Quantcast
Ford Trucks Thread WAS:EcoBoost Thread - Page 65 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 65 of 258 FirstFirst ... 55 64 65 66 75 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 5145

Thread: Ford Trucks Thread WAS:EcoBoost Thread

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

I don’t feel bad for you guys who have such a “long” truck.

I’ve gotten use to parking my crew cab, long box dually.

I can definitely say the 360 cameras help out 10 fold.

Pics of unit.

Professionally Retired

curious... how many of us are getting timing chain rattle?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Never got it on my '12, and my '16 has been running flawlessly
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

had it in my 13.

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    had it in my 13.
    how many km?
    did you end up doing the latest TSB and I assume out of warranty?

What exactly goes? Sounds like it’s timing chain stretch however the TSB calls for replacement of all the Cam sprockets, that seems a little weird if it’s just chain stretch.

Glad to see synthetic blend 5w-30 is called for on these engines. The 5w-20 they spec for other engines is stupid.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    how many km?
    did you end up doing the latest TSB and I assume out of warranty?
    It was a while ago. I think it was around 65,000km. Not sure it was the latest tsb, but it was fine until I traded it in. It was covered under warranty.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    The 5w-20 they spec for other engines is stupid.
    All in the name of CAFE.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    All in the name of CAFE.
    All hail CAFE.

So silly, the dealer will make you think your engine will blow up if you deviate from 5w-20. That crap is like water at operating temp.

If you guys don’t follow Fordtechmakuloco on YouTube you need to start. I started watching his channel after I got my f150 as he was the only channel I came across with actual technical information and excellent video quality.

I mentioned this in the myths thread but he’s got some great vids on why it’s an absolutely horrible idea to use products like seafoam to do induction cleaning on the ecoboost. He also is in contact with ford engineers and shares some of that information.

Glad I watched this as I was toying with getting an ecoboost.

My Ride
    K-car

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    If you guys don’t follow Fordtechmakuloco on YouTube you need to start. I started watching his channel after I got my f150 as he was the only channel I came across with actual technical information and excellent video quality.

I mentioned this in the myths thread but he’s got some great vids on why it’s an absolutely horrible idea to use products like seafoam to do induction cleaning on the ecoboost. He also is in contact with ford engineers and shares some of that information.

Glad I watched this as I was toying with getting an ecoboost.
    Fordtechmakuloco bought a new Ram. Says a lot about how he feels for the trucks he works on lol. His vids are great though, the short spell I had a ecoboost I watched several of his videos. They were quite helpful and informative. Good to get first rate advice from a expert tech.

Quote Originally Posted by corsvette View Post
    Fordtechmakuloco bought a new Ram. Says a lot about how he feels for the trucks he works on lol. His vids are great though, the short spell I had a ecoboost I watched several of his videos. They were quite helpful and informative. Good to get first rate advice from a expert tech.
    Haha yea I finally watched that vid.

Pretty much summed up what I’ve determined about the ecoboost. Amazing engine.... when it works.

FTM:”....my option for the engine would have been the ecoboost, which has soo many darn problems it’s not even funny... I figured I’ll just deal with it and make videos as time goes along...”

My Ride

the issues i've had plus what i've read about is exactly why i went coyote for my current truck. yes, it has its issues too, but they don't seem as widespread

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I can't say these issues are widespread at all. I am on my second 3.5L EB with about 160,000kms between them with nothing but normal regular maintenance. Both of these engines have been rock solid. With the exception of 1 truck that had a coolant issue (Cos), I know about a dozen people with these trucks, and know of another 30 or so, and I can't recall hearing of anyone having issues specific to the EB.

I keep researching them, and besides the condensation issues of the early EB years, they are getting top reliability numbers from what I have seen so far.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    2005 F350

the issue with listening to a technician that works on a particular make, model, etc. is that they usually are jaded. the only ones they see and remember are the ones that come in for 1 issue or another. others that just go in for a oil change just goes to a lube bitch and never sees any other journeyman for work. a lot don't ever see a dealership again because owners do their own maintenance or have their own mechanics.

are there issues with the ecoboost? i'm sure there are.

are they as widespread as some would like you to believe? i don't believe so.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Sales numbers continue to be extremely strong for the Ecoboost. If there was really widespread problems I think it would have started to impact sales now we have six years and more than a million F150 ecoboosts out there.

I've never seen reputable reliability numbers that break out engine choice. I would love if anyone had that kind of hardware data and not just a whole pile of feelings. I have enough feelings of my own thank you very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by TYMSMNY View Post
    I've been looking at one, haven't had a chance to drive the new ones yet. Priced it all out online but wanted to get feedback on the 18s. Is it worth the extra 20k to go up the trim level?

supercab was what I was looking at but supercrew with a 5.5 box might be better?

Platinum = ~70k
    Raptor/Limited = ~90k

thoughts? opinions?
    If you currently have an AMG 63 of some sort id say its 100% worth the upgrade unless you're looking more for a work truck. The platinum is easily the nicest interior for a truck so you can have the nice luxuries that youre used to with the amg. Go to a ford dealer and spend some time in a platinum and then the lower models, its worth it lol

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    If you currently have an AMG 63 of some sort id say its 100% worth the upgrade unless you're looking more for a work truck. The platinum is easily the nicest interior for a truck so you can have the nice luxuries that youre used to with the amg. Go to a ford dealer and spend some time in a platinum and then the lower models, its worth it lol
    Yes was definitely looking for a nicer interior. Theres a private sale coming up so I'll take a look then at the Plat/Lim. Supercrew with a 5.5 box.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    I can't say these issues are widespread at all. I am on my second 3.5L EB with about 160,000kms between them with nothing but normal regular maintenance. Both of these engines have been rock solid. With the exception of 1 truck that had a coolant issue (Cos), I know about a dozen people with these trucks, and know of another 30 or so, and I can't recall hearing of anyone having issues specific to the EB.

I keep researching them, and besides the condensation issues of the early EB years, they are getting top reliability numbers from what I have seen so far.
    I had more than coolant issues. I am beginning to believe I was one of the first people with timing chain issues which blew my head gaskets. The coolant blowing out of the head was just a symptom. I've known more than a couple people with issues and I've also been told when trying to help a friend sell his EB to an exporter that the US is no longer willing to take chances on them because of the issues on the earlier gens. My buddy ended up having to sell his privately or trade it in eventually. Can't remember which one.
    Cos...

Carbon build up is a huge problem with these. FTM shows some footage of the intake valves on a lower mileage 3.5 with a cold misfire problem (in the end determined to be caused by carbon buildup) that looked worse than the 278k 302 sitting in my garage.

As I mentioned you can’t use seafoam to clean this as they’ve seen a significant number of turbo failures during or after seafoam (or similar) induction treatments due to Extremely high exhaust temps during the treatment. So you have to do a manual clean which is time consuming and/or expensive.

Timing chains seem to be an issue as well.

There are several other problems FTM outlines on his channel.

These issues aren’t cropping up on high mileage engines but are showing up on low (sub 200k) engines.

If you want a truck that will last you a lifetime the ecoboost is not for you. It’s basically the new 3v 5.4 in terms of longevity.

Edit: TSBs are sometimes a good indicator of engine reliability. Since 2015 looking through the TSBs there were about 12-15 different engine related TSBs I could find under the f150 and of those only 2 were non-ecoboost TSBs.
    Last edited by J-hop; 12-11-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Page 65 of 258 FirstFirst ... 55 64 65 66 75 ... LastLast