Quantcast
Badlands Motorsports Resort - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Badlands Motorsports Resort

My Ride
    '03 S2000

By the way, note that the BMR consultants are open to hearing legitimate concerns and questions that are expressed respectfully (anything but at the public hearing)....make sense etc.

Any reasonable human being would be respectful of the environment I think.

But if there is not some reasonableness and respectfulness displayed? Hostility, unreasonableness, "us vs them" mentality? Go away ... to the moon or whatever? What does that sound like?

Why not embrace a "let's look at the issues/problems" together and see if we can come up with some reasonable alternatives, ways of doing things, and see if we can come up with a better win-win solution? We like better solutions. Thus far I have not seen that. It is possible you know.

R
    "I don't look for something; I find something" - Picasso

My Ride
    a couple S/C'd V8's

https://www.facebook.com/helpsavetherosebud

Know thy Enemy, they're hoping to bring attention and get the media on their side, check their childish background image at the top...

But to support the cause for a Track development, join/like/follow https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badla...rsports-Resort

My Ride
    e39 ///M5 || MK7R

Originally posted by MGCM
    how soon till land developement can start?
    Only ASP is complete. They would still have to go through the land use redesignation process which involves another public hearing. This process involves changing the land use from a ranch and farm to probably something more suitable. If that is approved, then they would probably have to apply for a Development Permit. As part of the Development Permit, if approved, there would be a series of conditions that the developer would have to meet before construction can start.
    KWVII Coilovers||Carbon Fiber Grille||20% Tint||Iforged Daytona||19X8 19X10||RDSport Race Exhaust||Vorsteiner Front Lip||Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser II||GP Thunders 8500K||ACS Roof Spoiler||CF Mirror Covers||

My Ride
    Ferrari 458 spider, E63, 997tt, Z06, Exige, EvoX

Originally posted by ercchry
    wasnt everything broken down earlier?

get approval
    get investors/sell memberships
    get the core track done
    get out buildings done
    get residential done

This is mostly correct.

Although the approval process is somewhat complex. To get land rezoned for a project like this, we applied for our Area Structure Plan to be adopted as a land use Bylaw and the land to be rezoned into a Direct Control District, which is a separate Bylaw.

The County has the right to vote on each Bylaw separately or together. We had hoped that they would be voted on concurrently, but they decided to do them separately.

Today was the final hearing of the Area Structure Plan bylaw, and it passed and is now a Bylaw. They also voted today on our rezoning into a Direct Control District, and that passed as well. There still has to be 2 more hearings on that, so this will push everything back a few months.

Without going into all the details, this was definitely the biggest hurdle in the approval process. The issues that each Bylaw addresses are separate.
    Badlands Motorsports Resort
    CEO

My Ride
    e39 ///M5 || MK7R

^
    You have be to cautious. It is election time and you could possibly have a completely different council with different opinions.
    KWVII Coilovers||Carbon Fiber Grille||20% Tint||Iforged Daytona||19X8 19X10||RDSport Race Exhaust||Vorsteiner Front Lip||Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser II||GP Thunders 8500K||ACS Roof Spoiler||CF Mirror Covers||

Originally posted by JZatBMR

This is mostly correct.

Although the approval process is somewhat complex. To get land rezoned for a project like this, we applied for our Area Structure Plan to be adopted as a land use Bylaw and the land to be rezoned into a Direct Control District, which is a separate Bylaw.

The County has the right to vote on each Bylaw separately or together. We had hoped that they would be voted on concurrently, but they decided to do them separately.

Today was the final hearing of the Area Structure Plan bylaw, and it passed and is now a Bylaw. They also voted today on our rezoning into a Direct Control District, and that passed as well. There still has to be 2 more hearings on that, so this will push everything back a few months.

Without going into all the details, this was definitely the biggest hurdle in the approval process. The issues that each Bylaw addresses are separate.
    Thanks for continuing to fight for motorsports enthusiasts province wide. It is unfortunate that so many residents of the Rosebud area feel that the use and enjoyment of the area should be exclusive to them and them alone.

I just read through much of the "save the rosebud" facebook page. Pretty shoddy attempts to deride and trivialize all the hard work you and your crew have put in over the years... I don't suppose any of the save the rosebud followers would give 2 shits that I and many others I know had to wipe away a few tears at our last ever Race City events - some of my oldest childhood memories are from being trackside with my dad and brother. I hope you are able to convince the county to look past the emotion and see the reason.

Somewhat hypocritical I suppose, but I hope you are successful. I spent a lot of time with my family at Race City, and I would love to have a venue that brings that opportunity back and I strongly believe that Badlands is the most viable option out there.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Originally posted by 962 kid

Thanks for continuing to fight for motorsports enthusiasts province wide. It is unfortunate that so many residents of the Rosebud area feel that the use and enjoyment of the area should be exclusive to them and them alone.

I just read through much of the "save the rosebud" facebook page. Pretty shoddy attempts to deride and trivialize all the hard work you and your crew have put in over the years... I don't suppose any of the save the rosebud followers would give 2 shits that I and many others I know had to wipe away a few tears at our last ever Race City events - some of my oldest childhood memories are from being trackside with my dad and brother. I hope you are able to convince the county to look past the emotion and see the reason.

Somewhat hypocritical I suppose, but I hope you are successful. I spent a lot of time with my family at Race City, and I would love to have a venue that brings that opportunity back and I strongly believe that Badlands is the most viable option out there.
    That is a very good perspective and puts a very real face on us as people. Racing is the 2nd largest sport in the world is what I read just recently. It is sad that we have to fight to have places to race. There is something just wrong with that.

Furthermore, a lot of significant automobile development never mind driving ability/techniques come from racing! i teach winter and other driving schools for the general public and racers. We have something to offer to anyone of any age that can literary save lives! Driving is the most dangerous thing we do on a daily basis. There are thousands of people who die on this continent and hundreds of thousands who are hurt and maimed in collisions (note that I do not say "accidents"!).....and most are preventable. We, as racers, have knowledge for whomever wants to learn, to share. We would be more than happy to share!

Anyway, rant off ....

Reijo
    "I don't look for something; I find something" - Picasso

Originally posted by m10-power

Yes all posts in this on thread, a valuable member of the forum. Likely has more posts in the home shopping networks forum, you know to keep his wife happy...
    Too bad he isnt going to come to this track, but instead attend international venues...haha what a sandy vag

I think it's quite humorous that you guys are having fun with the fact that my wife is a shopper and that my family usually joins me when I go racing. It truly shows your low-level mentality, which doesn't draw me to wanting to be a member.

Apparently you have overlooked the other pertinent reasons that other successful resorts have covered.

- No diversity in restaurants / amenities in the area
    - Lack of tourist attractions
    - Poor access to the development
    - Drumheller is NOT one of the more appealing cities in Alberta
    - Rosebud is a dinner theatre town.
    - Strathmore..........unappealing
    - Three Hills........unappealing

Again, location is SEVERELY LACKING!

Jay, I’m sure you’ve researched what some of the successful resorts are doing in the U.S. and abroad. Personally, I wouldn't be buying up any land there anytime soon and, sorry, I don't think I'll be investing in this one. Not only do I feel there would be better locations available, the mentality of your followers is quite boorish.

If you would consider looking at alternative locations, I'd be interested in investing because it is a much needed development near Calgary.

Originally posted by Agera_56

Jay, I’m sure you’ve researched what some of the successful resorts are doing in the U.S. and abroad. Personally, I wouldn't be buying up any land there anytime soon and, sorry, I don't think I'll be investing in this one. Not only do I feel there would be better locations available, the mentality of your followers is quite boorish.

If you would consider looking at alternative locations, I'd be interested in investing because it is a much needed development near Calgary.
    Leaving your thunder-whippedness aside, the location argument is a pretty empty one. Nobody wants a race track in their backyard due to noise worries (which is funny, as former alderman mcivor told me that he had received a grand total of 0 complaints during his run as the MP of the area where race city was. Emotion trumps facts as usual). Noone else has been successful in getting permission to build a track from nearby counties/MDs and it is not due to lack of effort.

There is another potential track that is looking to open near airdrie, but a customer of ours has been on-site at both locations and says the badlands location is far superior. Then again he is a motorsports enthusiast which explains your differing opinions.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

I think it's quite humorous that you guys are having fun with the fact that my wife is a shopper and that my family usually joins me when I go racing. It truly shows your low-level mentality, which doesn't draw me to wanting to be a member.

Apparently you have overlooked the other pertinent reasons that other successful resorts have covered.

Oh enough already. Nobody here believes you are, or ever have been a motorsports enthusiast. Your diatribe is incredibly transparent. At this point I'm beginning to think maybe the wife is posting. "My wife has nowhere to shop" oh man that was a classic, still chuckling, legendary post that was! I'm not sure that will ever get old.
    Last edited by rx7_turbo2; 06-25-2013 at 09:55 PM.

My Ride
    is wild

This is pretty laughable, again. Lets start listing some of these race tracks you attend which have shopping centres close by. Interestingly I've been to a large number of tracks around NW/SW USA and they are not exactly in nice cities, a few exceptions. Laguna Seca being probably the best as it's just outside of town, but still that's a long way to go to have fun at a track. I'd rather my wife stays in Calgary and shops if she must while I drive 1.5 hours to a track for the day.

Back to the real issue, we have no track now, this is the only viable option for the long term. I could give a shit if it was in the absolute middle of no where with only a bag lunch brought by me as long as I can run my cars on a race track. Within reasonable distance from home, RCMP was ~1 hour drive from my house so this isn't a big deal.
    Last edited by m10-power; 06-25-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

so... in the mountains we have these things called... ski resorts... yeah. they are in the middle of buttfuck no where, normally up a twisty road. they take HOURS to get to from major centres.

what they offer?

well... they have frozen water... on a hill. yeah people ski there i guess. at the base they normally have somewhere to get a drink, and a hot meal... if you are lucky you can pickup some gear you may have forgot at home at ONE shop.

the fancy ones have hotel rooms... and the rare ones have vacation properties on them... closest place to get groceries even is on average ~20min by car.... these "urban" areas might have a couple hotels... maybe a pub, a few restaurants...

for whatever reason 100s of thousands of people flock to these frozen amenity lacking hellholes in the dead of winter... its beyond me how these terrible business models survive year after year

My Ride
    is wild

^ thats a good point as well

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone not going to a race track because their wife would have no place to shop...
    Last edited by m10-power; 06-25-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

so... in the mountains we have these things called... ski resorts... yeah. they are in the middle of buttfuck no where, normally up a twisty road. they take HOURS to get to from major centres.

what they offer?

well... they have frozen water... on a hill. yeah people ski there i guess. at the base they normally have somewhere to get a drink, and a hot meal... if you are lucky you can pickup some gear you may have forgot at home at ONE shop.

the fancy ones have hotel rooms... and the rare ones have vacation properties on them... closest place to get groceries even is on average ~20min by car.... these "urban" areas might have a couple hotels... maybe a pub, a few restaurants...

for whatever reason 100s of thousands of people flock to these frozen amenity lacking hellholes in the dead of winter... its beyond me how these terrible business models survive year after year
    100's of thousands flock there because any area with a ski hill would be near a mountain and mountains are appealing locations and are tourist attractions, in case you didn't know. Drumheller??? Badlands? You said it.......in the middle of buttfuck no where. With no mountains. Thanks for helping me make my point.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

100's of thousands flock there because any area with a ski hill would be near a mountain and mountains are appealing locations and are tourist attractions, in case you didn't know. Drumheller??? Badlands? You said it.......in the middle of buttfuck no where. With no mountains. Thanks for helping me make my point.
    uh... right, im not talking about the bus loads of asian tourists in a historical town... im talking about RESORTS in BUTTFUCK NO WHERE that people go to for ONE sole purpose...

you clearly are not getting it

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Ha! And i almost forgot about the ring... once upon a time it was profitable, then some genus decided that it needed more attractions... like a god damn amusement park, now look at it...

uh... right, im not talking about the bus loads of asian tourists in a historical town... im talking about RESORTS in BUTTFUCK NO WHERE that people go to for ONE sole purpose...

you clearly are not getting it

Who in the world would consider the Rocky Mountains to be in "Buttfuck Nowhere"? Are you kidding me???

Urban dictionary defiinition of Buttfuck Nowhere: The middle of nowhere. Usually used in the context of a small town on the outskirts of an urban area, or a rural area, esp. one with a low degree of cultural development or sophistication.

That pretty much sums up the current location choice. BFN

Thanks again for helping me make my point. Much appreciated.

Thanks for helping me make my point.
    You have a point? I thought we had all agreed you were just a troll with a bitch of a wife, no idea what makes a decent motorsports facility, and an inability to think rationally and find compromise is what seems like a fairly straight forward situation.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

oh im sorry, i didnt realize cranbrook, fernie, invermere, revy, lake louise, etc, etc were such major hubs of trade and commerce

you dont really have a point...

and if mountains make you so hard... why dont we look at ski resorts out east?

oh im sorry, i didnt realize cranbrook, fernie, invermere, revy, lake louise, etc, etc were such major hubs of trade and commerce

you dont really have a point...

and if mountains make you so hard... why dont we look at ski resorts out east?
    I think it's pretty clear this clown is just some nimbly who thought they'd open an account on this forum, try and convince us this was a bad spot for a facility because all our trophy wives wouldn't have anywhere to shop. Then when that tactic was met with a roar of laughter they started in with the typical enviro diatribe. Now that's been addressed and discredited and they really have nothing left but nonsense.

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast