Quantcast
Android/Windows Phone Advice - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Android/Windows Phone Advice

My Ride
    Grimace

I would almost say try android now and wait until windows 10 to try a windows phone.

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by shakalaka
    Decided to revive this thread from the dead in order to get some phone advice...

Currently have a BB Passport and iPhone 6 that I switch between and like them both. But the itch for something different has started again and the fact that I still haven't owned a Windows phone essentially needs to be changed.

So just wondering what good Windows phones are available now? I would want it to have the Nano SIM so I can switch between them easily without having to change SIM cards every time. That's pretty much my only must have requirements, rest of course faster, better the features more I'd like it. I think eventually I'll get an Android too (and might do that if can't find anything decent Windows option) but for now I'd like to see if I can try Windows.

Thanks guys!
    In Canada, officially the Lumia 830 is about it as far as nano-sim "flagship" phone. It's however a mid-range phone. While I do like my Lumia 830 overall, I do find it lacking a bit in the camera dept compared to other Lumia 9xx devices (I preferred the camera on my 920).

Not officially available in Canada, but Lumia 930 also uses nano sim and is IMHO the flagship WP device right now. (specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_930-6227.php)

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

You're welcome

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    This and that.

Thanks Hampstor. I compared the two side by side on gsmarena and I agree the 930 has way better features. Just double the RAM and memory is enough for me. I will check it out online and say if I can order it. Do you know if it'll be compatible with Fido's LTE and everything will work fine?

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by jwslam
    You're welcome

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Hmm I didn't even think about these. Not a bad idea. If I get one of these, how does it changes options for the available Windows phones?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by shakalaka
    Hmm I didn't even think about these. Not a bad idea. If I get one of these, how does it changes options for the available Windows phones?
    Save $200
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.305260100

My Ride
    This and that.

So that's the best Windows phone out still? Where do I get that adapter from? That Lumia looks nice but damn Yellow is ugly!

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Why don't you get a cheap winter beater Window Phone and keep the iPhone6?

Too many sketchy moments due to iOS.

My Ride
    GTIR->SE-R->RDX->SLT->S60->LS460

Just got the Lumia 930 and I personally love it.

http://www.amazon.ca/Nokia-Lumia-930...ords=lumia+930

Bought a 1020 from Darkone here just to try out the Windows phone to see if I liked it before committing.

Plus on the Win10 announcement, Windows phones get a free upgrade to Windows 10 (if the hardware can handle it). This sealed it for me.

EDIT: It's also compatible with Rogers LTE 2600mhz band, not sure about Fido though....
    Stupidity is a disease we all have, it's like a form of brain herpes. Outbreaks will occasionally occur.

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by blitz
    Why don't you get a cheap winter beater Window Phone and keep the iPhone6?
    I am keeping the iPhone 6 and the Passport. Just wanted to try out a nice Windows phone to see what the OS is all about as I've never had one before. I want it to be good because if I like it, I will put it on the rotation list with my other phones. lol

Originally posted by nissanK
    Just got the Lumia 930 and I personally love it.

http://www.amazon.ca/Nokia-Lumia-930...ords=lumia+930

Bought a 1020 from Darkone here just to try out the Windows phone to see if I liked it before committing.

Plus on the Win10 announcement, Windows phones get a free upgrade to Windows 10 (if the hardware can handle it). This sealed it for me.

EDIT: It's also compatible with Rogers LTE 2600mhz band, not sure about Fido though....
    So the 930 is better than 1020? Are both of them upgradeable to Windows 10 or just the 930? I like the looks of the 930 better but the smaller size of the 1020. 930 has a faster processor which is obviously good but the 1020 has a better camera. So trying to figure out what I like best.

My Ride
    Exploded.

930>1020

1020 has a gimmick camera, which is superb but bulky.

I have the new entry-level 735, which I 'upgraded' from a 920.

New WP OS is awesome.

Comparison between 930 and what I have right now:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=6639

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Just to chime in...

I love my Lumia 1020 (Nokia sent me one before they were released). I'm still loving it. The camera is effin AMAZING.

I used to never care about picture quality as long as it was decent. Never been a photo guy. But since I got this thing, I LOVE IT!!!!!! And won't stop taking pictures.

Taking pictures in low light environments without a flash is AMAZINGGGGG. Came out with a couple sick pictures from my Banff trip, taking pictures of the fairmont without a flash at night time, just absolutely beautiful.

Fits in pocket perfectly. While the camera does slightly bulge out, I thought this was going to be a problem, but don't notice it in my pocket, and hasn't caused any issues.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best feature high end phone still available, and even though it's old I've thought about ordering another unlocked one from MS just so I have a back up if this one fails.

We should be getting the free upgrade to Windows 10 on the device as well when it's available.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    GTIR->SE-R->RDX->SLT->S60->LS460

^^^^Agreed. I love the camera on the 1020 but the screen was too small for my taste.
    Stupidity is a disease we all have, it's like a form of brain herpes. Outbreaks will occasionally occur.

My Ride
    IS350

I'm using an iPhone 6 but I have a Nokia 1520 as well. Can't say enough about the Windows OS (with the latest udpates). I think it's way more intuitive compared to the iPhone and they've been great about pushing out updates. When Windows 10 rolls out I'll switch back to check it out. The 1520 is 6" so it's gigantic but beautiful screen and still a great camera (although not as intense as the 1020)

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

I'm kind of interested in getting a new phone. Currently using a Nexus 5. Having had the iOS, and Android experience, the Windows experience interests me. I played with an 830 at the Microsoft store in Chinook, and it seemed pretty intuitive and easy to use. I have a couple questions though.

Will the 830 get the Windows 10 update?
    Where can I search for available apps? I love being able to bank on my phone, and mainly want to see if First Calgary has a banking app for Windows.

My Ride
    IS350

Originally posted by ZMan2k2
    I'm kind of interested in getting a new phone. Currently using a Nexus 5. Having had the iOS, and Android experience, the Windows experience interests me. I played with an 830 at the Microsoft store in Chinook, and it seemed pretty intuitive and easy to use. I have a couple questions though.

Will the 830 get the Windows 10 update?
    Where can I search for available apps? I love being able to bank on my phone, and mainly want to see if First Calgary has a banking app for Windows.
    I think initially they said all current devices will get Windows 10...that may have changed. Honestly, even the latest 8.1 software I find much preferable to iOS. But after using Windows phones for over two years I was still disappointed in the app selection. You may be able to search here to see if there is an app for yout bank

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ca/store

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

Thanks for the info, and link. Doesn't look like my bank has an app though. I could use Explorer to do things, but it's an extra step. Hmmmmm, I'll think about it.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Stephen81

I think initially they said all current devices will get Windows 10...that may have changed. Honestly, even the latest 8.1 software I find much preferable to iOS. But after using Windows phones for over two years I was still disappointed in the app selection. You may be able to search here to see if there is an app for yout bank

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ca/store
    Owning a Windows phone is like owning a Mac in the 90s.

Everywhere you go, or anything you like, there's no apps to be had.

Unfortunately, I don't think this situation will change with Windows 10. Not even if Windows 10 triple the market share over night.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Xtrema

Owning a Windows phone is like owning a Mac in the 90s.

Everywhere you go, or anything you like, there's no apps to be had.

Unfortunately, I don't think this situation will change with Windows 10. Not even if Windows 10 triple the market share over night.
    If the phone does 99% of the things you need OUT OF THE BOX then its probably OK to get a WP.

Agreed though that they are great devices, just lacking support - for now.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast