Quantcast
Saudi man sentence to paralysis as retribution for stabbing. eye for an eye, justice? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Saudi man sentence to paralysis as retribution for stabbing. eye for an eye, justice?

Default eye for an eye, justice?

harsh or good justice?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/04...over-stabbing/

The Saudi government is sentencing a 24-year-old man to paralysis as retribution for stabbing his friend when the two were teens.

Ali al-Khawahir reportedly stabbed his friend in the back when he was 14-years-old, paralyzing the teen from the waist down.

In return, his victim wants one million Saudi riyals, the equivalent of $270,000, or retribution.

Amnesty International is outraged by the sentence: ”Paralyzing someone as punishment for a crime would be torture,” said Ann Harrison, Middle East and North Africa Deputy Director at Amnesty International.

“That such a punishment might be implemented is utterly shocking, even in a context where flogging is frequently imposed as a punishment for some offences, as happens in Saudi Arabia.”

I have been frightened to death whenever I think about my son’s fate and that he will have to be paralyzed
    Although al-Khawahir’s mother says she feels sorry for the victim and that he deserves millions in compensation, it is not something they can afford.

“Ten years have passed with hundreds of sleepless nights. My hair has become grey at a young age because of my son’s problem,” she told the Saudi Gazette. “I have been frightened to death whenever I think about my son’s fate and that he will have to be paralyzed.”

Retribution sentences have included eye-gouging, tooth extraction and death for murder, according to Amnesty. If the paralysis sentencing is carried through, it would go against the UN Convention against Torture, which Saudi Arabia is a part of.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Torture? too bad. What do you think the victim is going through every day because of this meat heads actions. He stabbed him, not like it was an accident.

I agree with it.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by spikers
    Torture? too bad. What do you think the victim is going through every day because of this meat heads actions. He stabbed him, not like it was an accident.

I agree with it.
    Exactly why I hope in every drunk driver (and other) accidents that if only one party lives, it's the driver. So they can live with the mental torture.

That said, I'm impartial on the OP.
    Last edited by jwslam; 04-03-2013 at 06:59 PM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

If the kid was an adult when he did this, I wouldn't really have a major issue with it. But we all did stupid things as teens and I'm not sure an eye for an eye should really applicable in this case... especially since the family can't afford financial retribution.

But whatever... not sure why this is even making news... we all know the middle east is fucked so not much surprises me coming from that region of the world.

Eye for an eye is the dumbest thing Ive heard of .. He was 14 and we dont know the back story .. Shit happens , send the stabber to jail and make him suffer that way.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    is wild

I agree with it.

yup, solid justice in my book.

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by JAYMEZ
    Eye for an eye is the dumbest thing Ive heard of .. He was 14 and we dont know the back story.
    This. Either jail or death. Creating another cripple doesn't help anyone.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Originally posted by Kloubek
    If the kid was an adult when he did this, I wouldn't really have a major issue with it. But we all did stupid things as teens and I'm not sure an eye for an eye should really applicable in this case... especially since the family can't afford financial retribution.

But whatever... not sure why this is even making news... we all know the middle east is fucked so not much surprises me coming from that region of the world.
    Its not as though the kid did't grow up in that country and was't aware of the religion and punishment given there for serious crimes. If you are old enough to stab another teen in the back and paralyze them, then you are old enough to receive the punishment.

I agree it is an unusual punishment but that is how their country is run and that is what they believe in.

[url]

I’m surprised at some of the comments in this thread. An eye for an eye? What is this, 4000 years ago? First off, it’s an eye for an eye, unless you’re rich. Then you can buy your way out, sounds fair? Also, can’t wait for the first case where some guy gets his eyes taken out or paralyzed then 1 year later gets exonerated through appeal or DNA evidence. Sorry brah, you were innocent too bad you’re paralyzed for life though. Not to mention this guy was 14 years old. He should be punished, locked up, but this is the definition of cruel and unusual punishment if there ever was one.

My Ride
    oooo

Uh... did you miss the part where it says this happened when he was 14 years old? A lot of you on here are probably 16 so 14 seems pretty grown up.

When you get a little bit older you realize that 14 is still a little kid.

My 5 year old took $20.00 from my wifes purse the other day, according to Saudi law can I go ahead and chop his hand off?
    Last edited by sillysod; 04-04-2013 at 08:12 AM.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by sillysod
    Uh... did you miss the part where it says this happened when he was 14 years old? A lot of you on here are probably 16 so 14 seems pretty grown up.

When you get a little bit older you realize that 14 is still a little kid.

My 5 year old took $20.00 from my wifes purse the other day, according to Saudi law can I go ahead and chop his hand off?
    Maybe, but a more relevant punishment following the theme of the OP would be to take $20 from your son.

Remember, we may find this barbaric or whatever, but remember this is a different culture with different beliefs and practices. While we may not like it, we must respect it.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    R6///R50

Originally posted by BigMass
    I’m surprised at some of the comments in this thread. An eye for an eye? What is this, 4000 years ago? First off, it’s an eye for an eye, unless you’re rich. Then you can buy your way out, sounds fair? Also, can’t wait for the first case where some guy gets his eyes taken out or paralyzed then 1 year later gets exonerated through appeal or DNA evidence. Sorry brah, you were innocent too bad you’re paralyzed for life though. Not to mention this guy was 14 years old. He should be punished, locked up, but this is the definition of cruel and unusual punishment if there ever was one.
    100% agreed.

This scenario is ridiculous, and highly primitive.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I bet crime rates are lower over there.

Our justice/prison system doesn't seem to be working too well. I'd like to see more canings for minor crimes.

"An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind."

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

While we may not like it, we must respect it.
    Why do I have to respect it? I don't respect it at all, fuck those guys.

As others have said, if the crime were committed by an adult with a fully developed set of faculties I may have a different opinion. Given the supporting facts provided in this case I would agree that the punishment can only be viewed as excessive at best. Especially since the option to buy his way out was given.

Once you put a price tag on "justice" it basically boils down to being punished for being poor and if you support that, your vision is clouded to some extent.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 04-04-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

People who are supporting this are severly under-educated. The world is evolving and we have realized since that even the death penalty serves no purpose. Primitive thinking is primitive.
    Originally posted by theken
    Off duty cop means not a cop. At that time he is a normal person.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Yes. Just like a ninja in street clothes isn't a ninja.

My Ride
    M3P

This made me LOL.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by kertejud2
    "An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind."
    Not true. There will be one person at the end with one eye. Nobody in their right mind would stand still and let a blind man take out their one remaining eye, especially since the one-eyed man is king in the land of the blind.

As to the sentence, I don't really have a problem with it. It's their culture, their rules. By what right do we have to pass judgement on them and call them primitive? I highly doubt that we're subjectively any better with our legal system.
    Last edited by codetrap; 04-04-2013 at 09:31 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Originally posted by codetrap
    Not true. There will be one person at the end with one eye. Nobody in their right mind would stand still and let a blind man take out their one remaining eye, especially since the one-eyed man is king in the land of the blind.
    A king who's kingdom cannot see, and thus would not know he is king. Then, in a moment of hubris, he demands that one of his subjects feel to see he still has his eye and is truly the king of the land, only to have it plucked out.

My Ride
    Corvette

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast