Ford Trucks Thread WAS:EcoBoost Thread - Page 96 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 96 of 257 FirstFirst ... 86 95 96 97 106 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 5122

Thread: Ford Trucks Thread WAS:EcoBoost Thread

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was my biggest complaint about my 2016 XLT. the rear end would constantly jump out of line when hitting larger road seams, and was a rougher ride. I was chaulking it up to being the FX4 package and was planning on putting those bilsteins in. But then I got the new truck and just opted to NOT get the FX4 package, and it made all the difference.
    I thought the same, but I have a Sport and it was doing all those things. Maybe they finally changed the damping in the new trucks, but MAN are the bilsteins nice. i drove even further today and didnt get one instance of wheel hop or chatter.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I had the rattle/indexing sound as well in mine, always happens on throttle lift when engine temp is below 60. I had all of my phasers, chains, tensioners and everything replaced (on a non related issue, my intake variable wasn't working), and the truck did it before and after no different with all new components. Lots of discussion in the US about it, people are all weirded out about it. I think its a non issue TBH, engines make different noises when cold.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I can feel a considerable difference on mine since the timing chain service. There's much less hesitation and acceleration feels/sounds tighter, if that makes sense.

Had oil on the driveway though, so going to take it in to get that checked out...

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by syscal View Post
    I can feel a considerable difference on mine since the timing chain service. There's much less hesitation and acceleration feels/sounds tighter, if that makes sense.

Had oil on the driveway though, so going to take it in to get that checked out...
    Yah, I had hesitation/stuttering at a certain throttle input which is why mine went in. Again though, unrelated to the sound that people are talking about. You may have had VVT mirroring issues as well. You'll notice the sound will still be there though!

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    I had the rattle/indexing sound as well in mine, always happens on throttle lift when engine temp is below 60. I had all of my phasers, chains, tensioners and everything replaced (on a non related issue, my intake variable wasn't working), and the truck did it before and after no different with all new components. Lots of discussion in the US about it, people are all weirded out about it. I think its a non issue TBH, engines make different noises when cold.
    Can you blame them for being weirded out though? They spent all this money on a new truck and its rattling to the point where Ford is authorizing major repairs to fix it(2-3 day job)

Ive noticed some hesitation here and there too but always thought it was the turbo lag. Mines got confirmation of repair but waiting on parts. If the repair was really recent i bet the oil is just some residual from somewhere but yeah id have them look at it
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I'm sure this has been asked, but it is also an issue on Gen II 3.5 Ecoboosts?

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

I wonder if the hesitation people used to attribute to 'water ingestion' on the intercoolers was actually part of this.
    Cos...

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Yes, mine is a gen2. They upgraded the timing chain layout (2 chains instead of 1 with new tensioners) to mitigate the cold start rattle from the chain stretch, which sounds ENTIRELY different if you actually hear a gen 1 with a stretched chain. It sounds awful. The sound these make is a rattle I describe as a mechanical indexing sound which is brief, has defined start and stop points, and irrespective of RPM sounds the same. Its easy to replicate, running cold you can either blip the throttle in P, or when driving slowly forward lift your foot off the throttle and you'll hear it until 57-60c and its gone. The BW phasers are likely making the noise when they're shifting position. There are a number of random theories on the US boards, but of course they can all run back and get buy backs and there are a ton of chicken littles out there. I believe there was an ECM update that reduced this noise as well for a while, likely by altering the VVT strategy in cold operation.
    Last edited by TurboMedic; 09-20-2019 at 02:19 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    I wonder if the hesitation people used to attribute to 'water ingestion' on the intercoolers was actually part of this.
    The gen 2 has a factory weep hole, and the intercooler is shuttered to retain some heat and improve evaporation of moisture in the intercooler, whether that resolved it or not is anyones guess. I don't know what the gen1's felt like when they had moisture issues

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    mines the gen 2 also and shes got the rattle too.
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Yes, mine is a gen2. They upgraded the timing chain layout (2 chains instead of 1 with new tensioners) to mitigate the cold start rattle from the chain stretch, which sounds ENTIRELY different if you actually hear a gen 1 with a stretched chain. It sounds awful. The sound these make is a rattle I describe as a mechanical indexing sound which is brief, has defined start and stop points, and irrespective of RPM sounds the same. Its easy to replicate, running cold you can either blip the throttle in P, or when driving slowly forward lift your foot off the throttle and you'll hear it until 57-60c and its gone. The BW phasers are likely making the noise when they're shifting position. There are a number of random theories on the US boards, but of course they can all run back and get buy backs and there are a ton of chicken littles out there. I believe there was an ECM update that reduced this noise as well for a while, likely by altering the VVT strategy in cold operation.
    The gen 2 has a factory weep hole, and the intercooler is shuttered to retain some heat and improve evaporation of moisture in the intercooler, whether that resolved it or not is anyones guess. I don't know what the gen1's felt like when they had moisture issues
    This must be what people think when I talk IT...

Thanks for this detailed info.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Mine goes in Monday for the cold start rattle so I'll report back after it gets done, they have it booked for three days. My truck was out of warranty when I took it in (107,500km) so it was going to be a $4,000 repair but I called Ford Canada and pled my case. Between that and the awesome service adviser I had (which is a really nice change of pace from my typical Ford service advisers) I still have to pay a portion of it because its out of warranty but it will only be $1500 which is better than $4,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride

This must be what people think when I talk IT...

Thanks for this detailed info.
    Now that I read it to myself it does sound a bit babble-ish

My 2018 started to do this cold start rattle over the last week as well, only 29,000km on it. On an unrelated note, with the 10speed transmission, is everyone's really slow when shifting from D to R?

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

I complained about the rattle/tick during cold start and they had the shop foreman listen to it, said it was completely normal.... Tough to say if it's the same thing you're describing. Mine's a 3.5EB GenII

Quote Originally Posted by bigboom View Post
    My 2018 started to do this cold start rattle over the last week as well, only 29,000km on it. On an unrelated note, with the 10speed transmission, is everyone's really slow when shifting from D to R?
    Welcome to the club lol
    My 10spd doesnt feel laggy at all going into reverse, do you notice this all the time or just the first time in the morning?

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    I complained about the rattle/tick during cold start and they had the shop foreman listen to it, said it was completely normal.... Tough to say if it's the same thing you're describing. Mine's a 3.5EB GenII
    Check online to see the videos, some are way louder than others but its a very clear rattle noise. Maybe try a different dealer, i took mine to universal and the sa knew right away from my description and they authorized the work that afternoon.

It's all the time, anytime when I move from D to R or vice versa it takes a while to actually engage. By while I mean I will put it in gear step on the gas and nothing will happen for 1-2 seconds.
    Last edited by bigboom; 09-23-2019 at 01:59 PM.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

This does not happen on my 2018, nor did it on my previous ones ('17, '15, '13, '11). I'm still in love with the EcoBoosts. Towed my first camp trailer with it this summer (26') and it had no issues. The mileage sure takes a hit, but the fuel economy savings the rest of the year more than make up for it.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by freshprince1 View Post
    This does not happen on my 2018, nor did it on my previous ones ('17, '15, '13, '11). I'm still in love with the EcoBoosts. Towed my first camp trailer with it this summer (26') and it had no issues. The mileage sure takes a hit, but the fuel economy savings the rest of the year more than make up for it.
    I am in the same boat as you. I have had a '12, '16, and now my '19. All of them are / were the 3.5L EB, and besides doing the normal maintenance, I have had zero mechanical issues. I love these trucks. only down side really is the towing mileage, like you said.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

To the people complaining about towing mileage what are you comparing it to?

I got 16.1L/100km towing the car on a car hauler to and from a race in the states (~2500km round trip) through the mountains, going the speed limit in my 18' 3.5EB. My 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 w/ 5.3L got ~17L/100km on the same journey with very similar weather.

Page 96 of 257 FirstFirst ... 86 95 96 97 106 ... LastLast