Quantcast
Ford Trucks Thread WAS:EcoBoost Thread - Page 30 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 30 of 258 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Trucks Thread WAS:EcoBoost Thread

Last edited by Cos; 12-21-2016 at 10:30 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Is this while doing a remote start? You can go into the setup and turn QuietStart to on which will help with that, but will cause your truck to take a little longer to warm up.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

The only issue I ever seem to encounter is my speedometer. Sometimes at random it seems, my speed on the odometer will gradually increase. So I will be at a stop light and its registering I'm going 80kmph. So when I'm going on the highway my car is registering just below 200kmph lol.

It's comes on and then goes away after a day or so.. Never been able to get a fix for it.. As when ever my appointment is.. It's back to normal. And a video and picture to them does nothing.
    Originally posted by Melinda

You certainly are not a very nice person though.

Reviving an old thread since I am looking into a new truck and have started to read into the reliability issues of the F-150s. Reading about all the issues really put me off in getting a F150... so much so that I might consider the Toyota Tundra even though I like the F150 more in terms of how it drives/handle, the gadgets, and how quiet the cabin is, etc. My wife and I have owned many new vehicles (all imports) and have never had any reliability related issues with the vehicles. I really don't want to deal with the headache of an unreliable vehicle.

Anyone on here that have the 2015+ F150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost and have you experienced any problems with the engine and the vehicle in general? As far as I know the 3.5L EcoBoost engine is the same as pre-2015... so the same issues might crop up again if not rectified by Ford already.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

What kind of reliability issues are you talking about? The ecoboost is a rock solid engine.

My Ride
    Has wheels

I had a '13 that I drove to 65k with no issues and currently have a '15 with 15k on it with no issues.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Just don't put a box tune on it...

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 09:07 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Originally posted by Cos
    LOL @ rock solid. It seems like if it was made on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday the drivetrain will be great. But if yours was made on a Monday or Friday, you're fucked.
    I know you've had a bunch of problems with your truck in particular, but that is definitely more the exception than the norm I'm afraid. Any manufacturer will have stories similar to yours.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

And he tuned his....

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

No question, there have been some failures, but considering how many have been sold, it's impressively rare.

I can't find current numbers, but back in may 2014, they had sold over five hundred thousand in the F150 platform alone. Now they are selling two displacements, it must be rapidly approaching one million.

It's tough to look past your own bad experience, but overall, they don't have a poor reputation.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    bus

Yep, my next truck will be an F-150. I love the fact that they have a flat floor in the back, I can put down a baby mattress in the back and go crown camping. Plus the military grade aluminum coupled with the fantastic tow ratings and fuel economy I don't know why anyone would buy ram or GM

I think the engine is good, and the transmission is good... even the 9.75 diff w/ the 3.73 does a good job of delivering the grunt of the ecoboost or the 6.2

I did just get a 14-090 done, which is pretty common with the oil slinger on the aluminium driveshaft, but otherwise (touch wood) the ecoscrew or the 6.2 or the 5.0 are solid and even the new 2.7, so far is holding up well..

with my ecoscrew, there are no shudder/condensation issues yet....
    I change my truck's oil every 5-6k to prevent any timing chain issues from fuel dilution

outside of that, 2 other items to bulletproof the truck are very simple:

1. get the spark plugs replaced every 50k as they foul easy with DI
    2. Take out the intercooler like on Diesels and use a detergent to wash it out periodically

3. Non-warranty - as an alternate to a catch can to deal with condensation and oil collection... drill a 1/16 hole in the bottom of the intercooler (tons of articles)... to dump the crap
    there is never a vacuum in the intercooler and the loss of pressure is negligible as its managed by the wastegate (contentions as to whether it makes the turbo's spool much more, but so far all the instruments say its negligible)

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by redblack
    Yep, my next truck will be an F-150. I love the fact that they have a flat floor in the back, I can put down a baby mattress in the back and go crown camping. Plus the military grade aluminum coupled with the fantastic tow ratings and fuel economy I don't know why anyone would buy ram or GM
    There is no such thing as 'military grade aluminum' other than Ford TV commercials and it it appears they used Cambell's soup can aluminum instead:

My Ride
    K-car

Originally posted by redblack
    Because a V8 GM can tow more and gets better real world mileage than the ecoboost Ford, better towing mileage too. All without any of the long term repairs issues that might arise with a twin turbo V6 engine in a large truck.

Each truck has its benefits. I don't think Ford is any better than Ram or GM, it just boils down to personal preference. They all build good trucks.

Originally posted by corsvette

Because a V8 GM can tow more and gets better real world mileage than the ecoboost Ford, better towing mileage too. All without any of the long term repairs issues that might arise with a twin turbo V6 engine in a large truck.

Each truck has its benefits. I don't think Ford is any better than Ram or GM, it just boils down to personal preference. They all build good trucks.
    I think that as long as you can deal with the condensation issue of having too large of an IC on the 3.5 ecoboost, its a heck of a motor.

the 6.0, the old 6.2 and the new 6.2 are great motors, as is the hemi 5.7 and 6.4...

but I tell you, the F150 ecoboost even on my previous gen steel "heavy" body, feels more diesel like than a V8 and its more comfortable in towing applications at elevation.

The Ecoboost would be the perfect engine if its durability, especially the intercooler, was taken care of, an 8 or 10 speed and cylinder deactivation (if there was an 8 or 10 speed)

I personally am skeptical of the aluminium body F150, mostly due to associated repair costs, and the fact that it just makes a half ton that much lighter, yet still have an astronomical tow rating.

could just carry an extra 500-800lbs as the payload capacity has increased that much.

Today.. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better gas truck than the new Sierra/Silverado 8 speed 6.2

Spec wise, I think the new F150 max tow/HD ecoscrew 3.5 4x4 has the same tow rating as the maxed out Sierra/Silverado 6.2

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Originally posted by Darell_n

There is no such thing as 'military grade aluminum' other than Ford TV commercials and it it appears they used Cambell's soup can aluminum instead:

Pound for pound steel always wins... But why in the sweet fuck do you need that added strength in a fucking door skin?

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by ercchry

Pound for pound steel always wins... But why in the sweet fuck do you need that added strength in a fucking door skin?
    On an actual truck it's very important. But I realize all the 1/2 ton trucks made today are just commuter mini vans with a box, so tin foil would still do the job. I would actually be interested in Saturn plastic panels on a truck. Light and they could take a beating. I do think aluminum is the future but I absolutely loath Ford advertising tactics so this is why I joined in here today.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Still better than gm's focus group nonsense haha

My Ride
    bus

Well that sucks, that's not military grade anything. I wonder if the fuel economy ratings are a lie too.

Page 30 of 258 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast