Quantcast
2015 Audi A3/S3 Revealed (Sedan) - Page 26 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26 27 36 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Audi A3/S3 Revealed (Sedan)

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

What? The interior of the ATS impressed you? It felt like a pig with lipstick. And how anybody could ever like the CUE system with it's electro-static plastic HU, I have no idea. The entire centre dash is made from the same plastic as my noname brand permanent marker lids. Not to mind exposed foam around the seats, and un-centred cuts in the leather for the control covers.

I didn't mean to go for a rant there, but the ATS? best interior? I am having a very hard time agreeing there.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

Originally posted by Tomaz
    What? The interior of the ATS impressed you? It felt like a pig with lipstick. And how anybody could ever like the CUE system with it's electro-static plastic HU, I have no idea. The entire centre dash is made from the same plastic as my noname brand permanent marker lids. Not to mind exposed foam around the seats, and un-centred cuts in the leather for the control covers.

I didn't mean to go for a rant there, but the ATS? best interior? I am having a very hard time agreeing there.
    This is the exact same impression I got last year at the car show in the ATS. Interior was extremely cheap feeling and looking. The random people in the car with me at the show were making similar comments. I could move the entire center console, and the entire door panel/arm rest moved with a light tug. The last car I recall being able to do that in was a Cavalier. Materials were poor as well, and gaps were noticeable. Arm rest storage was limp and cheep feeling. The glove box and exterior door handles felt like they would snap off easily. The CUE system and it's ultra-cheap black piano plastic finish seems to be hated by every journalist. Switch gear was cheap. I just have no idea what people are seeing that makes it appear well put together. Different priorities I guess, each to their own.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Again, we're comparing the ATS coupe interior to the A3, CLA250, and the 228's. These are cheap interiors that we're comparing against, and the ATS is better. You guys have to realize that these entry level Germans have interiors with cheap plastics that looks cheap. The ATS coupe just looked less cheap.

Compare the ATS coupe interior to the new C200 and the ATS looks like shit.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Side by side compare between the S3 vs ATS coupe interiors.

Here are my points:

+ATS - Stitching. Its everywhere. From the armrest to the center console to the dash, to the doors. The S3 has minimal stitching. Stitching, even on plastic dashes, looks expensive.

+ATS - The dash materials have a leather look and feel to it. The S3 looks and feels like hard plastic to the touch.

+ATS - Center console, the integration of the screen + buttons makes sense. The S3 feels disconnected, and buttons added as an afterthought. It's broken apart, with no continuity anywhere. Also, the piano black plastic in the ATS looks 100x better than the cheap plastic in the S3. That plastic surrounds the center controls, the cup holder cover, cig lighter, etc. in the S3.

+S3 - Seat look and feel. The S3 looks sportier, and better designed.

+ATS - Actually sitting in the seats, the ATS is WAY more comfy. The S3 feels hard and cheap to the touch.

+S3 - The vents. The ATS looks outdated with its design.

I didn't play with the infotainment system on both cars, so I can't comment on usability.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

The A3/S3 use most of the exact same materials as the A8/S8 and the rest of their lineup . There was nothing cheap about it IMO. It was miles ahead of an ATS. Maybe we just look at things differently. It's without a doubt screwed together better (and doesn't have CUE haha).

The new C class looks incredible inside & out, I hope there is one at the car show for me to check out.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    The A3/S3 use most of the exact same materials as the A8/S8 and the rest of their lineup .
    If the A8 and S8 used that cheap looking plastic that covers the center of the A3, then you're getting ripped off. All 3 of the entry level Germans suffered from the same cheap plastic problem, even mentioned it in an earlier post:
    Originally posted by rage2
    Honestly, if the A3/S3 and the CLA250/45 changed the plastic in the center console to a textured plastic, it would make both interiors look expensive. Which is strange, because some of the CLA plastic on the door was textured and would fit nicely in the center console.
    Untextured grey plastic looks fucking cheap. Full stop. Doesn't take much to make it nicer, but neither 3 German brands decided to do that in their entry level cars, with BMW being by far the most guilty. Maybe textured plastics wear poorly, I dunno, but it's no different than the untextured plastics that's covering the Civic, ILX, etc. I didn't sit in the higher level Audis, but I would be surprised if that shitty plastic was in anything else at Audi.

Then there's the dash, the A3/S3 has this cheap plastic look and feel dash. There is no fucking way the A8 has that dash, it's gotta be leather on the A8. I was comparing it against the cheap CLA dash, and I believe the A/S3 looks more plasticy purely due to the pattern in the plastic, as well as deeper grooves in the cut. The CLA looks sorta like leather, but feels like plastic.

Speaking of BMW, wait till you see the checkered aluminum trim option that was in the M235i. It makes fake CF sticker covered interiors look expensive.

Seriously, you guys making these entry level cars sound as luxurious as higher level cars are seriously out to lunch.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Speaking of BMW, wait till you see the checkered aluminum trim option that was in the M235i. It makes fake CF sticker covered interiors look expensive.
    That was an option on the E46 cars. I don't remember it looking that bad.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    The A3/S3 use most of the exact same materials as the A8/S8 and the rest of their lineup
    I'm sure that somewhere in the A3 cabin is a material that is used somewhere in the A8, but you're delusional if you think that the interiors are anywhere even remotely close. I can't think of how to put the disparity into words, it is so significant.

The A3 delivers the same prestige and high-quality materials found in Audi's flagship sedan, the A8 with standard leather seating surfaces and exceptional ergonomics.
    Is this the quote you're basing that off of? If so, get your head out of your ass, it's marketing material. If you've got another source, please link it.

Regardless, you've been in an A3, haven't you? Have you been in an A8? I can't fathom how you could sit in the A3 and think "Yup, I can see the link to the A8. I can see how this is connected to the pinnacle of luxury". Just because it uses the same materials somewhere in the vehicle doesn't mean they're used as well or to the same effect.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by benyl
    That was an option on the E46 cars. I don't remember it looking that bad.
    Funny, Matt mentioned how the 235 reminded him of the E46. It doesn't look great in 2014.

The checkered aluminum pattern reminds me of the shitty fake CF pattern in the Yaris. The rep there said it's non reflective, which is a plus I guess. Still looks stupid. Interestingly enough, the 228 had brushed aluminum trim that looks way better.

Oh, and regarding the ATS, obviously I have no idea how any of these interiors will hold up to, you know, actual use. These are show cars, designed to impress. They'd be retarded if they didn't go through and make sure everything was put together properly. I don't doubt that the ATS is capable of falling apart within a few thousand kilometers and I'm sure the German interiors will stand up better to the test of time. All we're talking about here is how it looks and feels on the showroom floor though.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Mibz did sit in the S8, and got pics.

Interesting, it shares the same expensive looking piano black center trim pieces as the ATS.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Seriously, you guys making these entry level cars sound as luxurious as higher level cars are seriously out to lunch.
    So, I must admit that my comparison are not of the models you were comparing to, so my information might be a bit dated. I will have to play around with the newest models coming out and will reassess then.

From playing around with ATS, Q50, A4, IS250, and 328I, I can certainly put the ATS and the very bottom of my list. I am having trouble deciding if it was the materials I hated, or how the pieces fit together. I found most entry-luxury brands at least show some sort of care and attention used in fitting the parts together. Yes, they all use cheap plastics, but at least Lexus, Audi, and Mrec, the parts don't rattle, or bend. Everything seems secure, fastened, and has great fitment. The ATS showed me that all they wanted to do is adhere some softer material to a Malibu's interior and call it a day. In fact, I enjoyed the interior of my first car much more than the ATS, and that was a 1996 Ford Taurus LX. lol

There is one thing I will 100% agree with you though: What the fuck is with the faux checkered aluminum trim in the BMW? I had a hard time looking at the salesperson with a straight face when he told me the cost of the car I was in cleared $50k.

Interior impressions:

Lexus IS250 > A4 > 328 > Q50 > ATS

So either Caddy stepped up their game in the last 3 months, or the model I drove was a mangled prototype that was accidently sent to Jack Carter instead of the crusher.
    Last edited by Tomaz; 01-15-2014 at 11:50 AM.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Interesting, it shares the same expensive looking piano black center trim pieces as the ATS.
    Oh god my eyes!!!!!!! That is horrible! That centre console would be destroyed by the time I took it home.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

So, I must admit that my comparison are not of the models you were comparing to, so my information might be a bit dated. I will have to play around with the newest models coming out and will reassess then.

From playing around with ATS, Q50, A4, IS250, and 328I, I can certainly put the ATS and the very bottom of my list.

Interior impressions:

Lexus IS250 > A4 > 328 > Q50 > ATS
    Again, we're comparing the ATS to the A3/CLA/BMW 2 simply because it was priced similar. I wouldn't be surprised that the ATS isn't as nice compared to the higher models from other brands. I didn't get a chance to do those comparisons, aside from ATS vs C, and the C blew it out of the water.

My Ride
    Exploded.

I'm not a fan of the piano black trim. Leaves fingerprints EVERYWHERE.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks for the sharing guys, sounded like an awesome time checking out all the new toys!

So if someone handed you $60,000 for a new car, would it be Audi S3 or CLA45AMG?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Again, we're comparing the ATS to the A3/CLA/BMW 2 simply because it was priced similar. I wouldn't be surprised that the ATS isn't as nice compared to the higher models from other brands. I didn't get a chance to do those comparisons, aside from ATS vs C, and the C blew it out of the water.
    Its funny you mention that, because the cheapest ATS I tested was $44k, and the others I mentioned I got down to $40k or less (just dealer-standard options played a role too) So really, I did the same thing? lol.

Was there much of a difference between interior quality from A3 to the S3?
    Beyond's Most Wanted

Originally posted by msommers
    So if someone handed you $60,000 for a new car, would it be Audi S3 or CLA45AMG?
    It would completely depend on driving both. The differences in look, feel and specs aren't significant enough for me to say one is better than the other.
    Was there much of a difference between interior quality from A3 to the S3?
    Nope. Very similar. Different seats and colour scheme were the only things that stood out, IIRC. I'd have to look at pics to remember for sure.

Not a fan of that either. I don't like glossy/shiny anything in any car. At least that area is matte in the S3. Hopefully A/S8 owners opt for the wood instead, or something else:

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-15-2014 at 12:24 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Oh god my eyes!!!!!!! That is horrible! That centre console would be destroyed by the time I took it home.
    I'm not a big fan of Piano black. I have that around the MMI knob area and it's scratch to hell. I should have 3M'd that area.

IMO, A3/S3's dash material is the weak point. I knew it on the 1st appearance in press photo on it's debut and confirmed that on the dealer event last week.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-15-2014 at 12:24 PM.

Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26 27 36 ... LastLast