Quantcast
Badlands Motorsports Resort - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Badlands Motorsports Resort

I can't believe anyone would want to build a motorsports resort anywhere near Drumheller. Why not build it somewhere closer to the city? If it's supposed to be a first class "resort" then build it in a first class area. IMHO. Just wondering if you bought the least expensive land within 2 hours of the city? Wonderful idea, but as far as location goes, I feel it's severely lacking.
    Last edited by Agera_56; 06-20-2013 at 12:41 AM.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by Agera_56
    I can't believe anyone would want to build a motorsports resort anywhere near Drumheller. Why not build it somewhere closer to the city? If it's supposed to be a first class "resort" then build it in a first class area. IMHO. Just wondering if you bought the least expensive land within 2 hours of the city? Wonderful idea, but as far as location goes, I feel it's severely lacking.
    Numerous closer locations have been attempted and failed to pass...there's a lot of NIMBY's in Alberta.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

This has been addressed, oh I don't know, a trillion times now? The municipalities close to the city have shown they have zero interest in such a facility.

When I'm in California visiting my folks I spend time traveling to the various facilities down there depending on what events are on. People travel what equates to the same distance as the Badlands project will be from Calgary on a regular basis and much farther, and never say anything about it.

From L.A, Fontana Raceway is an hour or so, Chuckwalla is almost three. Yet day after day I meet people at those facilities that have traveled from even farther than L.A.

I really don't see this facilities location being a major issue. Those that have the money will spend it and will travel.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

This has been addressed, oh I don't know, a trillion times now? The municipalities close to the city have shown they have zero interest in such a facility.

When I'm in California visiting my folks I spend time traveling to the various facilities down there depending on what events are on. People travel what equates to the same distance as the Badlands project will be from Calgary on a regular basis and much farther, and never say anything about it.

From L.A, Fontana Raceway is an hour or so, Chuckwalla is almost three. Yet day after day I meet people at those facilities that have traveled from even farther than L.A.

I really don't see this facilities location being a major issue. Those that have the money will spend it and will travel.
    No doubt, I consider this close even for where I live! There isnt much hope of getting anything built close, so we might as well get used to it. There were rumblings of a track being built on the "Active Mountain" stage of the Pacific forest rally in Merritt, which would have been within an hour of home for me, but that was apparently abandoned in 2011 due to lack of investors.

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/2...racetrack-plan

My apologies that I wasn't clearer on my last thread.

Personally, distance has never been an obstacle when it comes to having a first class place to race. I am new to Calgary, so I did a little homework and took a drive out to the area a few weeks ago. The town of Rosebud has virtually no amenities and Drumheller........well, you can tell it caters to relatives of those who are in the local penitentiary, which in itself is a concern for me given the calibre of vehicles involved in this venture.

On the Badlands Motorsports Resort website and it says there will be a food court, vending machines plus a first class restaurant. I like diversity, so having reasonable access to a few good restaurants would be a bonus. It doesn't look like Drumheller offers much. My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy). As far as tourist attractions go, the only things interesting seem like the Rosebud Theatre and the museum in Drumheller. Horseshoe Canyon was great, but we've seen it once and that's enough.

We took a short cut to the land which cut off some travelling time, but the road in from the South of the property is sorely inadequate, even if paved.

Definitely, Calgary and area needs a first class resort like this and by the sounds of it, the people with Badlands Motorsports know what they're talking about when it comes to race course design, etc. My question to them is, and with all due respect, what were you thinking when you chose this area? From what I've seen, a location either North or South of Calgary would be much more appealling. I realize West of the city is probably out of the question due to land values; but for a first class resort, I believe location is a huge factor that contributes to any successful venture.

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

My apologies that I wasn't clearer on my last thread.

Personally, distance has never been an obstacle when it comes to having a first class place to race. I am new to Calgary, so I did a little homework and took a drive out to the area a few weeks ago. The town of Rosebud has virtually no amenities and Drumheller........well, you can tell it caters to relatives of those who are in the local penitentiary, which in itself is a concern for me given the calibre of vehicles involved in this venture.

On the Badlands Motorsports Resort website and it says there will be a food court, vending machines plus a first class restaurant. I like diversity, so having reasonable access to a few good restaurants would be a bonus. It doesn't look like Drumheller offers much. My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy). As far as tourist attractions go, the only things interesting seem like the Rosebud Theatre and the museum in Drumheller. Horseshoe Canyon was great, but we've seen it once and that's enough.

We took a short cut to the land which cut off some travelling time, but the road in from the South of the property is sorely inadequate, even if paved.

Definitely, Calgary and area needs a first class resort like this and by the sounds of it, the people with Badlands Motorsports know what they're talking about when it comes to race course design, etc. My question to them is, and with all due respect, what were you thinking when you chose this area? From what I've seen, a location either North or South of Calgary would be much more appealling. I realize West of the city is probably out of the question due to land values; but for a first class resort, I believe location is a huge factor that contributes to any successful venture.
    With all due respect, and not to be rude, but have you paid any attention to what people here are saying? Do you assume that people are stupid and didn't consider land near the city? You seem to think that the OBVIOUS things you point out are somehow foreign to people. Do you really think the backers behind the Badlands resort are that daft? Give them some credit buddy - they aren't idiots like you seem to suggest.

The problem isn't land values like you assume and it's not that people haven't already considered, or already tried, to put a track close to Calgary. Hell, we used to have a track right in the city and couldn't get the city council to stop trying to break the lease! Eventually they got their way and put the track down.

There was even one non profit that had a modest track plan that was near the city, would have community benefit in the way of a farmers market/bmx track/air cadet parade grounds and because it was a non profit they would have given any excess revenue directly to the coffers of the MD. What happened? The plan got killed by the MD.

So far there is no political will in the city or MD's near the city that are willing to allow a track. That is the NIMBY (not in my back yard) mentality.

On whole other point, who gives a shit about tourist attractions? What tourist attactions are there at Willow Springs? You won't support a track because your wife won't have someplace to shop? Are you kidding me? Do you know how, I don't know how to say it any other way, dumb that sounds? If your wife doesn't want to go to the track then she could always stay home. Or better yet, get her a helmet and get her on the track with you!

All I am getting at is the guys who complain about Badlands are either a) deluded into thinking they are geniuses who know far more than the guys who have actually made a living developing properties or b) enviro nazi's who are against anything that doesn't involve living in a grass hut and running naked with wolves or c) live a too spoiled or privileged life to understand that sometimes you don't need a Starbucks/Michael Korrs/Aveda within spitting distance.

Originally posted by soloracer

With all due respect, and not to be rude, but have you paid any attention to what people here are saying? Do you assume that people are stupid and didn't consider land near the city? You seem to think that the OBVIOUS things you point out are somehow foreign to people. Do you really think the backers behind the Badlands resort are that daft? Give them some credit buddy - they aren't idiots like you seem to suggest.

The problem isn't land values like you assume and it's not that people haven't already considered, or already tried, to put a track close to Calgary. Hell, we used to have a track right in the city and couldn't get the city council to stop trying to break the lease! Eventually they got their way and put the track down.

There was even one non profit that had a modest track plan that was near the city, would have community benefit in the way of a farmers market/bmx track/air cadet parade grounds and because it was a non profit they would have given any excess revenue directly to the coffers of the MD. What happened? The plan got killed by the MD.

So far there is no political will in the city or MD's near the city that are willing to allow a track. That is the NIMBY (not in my back yard) mentality.

On whole other point, who gives a shit about tourist attractions? What tourist attactions are there at Willow Springs? You won't support a track because your wife won't have someplace to shop? Are you kidding me? Do you know how, I don't know how to say it any other way, dumb that sounds? If your wife doesn't want to go to the track then she could always stay home. Or better yet, get her a helmet and get her on the track with you!

All I am getting at is the guys who complain about Badlands are either a) deluded into thinking they are geniuses who know far more than the guys who have actually made a living developing properties or b) enviro nazi's who are against anything that doesn't involve living in a grass hut and running naked with wolves or c) live a too spoiled or privileged life to understand that sometimes you don't need a Starbucks/Michael Korrs/Aveda within spitting distance.
    Soloracer…….. I am neither a, b, or c but someone who has been through the development process and have dealt with NIMBY’s before (yes, I know what that means). I have also dealt with municipalities who have tight planning regulations, so I understand the issues you speak of. I’m simply a prospective investor / racing enthusiast and I'm doing my homework.

Speaking of homework, I just Googled the project to check on the progress and this letter from the Alberta Wilderness Association came up. It sounds like the developers may have some huge environmental issues to deal with. It doesn’t sound promising:
    http://albertawilderness.ca/issues/w...-rosebud-river

According to this letter, Badlands Motorsports might have to re-consider their location.

I’ll ignore your other rude comments and I’ll consider the source.
    Last edited by Agera_56; 06-20-2013 at 06:22 PM.

My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys)
    Shit I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Where do these people come from? Drop the bitch off a Crossiron Mills on the way then. I know when I'm at a first class racing facility my first concern is whether my wife has somewhere to shop lol. Do you put a saddle on and let her ride you around the house as well? Fuck I'm still laughing at that entire post.

My Ride
    is wild

Shit I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Where do these people come from? Drop the bitch off a Crossiron Mills on the way then. I know when I'm at a first class racing facility my first concern is whether my wife has somewhere to shop lol. Do you put a saddle on and let her ride you around the house as well? Fuck I'm still laughing at that entire post.
    Lol

Quoted for the truth

I guess they overlooked the dino museum, which is just a minor attraction...

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

Originally posted by m10-power

Lol

Quoted for the truth

I guess they overlooked the dino museum, which is just a minor attraction...
    Shaking my head here and chuckling. M10-Power, I didn't overlook the dino museum, you didn't read the whole post. Why does that not surprise me?

rx7_turbo2, I was warned about the ignorant red necks in Alberta, but I didn't think I'd meet up with one so soon.

I looks like this development is going to attract boys like you. If in fact it goes through, which I highly doubt by reading the latest news stories.

You've confirmed why I'm going to stick with international venues.

Originally posted by JZatBMR

No where does it say "massive consequences".

Development has impacts. You cannot change the use of land without having impacts. Responsible development takes all measures that are required to mitigate impact to levels that are acceptable and within establish guidelines , rules and laws. When you are developing in a sensitive area, and under a microscope, that requires even more diligence to the process.

This is not to say that development can't occur.

JZatBMR........in this recent letter from the Alberta Wilderness Association" to Kneehill County it doesn't say "massive consequences", it says:

"The intent of the Kneehill County ESA Report cited extensively above is an important measure in the protection of native biodiversity and environmental health. Specifically with regard to the recommendation to avoid development (including intensive recreational use – for which this proposal certainly does qualify) in ESA lands rated ESA-1. AWA believes this type of development is far better left to already disturbed and cultivated areas.

Thus AWA is writing to register our serious concern with the proposed development. We would like to obtain a copy of any environmental impact assessment undertaken for this project and what factors will be considered in any decision to approve this motorsports resort in a prime natural, undisturbed setting. We will appreciate your timely response."

Here is the link to the full letter:

Damn.......sorry to hear this......definitely not good news!

You've confirmed why I'm going to stick with international venues.
    Okay you do that.

This can't be a real person right? You're a troll?

You don't like the proposed facility because:

1) There's nowhere for your wife to shop.
    2) It's proximity to the penitentiary.

I read your post to my wife, her words? "Wow I feel sorry for him".

"Because my wife has nowhere to shop" Shit that still has me laughing!!! That post will be a constant source of entertainment today as I show it to literally everyone I know.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Okay you do that.

This can't be a real person right? You're a troll?

You don't like the proposed facility because:

1) There's nowhere for your wife to shop.
    2) It's proximity to the penitentiary.

I read your post to my wife, her words? "Wow I feel sorry for him".

"Because my wife has nowhere to shop" Shit that still has me laughing!!! That post will be a constant source of entertainment today as I show it to literally everyone I know.
    It is just a troll who joined to post in this thread.

Originally posted by GTS4tw

It is just a troll who joined to post in this thread.
    I'm glad you girls think I'm so funny. I didn't think you would be so easily entertained.

My Ride
    Ferrari 458 spider, E63, 997tt, Z06, Exige, EvoX

JZatBMR........in this recent letter from the Alberta Wilderness Association" to Kneehill County it doesn't say "massive consequences", it says:

"The intent of the Kneehill County ESA Report cited extensively above is an important measure in the protection of native biodiversity and environmental health. Specifically with regard to the recommendation to avoid development (including intensive recreational use – for which this proposal certainly does qualify) in ESA lands rated ESA-1. AWA believes this type of development is far better left to already disturbed and cultivated areas.

Thus AWA is writing to register our serious concern with the proposed development. We would like to obtain a copy of any environmental impact assessment undertaken for this project and what factors will be considered in any decision to approve this motorsports resort in a prime natural, undisturbed setting. We will appreciate your timely response."

Here is the link to the full letter:

Damn.......sorry to hear this......definitely not good news!

The AWA didn't do much due diligence when they wrote this letter. None of the land we own, let alone propose to develop, is designated ESA-1.

With regards to the current road, it will require much more infrastructure to reach the site than just paving. Standards based on traffic and the type of vehicles that will be coming to the facility of course need to be adhered to. The road in from the south, as discussed in the ASP, is not a viable access route and could not be used in any circumstances.

The location was chosen for the setting as well as the remarkable elevation changes possible.
    Last edited by JZatBMR; 06-24-2013 at 11:57 PM.
    Badlands Motorsports Resort
    CEO

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-20-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Didn't take long for your motive to shake out
    That's now the 3rd or 4th person to come in this thread and "pretend" they're a motorsports enthusiast, but oppose the construction of the faciltiy on some other grounds ie) non existant enviromental issues.

Turns out Agera_56 used his wife's shopping preferences as a red herring for his true opposition. Man every time I read that "wife has nowhere to shop" line I chuckle out loud, what a complete dip shit.

Thanks again to the representative from Badlands (JZ) for addressing the AWA report. I've said it a couple times now, this appears to be our best chance at a facility even remotely close to Calgary. This group has certainly done their due diligence that's for sure.

My Ride
    is wild

That's now the 3rd or 4th person to come in this thread and "pretend" they're a motorsports enthusiast, but oppose the construction of the faciltiy on some other grounds ie) non existant enviromental issues.

Turns out Agera_56 used his wife's shopping preferences as a red herring for his true opposition. Man every time I read that "wife has nowhere to shop" line I chuckle out loud, what a complete dip shit.

Thanks again to the representative from Badlands (JZ) for addressing the AWA report. I've said it a couple times now, this appears to be our best chance at a facility even remotely close to Calgary. This group has certainly done their due diligence that's for sure.
    Yes all posts in this on thread, a valuable member of the forum. Likely has more posts in the home shopping networks forum, you know to keep his wife happy...
    Too bad he isnt going to come to this track, but instead attend international venues...haha what a sandy vag

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

My Ride
    '03 S2000

From Jay:

3rd and final reading passed this morning, so our Area Structure Plan is now a Bylaw in Kneehill county.

Common sense and logic won out in the end - heaven forbid.

As for that public hearing: I have never in my life heard so much outright lying and bs in a single day on the part of the opponents. Simply unbelievable.

I would be absolutely ashamed of myself had I stood up in front of an audience and said such things (quite frankly I would not dare!) ... often without knowledge notably. Shame on them!

This is a respectable and respectful proposal on the part of BMR and did not deserve that audience!

R
    "I don't look for something; I find something" - Picasso

My Ride
    Has AWD

congrats!!!!!!!!! we need this!!!!

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast