Quantcast
Elysium - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elysium

Default Elysium

Looks sick. I really enjoyed District 9. It would have been nice if Peter Jackson and Neill Blomkamp had done the Halo movie.

My Ride
    14 fit, 11 Ridgeline, 12 outlander

I like the Bugatti emblem lol
    Originally posted by Unknown303
    Everything makes me upset.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default Re: Elysium

Originally posted by beecue

Looks sick. I really enjoyed District 9. It would have been nice if Peter Jackson and Neill Blomkamp had done the Halo movie.
    Seems like a lot concept work for Halo ended up here.

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Default Re: Re: Elysium

Originally posted by Xtrema

Seems like a lot concept work for Halo ended up here.
    Nah, Blomkamp just has a thing for "space stations" ... all his stories, going back to well before Halo even existed, have some sort of spaceship or station in them.

Looks awesome. I can't wait. District 9 breathed life back into the then dying science fiction film genre... let's hope this, along with all the other upcoming sci-fi blockbusters, continue that trend into perpetuity.

2nd trailer makes it look like a movie with a plot

I will see this
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Wow, now it makes sense. HAHA

Looks good.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Gonna be seeing that
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by ZEDGE
    Wow, now it makes sense. HAHA

Looks good.

Not just "I have to get to Elysium..." They could have included a bit of the plot in the original, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    TDi

Hah first trailer was just a bunch of random scenes. +1 for trailer 2 explaining a lot more
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by 403ep3
    Hah first trailer was just a bunch of random scenes. +1 for trailer 2 explaining a lot more
    Well, after trailer 2, I don't think I need to watch the movie any more. It gave everything away.

My Ride
    '05 Wrx stage 2

Went and saw this yesterday. Very solid movie. If you're into futuristic gadgets and like sci-fi you will probably like this movie. A bit of cheesey stuff but I was so blown away by the creativity of the future technology that I let it slide.

Yeah it was pretty good but not as good as District 9. I had a hard time understanding the spider guy.

Movie was very heavy handed and all of its characters one-dimensional... really had higher hopes for it, was a big fan of District 9 and Matt Damon is one of my favorite actors.

6.5/10

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I agree with Super_Geo, but actually enjoyed it. I mean, it's in essence an action flick so you expect some cheese and questionable characters. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Very disappointed with this movie. So many heavy handed and eye rolling moments. The story was complete garbage and wasn't impressed with sci-fi element. Thought the medibed in the trailer was just a small glimpse of future tech and it ended up being the main focal point. And it wasn't all that interesting. Just shines some light over you and you're cured. Almost fell asleep during the second half of the movie.

Spoiler:
    Some of the dumbest moments include: Hacking into the system in less than a minute and changing Earth citizens from illegal to legal fixes everything. "Rebooting" the entire system like a laptop. Medibeds laid out in the kitchen of every home in Elysium.

This movie did not have a brain.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Disappointed as well. Weak story, Jody Foster over acting, twitchy cameras... no where near as good as District 9.

Still blown away the bad guy with the sword was the main character in District 9.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

Heard a few people snoring... Nuff said. I agree with the last few posted. Disappointed.
    you aint dubbin. if you aint rubbin.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

saw it last night, should have saw pacific rim instead...

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

I'm a bit torn on it...

*Minor Spoilers below*

I did enjoy it, but it was nowhere near the quality of District 9. I felt the characters were extremely one dimensional and I really didn't care about anybody - even Matt Damon.

Also I wasn't very impressed with the exoskeleton use. It did nothing other than rip a harness off a crashed ship and tear a head off of a droid, that's about it.

Krugar wasn't used to his full potential. I expected him to be a bit more ruthless and menacing... Sharlto Copley was EXCELLENT in District 9. I hated Wikus in the beginning , but you really sympathized with him towards the middle/end, even though you could see his selfishness throughout the entire film. In this, I found him to be a more annoying villain. Maybe it's his voice, but he didn't seem threatening in any manor and never really a threat.

The bouncy cam was fucking aggravating. It's always been one of my main gripes and the only movie I found it worked in was the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, every other movie it's simply laziness. Be it Transformers, Hunger Games, to Elysium - bouncy cam used inappropriately - and consistently throughout the ENTIRE film - is terrible. I'd rather watch a fucking 3D movie and I hate 3D.

I feel the film got tied up WAAAAY too much on the health care issue discussed above. The inspiration was really interesting for this film, Blomkamp was in Mexico and got picked up by a corrupt mexican cop with another director (or producer... i forget, they were shooting a Nike commercial if I recall) and he said when they ended up paying the cop off, he dropped them off in middle of nowhere, so they had to walk back to America. When they got to the border, after walking through all these slums - they saw the border in middle of the night with these giant flood lights staring down at these poor neighbourhoods & people in mexico and he realized how stark the contrast is of the "free world" just 50 feet away , right next to poverty. They never TOTALLY explored this in the film but rather "Hey, we just want to get up there to get cured!" I mean, I understand the health care message , but I felt almost guilty that I was sympathizing with the people on Elysium. I wouldn't be happy if I worked my bag off to live up there, and then random drop ships were appearing for homeless people to smash in my windows and use my medicare bed.

That being said.... (major spoilers below)

Spoiler:
    When all people were activated as being citizens of Elysium and drop ships landed which had the beds in them, and were droid operated - i then sympathized with the people on earth because I just thought "Well, NOW the people of Elysium just look lazy that they had this and didn't want to help the people of Earth, and they wouldn't have had to even lift a finger.

One big issue I had as well is - congrats - you wrote a code/virus/boot sequence to change the code of all people everywhere to be citizens in Elysium. What's to say , 24 hours later somebody on Elysium doesn't simply code it back and everything reverts back to normal?

I'd give the movie a 7/10 (being generous because I enjoy sci-fi...). I did enjoy it, but didn't like that literally ALL of the action scenes were in the trailer. Trailers are giving away TOO much - like District 9 - i remember the trailer of the robot suit catching the rocket the guy was firing at the space ship - that was a pinnacle moment in the plot, so when I watched the film, i felt no tension in that moment since i knew it was coming.
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast