Quantcast
Chevrolet Volt Drivers Averaging 900 Miles Between Fill-Ups - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet Volt Drivers Averaging 900 Miles Between Fill-Ups

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Default Chevrolet Volt Drivers Averaging 900 Miles Between Fill-Ups

http://www.dailytech.com/Chevrolet+V...ticle30272.htm

The EPA gave the Volt a rating of 98 MPGe

General Motors (GM) was happy to announce that Chevrolet Volt owners have been reaching -- and even exceeding -- the EPA estimated electric range.

According to GM, typical Volt owners are traveling about 900 miles between trips to the gas station. The EPA gave the Volt a rating of 98 MPGe.

GM even found a few owners who reported seldom stops for gasoline during their time of Volt ownership. Brent Waldrep from Michigan, who has had his Volt for 21 months, has racked up over 23,500 miles and visited a gas station only twice.

“The last time, was in August (2012), and I still have about 65 percent of that tank left," said Waldrep. "I go about 9,000-10,000 miles between fill ups.”

Other customers are seeing similar results. For instance, Larry Read from Texas has only filled his tank once in 5,000 miles. Paul Friday from California said he gets about 7,000 miles between gas fill-ups.

“We’ve seen and heard from our Volt owners that they are achieving fantastic performance numbers with their vehicle as many are beating the EPA label estimates,” said Cristi Landy, Chevrolet Volt marketing director. “Our Volt owners are showing the performance potential of driving electric, and having fun doing it.”

GM even said Volt drivers are the most satisfied in the EV industry.

The Volt had a good sales year in 2012, with over 20,000 sold.

]b\In fact, Chevrolet saw a low sales month for the Volt in November 2012 not because demand was low -- but rather, because demand was too high. It said there was low inventory for the Volt for that month because demand had been high in previous months.[/b]

The Nissan Leaf -- one of the Volt's competitors -- had to admit that it wasn’t going to hit its sales mark for 2012, which was 20,000 Leafs. Nissan only sold 9,819 Leafs for the whole year -- less than half of its goal, and only 1.5 percent higher than the number it sold in 2011.

However, Nissan is trying to pick that number up. It started Leaf production in the U.S. back in January.

Source: General Motors
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

That's all fine and dandy but I'm still not sold on the electric car crap.

Go nuclear and I'll start listening but as long as you're still burning coal, damming up rivers and dealing with rolling brown-outs due to power shortages in peak months then you're not helping the environment you naive hippy dickheads.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Go nuclear and I'll start listening but as long as you're still burning coal, damming up rivers and dealing with rolling brown-outs due to power shortages in peak months then you're not helping the environment you naive hippy dickheads.
    Yeah, you're right. A 1.6L gasoline engine is totally more efficient than a 700MW coal power plant.

And dumping your emissions into the middle of densely populated areas is way more environmentally friendly then out a smoke stack full of state of the art scrubbing technology in the middle of nowhere full of state of the art scrubbing technology

Even powered by 100% coal electric cars produce less pollution than internal combustion engines.

The whole battery manufacturing/recycling process I have no clue about, I know nickel mining is very dirty, so I won't speak to that part of the equation because I don't have much knowledge about it.

Agreed! Just because the polution isn't in their backyard, doesn't mean it isn't in someone else's.

-- unless they recharged their cars from solar or wind, which I doubt they did.

Originally posted by bspot
    And dumping your emissions into the middle of densely populated areas
    This issue is the only perceived benefit I see to electric cars. I can see why they are important in areas like southern California.

My Ride

Originally posted by bspot
    And dumping your emissions into the middle of densely populated areas is way more environmentally friendly then out a smoke stack full of state of the art scrubbing technology in the middle of nowhere full of state of the art scrubbing technology
    So, because the net pollution and environmental impact is in someone else's backyard it's better? That's about as good an argument as saying that I don't care about the murder rate in my city because no one in my gated, upper class community has been killed for years.

I understand it's not popular to not support electric vehicles but that doesn't mean it's an invalid position.

Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 04-05-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

The volt is a decent car, you sit in it, and its not bad at all. I like the exterior styling a lot as well. I was checking them out when I was at the dealership picking up my Regal GS.

Unlike the Leaf, which gives people the impression you have Richard Simmons posters on your bedroom wall.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Bicycle

So, because the net pollution and environmental impact is in someone else's backyard it's better? That's about as good an argument as saying that I don't care about the murder rate in my city because no one in my gated, upper class community has been killed for years.

I understand it's not popular to not support electric vehicles but that doesn't mean it's an invalid position.

I think it's a direction we have to go to and it's a baby step.

It makes sense if you live in large urban city that has temperatures fluctuation between 0 -30c year round.

Sure battery manufacturing is dirty and most of our power is dirty but at least we have some clean option for the latter.

If we don't have freezing temps, a DD Leaf make sense.

My Ride
    Giant Reign

The coal argument is a bit weak, Canada is going through a transition off of coal power. In twenty years it'll be gone and we'll be generating electricity from renewable sources and gas (much cleaner than coal). I also don't know a lot about the environmental impacts of batteries, so I can't speak to that.

There is a lot of progress being made on renewable power generation right now, in our lifetimes we should see a pretty dramatic shift in where we get our power from. That's why I think it's important to drive electric vehicles, the industry needs time to develop better technology and make production less impactful and more efficient.
    Several studies have investigated the relationship between intelligence and the degree of religious belief (excluding humanism), with most showing an inverse correlation between intelligence averages and the "importance of religion" to the testee.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

I wonder if these guys filling up once every 6 month use fuel stabilizers?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

Originally posted by calgarygts
    The coal argument is a bit weak, Canada is going through a transition off of coal power. In twenty years it'll be gone and we'll be generating electricity from renewable sources and gas (much cleaner than coal).
    The coal comment was pointed more at the U.S., where the majority of these vehicles are being used.

I understand it's a transitional period and, ultimately, they will be a viable option when appropriate power generation is available - hence the nuclear comment. My opinion is more pointed at all the assholes who actually think they're saving the world right now by driving one.

Yes, I like nuclear power.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 04-05-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

The coal comment was pointed more at the U.S., where the majority of these vehicles are being used.
    With the price of natural gas staying low, even in the US many power plants are planning to move to natural gas from coal.

Why do you have issues with Hydro power? What's wrong with flooding a few thousand hectares in northern Manitoba to generate power?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Darkane
    I wonder if these guys filling up once every 6 month use fuel stabilizers?
    No, because its not neccessary (and hasnt been for a looooong time). Did you know some new cars don't even have fuel filters on them? Thats how high the quality of fuel is now (and how clean it is).

My Ride
    Ev0

Just an article out there... Canada is one of the cleaner places around the world as far as generating electricity goes...

The figures get better in countries such as Canada and France, which rely almost solely on hydro-electric and nuclear power for their power grid. Emissions is 115 g CO2 e/km while they’re double-digits in France at 93 g CO2 e/km. Fuel economy figures? Gasoline-powered vehicles in those countries would have to achieve 87 mpg (Canada) and over 115 mpg in France in emissions to achieve such low figures.

http://www.earthtechling.com/2013/02...d-world-study/

Sorry can't recall a ICE car that gets 87 mpg routinely...
    The real answer would be to go back to steam power...
    Last edited by BigBadVlad; 04-05-2013 at 01:03 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by sputnik
    Why do you have issues with Hydro power? What's wrong with flooding a few thousand hectares in northern Manitoba to generate power?
    I don't have issues with hydro power. It was just referred to as an example of "environmental impact". Too many idiots seem to think that if it doesn't burn as much of that evil, dirty oil then it has to be good for the environment.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

No, because its not neccessary (and hasnt been for a looooong time). Did you know some new cars don't even have fuel filters on them? Thats how high the quality of fuel is now (and how clean it is).
    I beg to differ. Twice with husky 94 and shell 91 after 90 days my civic will not start colder than -20 with a custom tune unless I have fresh gas.

I could add more fuel to the maps but it starts with fresh fuel.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

So, because the net pollution and environmental impact is in someone else's backyard it's better?

Its less net pollution though.

The fact it is in someone else's backyard is a huge health benefit for anyone living in a city.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Who gives a shit about the environmental impact those MPG #'s are awesome to see in a ICE/Hybrid type vehicle. You want clean transportation, ride a bike. Calgary seems to love bikes more than cars anyways...

My Ride
    Hondas

Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
    Who gives a shit about the environmental impact those MPG #'s are awesome to see in a ICE/Hybrid type vehicle. You want clean transportation, ride a bike. Calgary city council seems to love bikes more than cars anyways...
    Fixed.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by BigBadVlad

Sorry can't recall a ICE car that gets 87 mpg routinely...
    The real answer would be to go back to steam power...
    Yeah since those coal powered furnaces are known to be not only brilliantly efficient, but also very easy on the environment.
    yes, thats it.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast