the power folding mirrors, Nav, box side steps, rear seatbelt airbags, tailgate step. Already have a few mods planned

This wait is killing me. I'm hoping that there are no additional delays from Ford or I may have to consider something else.

Close. No FX4 package. I have no use for off-road shocks and skid plates. just more weight that I won't need.

Lariat 500a package, Ecoboost, Screw 6.5' box. HD Payload and Max tow. I did add a few options like the power folding mirrors, Nav, box side steps, rear seatbelt airbags, tailgate step. Already have a few mods planned

This wait is killing me. I'm hoping that there are no additional delays from Ford or I may have to consider something else.
    I think as an option to a 3/4 ton, that the ecoboost 6.5 HD is an excellent option. I mean it weighs less than 5k and has probably the torque/power to weight ratio closing on a diesel.

Drives like a SUV, yet has payload of a HD...

the only thing I'm apprehensive is, all the reviews about towing long and heavy trailer on conventional bumper towing as it is that "light"

I think a 6.5 would be great for a camper or a 5th wheel option.

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by r3ccOs

I think as an option to a 3/4 ton, that the ecoboost 6.5 HD is an excellent option. I mean it weighs less than 5k and has probably the torque/power to weight ratio closing on a diesel.

Drives like a SUV, yet has payload of a HD...

the only thing I'm apprehensive is, all the reviews about towing long and heavy trailer on conventional bumper towing as it is that "light"

I think a 6.5 would be great for a camper or a 5th wheel option.
    people always say that you shouldn't tow 8k lbs with a 5k lbs truck. but towing 16k lbs with a 10k lbs truck is ok?

I've read the reviews about people having troubles towing a travel trailer as well. I am not too worried for the most part because a lot of them never took the time to set up their hitches. just tried to hook up and go with the same set-up as their previous truck.

I will most like throw a set of airbags on to stop any porpoising and stabilize the back end. maybe a hellwig sway bar. I'm undecided on that for now.

people always say that you shouldn't tow 8k lbs with a 5k lbs truck. but towing 16k lbs with a 10k lbs truck is ok?

I've read the reviews about people having troubles towing a travel trailer as well. I am not too worried for the most part because a lot of them never took the time to set up their hitches. just tried to hook up and go with the same set-up as their previous truck.

I will most like throw a set of airbags on to stop any porpoising and stabilize the back end. maybe a hellwig sway bar. I'm undecided on that for now.
    and I agree. However if you were to take a direct apples to apples comparison of an 12th gen Ecoboost Max Tow and a 13th Ecoboost Max tow, the feedback I've heard, even from the dealers is that

Even with the frame 5% stronger, you will feel larger loads more, just due to the weight differences.

Some salesmen will say that the increase in payload and towing capacity (12,200 lbs) means its more capable... and though in theory, the drivetrain has more "capacity" because of the lighter curb weight... it can effect towing stability.

however I'm certain that a long wheelbase HD w/ the 6.5 and the highest rated GVWR for a ecoscrew is going to be more than competent for weekend towing.

I'm sure nobody is really ever pushing the full 12k mark in a F150, let alone for constant use.

What I don't like is how they keep saying that the weight savings equally equate into payload/towing gains... it is not even close.

The previous GVWR in a max tow or HD was 7650 or 8200 and the current models are: 7000 and 7850
    which means more or less, they threw a couple hundred pounds more payload capacity, but have dropped the overall GVWR by almost the actual weight savings.

From what I understand, the new Superduty will finally switch cab styles (which I think hasn't changed since 03) to the same cab as the F150...
    However for the HD application it requires, I believe they are just reintroducing the weight back into the frame and other drive line components, as you just can't give up the weight for that type of application.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 03-24-2016 at 10:21 AM.

My Ride
    2005 F350

my theory as to why the weight savings didn't go directly into increasing the GVWR of the new 2015 trucks is that the F150 has turned into a family vehicle/grocery getter for many people, with the occasional weekend towing duties.

with this in mind, Ford didn't keep the spring-rate the same as previous years because the ride would be too rough when the truck is unloaded. bumping up the actual payload between 2 similarly optioned trucks from 2014 to 2015 by 200-300lbs is pretty good while still maintaining the smoother ride that many people ask for.

this target market is why dealerships stock so many Screw 5.5' box F150's in various trim levels. not too many many people need or want a 6.5' box and the Screw most space to get the kids to hockey practice.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

my theory as to why the weight savings didn't go directly into increasing the GVWR of the new 2015 trucks is that the F150 has turned into a family vehicle/grocery getter for many people, with the occasional weekend towing duties.

with this in mind, Ford didn't keep the spring-rate the same as previous years because the ride would be too rough when the truck is unloaded. bumping up the actual payload between 2 similarly optioned trucks from 2014 to 2015 by 200-300lbs is pretty good while still maintaining the smoother ride that many people ask for.

this target market is why dealerships stock so many Screw 5.5' box F150's in various trim levels. not too many many people need or want a 6.5' box and the Screw most space to get the kids to hockey practice.
    I think you nailed it here...

I actually find the ride in mine to be quite comfortable compared to the previous gen, even with the FX4 package

Wish I could have waited a little longer to get the truck to take more advantage of the savings, we were being quoted 70k+tax for a sparsely optioned Lariat...ended up going for a 40k XLT FX4 and just adding aftermarket heated leather, which has been good

Kinda crappy that Ford removed the leather option unless you went to Lariat trim though

Originally posted by haggis88

I think you nailed it here...

I actually find the ride in mine to be quite comfortable compared to the previous gen, even with the FX4 package

Wish I could have waited a little longer to get the truck to take more advantage of the savings, we were being quoted 70k+tax for a sparsely optioned Lariat...ended up going for a 40k XLT FX4 and just adding aftermarket heated leather, which has been good

Kinda crappy that Ford removed the leather option unless you went to Lariat trim though
    is it substantial enough for me to upgrade to the 13th gen?

also, curious, who did you get to do your aftermarket leather?

I know Katzskin is good, I heard better than stock, but I am a big fan of "mitt/saddle" leather quality like from the old King Ranch days... wondering if thats even possible?

My Ride
    Silverado

I've heard that aftermarket is better too. Would probably be impossible to find full or top grain though. Would be in the range of $5000 would be my guess.

My Ride
    2005 F350

well, reading online it seems like Katzskins generally run in the $2000 range which is a less than what you'd have to pay to upgrade to a Lariat if all you want is leather.

I wonder if your heated seats would still work through the seat covers though?

I think they have changed the actual material of the leather in the King Ranch from saddle leather to the regular leather of other models? not 100% sure on that though.

there have been a few complaints about the leather seat bottoms stretching after a very short period of time so I'm hoping mine won't be affected by that.

My Ride
    2005 F350

http://www.autoseatskins.com/ford-f1...s-p/n2fo11.htm

not a bad price considering how much customization you can get including heated and massaging seats!

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Anyone else getting loose doors? My super crew has just over 70K (all highway) and anytime I go over any sort of uneven road, washboard, etc my doors rattle like crazy and it's driving me nuts. If I have the windo rolled down and stick my fingers outside between the roof and the door I can feel it moving like 1/8"!

I've heard the door bumpers can be replaced, as they wear out and don't provide adequate tension on the door anymore when closed, but has anyone else experienced this?

My Ride
    Silverado

I think they have changed the actual material of the leather in the King Ranch from saddle leather to the regular leather of other models? not 100% sure on that though.
    Ya the king ranch does not have saddle leather anymore. Same shity leather as the rest of them. Just an old man package as far as I can tell now.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

Ya the king ranch does not have saddle leather anymore. Same shity leather as the rest of them. Just an old man package as far as I can tell now.
    well I think maybe, just maybe, its all leather, as opposed to FX4 and Lariat where it is just leather where you touch.

its probably exactly the same seats as the platnium or limited.

but man oh man, I'd love ranch style seats

My Ride
    Silverado

ya, i am not an expert on ford that's for sure. But the one at the auto show had a crack / tear in the leather and it was super thin and brittle.

I know GM uses a better leather package on the Denali's compared to rest of the line (less vinyl I think). So it would make sense for it to have the same package as the other premium trims

My Ride
    2012 300C SRT8 /2015 F150 Platinum

Picked up my new 2015 F150 last week

Edit...And yup no idea how to post photos from a phone any more.https://flic.kr/p/F2mNVQ
    https://flic.kr/p/FQXRqV
    Last edited by jonnycat; 04-03-2016 at 03:12 PM.
    2014 Jeep SRT, 2015 F150 Platinum , 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG

[Do][---+---][oD]

Page 33 of 258 FirstFirst ... 23 32 33 34 43 ... LastLast