Quantcast
Needing a New / New-Used vehicle soon....advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Needing a New / New-Used vehicle soon....advice

Default Needing a New / New-Used vehicle soon....advice

So I am pretty determined to get a bigger vehicle by this summer. Right now I have 2 little 4 door sedans that are over 200,000km's and 10 yrs old. They are cheap but I have a family of 4 now and they are such a pain in the azz if we want to do anything.

I had my heart set on a truck, but would also consider a mini van. (toyota or honda). I am very much in favor of the truck first though because I just think it is more versatile, although higher fuel costs.

I want to be able to bring stuff to the dump, pick up landscaping and construction supplies for projects around the house (not for work), move my tool box when I need to, and go camping. Right now we can't even go camping unless someone takes 70% of our stuff lol it's lame.

Anyways, just looking for advice on what I should look at. I've always been a toyota fan but I love the way the newer Ram's look. Should I try and buy new? or just go for something in the $10 to $15k range? It seems like you can get a better interest rate on new vehicles.

I will need financing, so is there any reason I should stay away from these smaller car lots with their "everyone approved" financing? What other options are there?

Any help/advice/insights would be just super great.

thanks

Look at what kind of financing your bank will offer you. That way you're not limited to what's on a lot, you can look at private sales too.
    dv/dt

I had called them and the guy straight up told me they can't compete with the interest rates the dealerships can offer. I really don't want to go higher than 5%

If you are keeping the vehicle longer than ten years, a new vehicle makes good sense. With two kids and at times a couple of their friends I'd think something with three rows might be better. You could always get a vehicle with a hatch and a small trailer for the four times a year you need to go to the dump or picking up from Home Depot. Something AWD, three rows (fold flat at times), a hitch and a small used trailer is the way I'd go. Trucks are just overkill in the city unless you are a farmer or in the trades. Calgary is full of the all hat and no cattle mentality.

I'd go for a van myself, Honda, Toyota or Dodge if you are on a tighter budget. If a van is hard to get your head around, fair enough, go for a Highlander, Pilot, etc.

http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/...van-crew-plus/

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/...haulers/?all=1
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 03-24-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Originally posted by nonofyobiz
    I had called them and the guy straight up told me they can't compete with the interest rates the dealerships can offer. I really don't want to go higher than 5%
    He was probably talking about interest rates on new cars? And in that case he's absolutely correct, however when I looked into it last summer I ended up being quoted rates similar to what was offered by dealerships for the kinds of cars I was looking for (04-08 type of thing. I was also told the older the car, the higher the rate often is).

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    Trucks are just overkill in the city unless you are a farmer or in the trades. Calgary is full of the all hat and no cattle mentality.
    This is a stupid statement. For far too many reasons to get into.

As for the financing, check out credit unions as well, their rates seemed to be lower when I was getting ready to buy.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Have you considered the Honda Ridgeline? It's really versatile for a family of 4.

Originally posted by TopGearUK
    Have you considered the Honda Ridgeline? It's really versatile for a family of 4.
    Ew.... No.

Its gonna be, in descending order of likelyness...

Tundra
    Ram
    F150
    Tacoma
    Chevy
    Sienna / odessy

I've wanted a Ram for the last couple years but now I'm thinking 07 -08 Tundra. Then I get Toyota reliability and resale value, plus so many trashed the dodge caravans that I'm curious whether the Ram's have a similar quality.

Once I get a bigger vehicle I can look at upgrading the other one... Maybe look at a CRV or Rav4

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-03-2020 at 09:25 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

For those who have bought a used vehicle from a dealership, how much can you negotiate with them and how much can you negotiate if your are financing ???

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by nonofyobiz
    For those who have bought a used vehicle from a dealership, how much can you negotiate with them and how much can you negotiate if your are financing ???
    Financing or a cash deal won't make a difference on a used car. (Unless its a certified pre-owned with a super low interest rate).

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

What car(s) are you selling btw? I've got a nephew that needs a beater.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Buying a used, 5 year old toyota because of the high resale value makes no sense. If it has high resale, you want to buy new, if it has low resale, you want to buy used.

Supercab half ton is a great family vehicle. I have one, and it is excellent. Compare the rear seat room to any SUV, Wagon or van, and the truck wins almost any matchup.

Don't count the vans out. Go and drive an Odyssey, you will like it more than you think.

My house runs an F150 and an Odyssey. Both wonderful family vehicles.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

I never understood the idea of buying new. What worse possible investment could there be than losing 15-25% of its value the second you drive if off the lot??

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

I have a 2000 Acura EL, 4dr, Beige, manual trans. 216,000km.
    I'll be honest though there is a bit of oil consumption going on here and I regularly have to top it up . I'm also not 100% sure when I'm going to get rid of it. Might wait until june.
    Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    What car(s) are you selling btw? I've got a nephew that needs a beater.