Quantcast
Cost to mount my new springs on my struts - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cost to mount my new springs on my struts

My Ride
    99 civic

Default Cost to mount my new springs on my struts

So if been debating paying to have them installed into my car instead of doing it myself so ive called around to get quotes. Ive called a few different places and to mount my new struts and springs ( skunk2 ) and to do an outer tie rod on driver side with al alignment is 680$.... seems steep so i said maybe i should just do it myself, so i called a few more shops to see how much to just install the springs onto my struts for me ( they are out of the car already ) and they want 46$ a strut, so close to 200$ after tax!! does this not seem excessive? I could go buy a spring compressor for 30$ from crappy auto and do it myself but i dont have the proper tools or an impact to do so. Ugh wish i had moore time... sorry this is just sort of a rant

Do you live in a world were every one works for free?
    Shop rates in calgary are $120 to $160 an hour. Its 5.4 hours to put springs in your civic. 1.1 hours to do the tie rod end, and a $140 wheel alignment.
    Have you ever been hit in the face by a coil spring? use a $30 compressors and you will find out how much it hurts.

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Check auto value. They might still rent out their spring compressors for free (just put a deposit down).

I used them when I did the pathfinder struts a couple years back.
    Signature..... I ate it!!

My Ride
    99 civic

that 5.4 hours includes the mounting of the spring on the strut ? if so thats a bargain, where can i go to get such a deal

My Ride
    2004 Subaru WRX Wagon

autovalue still rents them out for free. took me probably 2 hours to remove stuts, put springs on and put them back in. it was my first time doing it and was super easy. $600 is fucking ridiculous.

i can't image it's much harder on a honda than a subaru, they're both easy to work on.

My Ride
    99 civic

i know its easy i used to do it myself back home ( i just moved to calgary ) i swapped out my coils in about 2 hours all 4 corners back home. This is only reason im frustrated, as i used to work on my shit myself all the time, but i just dont have the place to do it here in calgary so im just alittle taken back what people pay for mechanical work. Im not trying to "complain" about how much its costing, although it may seem that way im just upset i may have to pay it when im more than capable of doing it on my own given i find a place to do it lol

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

$200 is cheap! I would run with that one

Just do it in your parking stall or alley. If they are already out of the car what's the problem? Just get a buddy to stand on them and you're good to go.

My Ride
    99 civic

i should just quit bitchin and get it done, im just worried imma bust a bolt or something in my driveway and be fugged.

Originally posted by CPrailer
    that 5.4 hours includes the mounting of the spring on the strut ? if so thats a bargain, where can i go to get such a deal
    5.4 hours is the published labor time from honda to replace all 4 springs.
    I can can do all of the springs plus a alignment in under 3 hours, but thats not how it works. You still have to pay the 5.4 hours.

My Ride
    99 civic

ya i know what your saying HO2S. Well all my parts showed up just now, so im gonna just go buy everything i need and replace it all myself. I had a better look so i can order everything and do it all in 1 shot and it looks like its my Inner tie rod not my outer.. so hopefully i can find an inner tie rod tool or i guess il just wrench it? :P i think il buy some penetrating lube and start spraying the bolts this weekend and next week to help loosen it all up and then do it next weekend ( snow permitting.. )

My Ride
    surprisingly still works...

I see you drive a 99 civic. This implies you have rusty LCA bolts in the rear. now doing it yourself is the best way, but I would recommend you go to honda and buy new bolts, and soak them in anti corrosion suff first before putting them back in.

Not to scare you off it, but when I did my car, the first time went smoothly, but when I changed springs again, one of the bolts seized to a shock and it snapped coming out, which cost a decent amount of cash to fix.

Best of luck!
    1974 RA21 - garage Ornament
    1996 EJ6 - Because ricecar
    1977 RA29 - 20V 4age (or something) swap in progress

My Ride
    99 civic

Originally posted by Kylehugo
    I see you drive a 99 civic. This implies you have rusty LCA bolts in the rear. now doing it yourself is the best way, but I would recommend you go to honda and buy new bolts, and soak them in anti corrosion suff first before putting them back in.

Not to scare you off it, but when I did my car, the first time went smoothly, but when I changed springs again, one of the bolts seized to a shock and it snapped coming out, which cost a decent amount of cash to fix.

Best of luck!

thank you, ive begun spraying them with penetrating lube for when i start pulling it all apart next friday. If it breaks it breaks, oh well

Spraying them is not going to do shit. The bushing is too long and the fluid cannot penetrate all the way through.
    Order new bolts and nuts. If the bolts are seized get a good 1/2 impact (like a 1000ft/lbs one) and start cranking on the bolt. At the same time get another person with a air hammer and start pushing the bolt out of the control arm. That works most of the time. Ive gotten a few out by taking the strut and lower control arm out and pressing the bolt out on the press. After that and it still wont come out, buy a new control arm.

Another thing that I should add is, the crappy spring compressors that you can rent are really crappy, especially on tight honda coils. A few months ago I got hit in the stomach with a coil from a f150. It hurt, If it hit me in the head it probably would have killed me. And that was with a top of the line $800 compressor. Know what your getting into before you get hurt.
    Last edited by HO2S; 04-06-2013 at 11:42 AM.

My Ride
    Toyota 4Runner

I had the same sticker shock issue. Moved here from 204. There is a place in town that rents a hoist and tools, just search for "mechanic bay rental" also, after getting a few quotes I found a reasonable place. Took 2 weeks to get everything done.

Extra Tech wanted $4000 and wouldn't take my provided parts. They wanted to flush the power steering, replace bushings on the rack and an inner tie rod end. Guy seemed insulted when I asked him why they wouldn't just replace the rack with that much work? (2000 labor, 2000 parts)
    Midas on 32nd wanted $1800 with my own parts.
    Perfect Score on 12th was very reasonable, $870 estimate, $1037 final (extra time for broken bolts).

Parts replaced on the 4runner were both front lower ball joints, steering rack, tie rod ends, and all bushings for the suspension as well as two stripped nuts on the tie rods ordered from Toyota. Total parts cost $550 after core return (all OEM or better). Then an alignment and a power steering flush. The labor cost included drilling out four bolts on the back axle that broke off for the stabilizer brackets. $1587 and my 400,000km truck drives like it's brand new again.

Can you bring your steak to The Keg and have them cook it for you? Why is it "accepted" in the automotive community to bring your own parts in and then bitch about labour rates?

My Ride
    Toyota 4Runner

Originally posted by coachhines
    Can you bring your steak to The Keg and have them cook it for you? Why is it "accepted" in the automotive community to bring your own parts in and then bitch about labour rates?
    Lets be clear on this. Above I'm bitching about price gouging practices, not rates. Being from Winnipeg I'm very, very sensitive to this.

If it costs less and is a better idea to replace the overall component, why suggest replacing a bunch of little parts attached to it?

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I have a spring compressor, I could do it for you for a case of beer if you bring the struts over.

My Ride
    Toyota 4Runner

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    I have a spring compressor, I could do it for you for a case of beer if you bring the struts over.
    That's the spirit. Community.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

It's a horrible job, stop complaining and either do it yourself or pay the $400- $600 lol. Kudos to Maxx Mazda for offering his services.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    99 civic

Maxx thanks a ton for your offer mate. And yes car is being torn down wendsday and it will be done for weekend hopefully. Maybe i can make the meet next wends, and meet some people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast